Photo

Corkage Fees?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SheriB

SheriB
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:21 AM

Can anyone tell me about their experience with corkage fees at the AHR venues? I am just starting my search for a venue and keep running into this and am not sure I understand what corkage fees mean. It seems to be different according to type of venue - local hall vs. hotel. There is huge difference in what they are too - from 0$ to $13 from what I have seen so far. Any advice?

#2 futuremrsgoodrich

futuremrsgoodrich
    • 361 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

We found a place that doesnt have corkage fees... My advice would be to call your local chamber of commerce and ask for a list of local reception sites and then cross your fingers that you find one who doesnt charge a fee... Corkage fees stink, I agree!!

#3 shellk

shellk
      • 1,784 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

i know what you mean its ridiculous for someone to charge you for taking 3seconds to open a bottle for you.i think they only charge you a corkage fee when you have bought the bottles into the venue rather than buy theirs.but because of the prices places charge for wine etc it still normally works out cheaper

#4 katnip

katnip
        • 32 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

We just ran into this with our hall. When we got the prices for wine it was $26 a bottle, or $8 corking fee if we provide our own wine...definatly cheaper to get our own.

#5 stacey

stacey

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 4,853 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

Depending on where you go, some resturaunts will waive the corkage fee for each bottle of wine you buy. So if you buy a cheap bottle of white, then you can bring in a nice bottle of red, and the corkage will be waived.
            You also have to understand that while it make only take them 5 seconds to pop a cork, most resturaunts rely on alcohal sales to make their revenue. So if you are not buying what they have to offer they have to make their money somehow.
            Hope that helps
            Stacey & Ely 10.14.2008

#6 JenniferSS

JenniferSS

Banned

• Banned
            • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

In addition the facility has to have a liquor license and also an alcohol liability insurance just to allow wine or spirits on site - those cost a small fortune!

Many facilities also have to train their employees about their states laws about who to serve- even if you bring the alcohol but they uncork and serve it to a minor or if somewone gets drunk and injured or injures someone else they are liable and can get slapped with huge fines and may even loose their licensing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users