Jump to content

Any Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Brides out there?


Recommended Posts

I just took $40 for a tip and gave $20 to Donnalee and $20 to Chandlyn. They both helped me a lot, so I thought that they both deserved a tip. I have heard some people bring jewelry, make-up, or things that they typically wouldn't get down there. I just thought that cash would be best (with a nice card), that way they could use it for whatever they needed.
The safe is extra ($6/day with a $50 deposit upon arrival), unless you upgrade to the "golden" package of room class. Then your room safe is free. I know that some people paid for the safe (me), while others did not (my mother) and no one in my group had a problem with stealing.  Hope that helps! :)

Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum but I have just had my wedding at GBP confirmed for Friday 26th April 2013 and came across this forum when googling to see other peoples opinions on the hotel etc.  I'm so glad I did because most of the comments have put my mind at rest that everything will be ok! After reading some not too good reviews on Trip Advisor I had started to panic a bit. Everybody that has posted pictures on here, you all look amazing and so happy..  :o)   I just wondered (AngelaCollins) what do you suggest as a tip for the WC? I'm trying to calculate how much additional cash we're going to need to take and until I saw your post I hadn't even thought of having to tip the WC! doh...Also is it true that you have to pay additional to have a safe in your room at GBP? and if so does anyone know how much it costs for 2 weeks hire?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Jenn

 

I think things work differently for us here in the UK to how you in Canada book because I did all my booking through a UK tour operator so the only deposit we have had to pay is to the tour operator for the holiday package. I take it people in the USA and Canada book their weddings direct with the hotel? so unfortunately I can't help with your queries on the deposit of 25% etc as it works completely different for me in the UK.  In my emails to Chandlyn I have asked about what colour scheme and bouquets etc are available and she has replied ( always within 2 days ) saying that I can go through everything with her once I get to the resort next year and that I dont need to pre-book now.  Hopefully a bride on here from Canada will be able to help you out with the deposit query! :o)  I think the steel band is definitely the way to go. Many congratulations by the way....its very exciting hey!?! SJ x

Originally Posted by JennS View Post

Hi SarahJ,

 

I have been in contact back and forth with Chandlyn re: my January 2013 wedding but she has not gotten back to me about the deposit yet.  Did you have to give it right away and did you just send the form with your credit card information in by fax??  Also, has she made you decided on cake flavours, chair covers etc yet??  I dont quite understand what they mean when they say 25% because you we wont knot exactly what our cost is until we decide on all the fine details or is it just 25% of the cost of the package?  P.S.  I've yet to hear a bad thing on this forum about the steel drum band.  I think were going to go with them also.

 

Jenn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Angela

 

Thanks for the advice on the tips - i'm glad I checked because I was thinking it would have to be about $100 tip (whoops - lol!) so your $20 is more affordable for us. :o) Thanks.  I cant believe they make us pay for the use of a safe - we have paid alot of money for our package holiday to this hotel and to then charge extra for a safe is new to me....I've never been to a hotel before where the safe wasn't included in the room free of charge! :o(  Thanks for your help :o) SJ x

Originally Posted by AngelaCollins View Post

I just took $40 for a tip and gave $20 to Donnalee and $20 to Chandlyn. They both helped me a lot, so I thought that they both deserved a tip. I have heard some people bring jewelry, make-up, or things that they typically wouldn't get down there. I just thought that cash would be best (with a nice card), that way they could use it for whatever they needed.
The safe is extra ($6/day with a $50 deposit upon arrival), unless you upgrade to the "golden" package of room class. Then your room safe is free. I know that some people paid for the safe (me), while others did not (my mother) and no one in my group had a problem with stealing.  Hope that helps! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Transportation to the gazebo is including even in the free package.  The guests were on their own to get down there, but I was taken along with my bridal party and my parents (they both walked me down the aisle) on this little golf cart van thing down to the site.  And they make it so you are hidden until you walk down the aisle, so no one can see you before.  If you are contemplating going up a package just for that, its not worth it as its included in the free package. Government fees are the minister fees and all the fees to get your marriage license (the resort does everything for you).

 

We paid about $1600 in total for everything for Merrick Cousley.  I know his prices have gone up, however, I'm not sure what they are now.  We went with just the basic package which included all our photos on a disc that we were free to print out on our own.  He would be considered an outside vendor, however, we never had to pay an outside vendor fee for him to come to the resort to do our photos. 

Originally Posted by JennS View Post

Thank you for your help girls.  We have been contimplating bwtn the free package or this next one up which includes transport to the gazebo but are unsure if it is worth the extra $$.  Did you and your guests walk to the gazebo on your own with the free package??  Also, government fees??  I am glad you mentioned that sbelland...this is the first I've heard of them.  What is the fee for? 

 

JayKay...do you mind if I ask what you paid for Merrick Cousley?  Is he considered an outside vendor?  We have a photog tentatively booked from home but I am curious to compare costs.

 

Have a fantastic wedding sbelland....Congratulations!!

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Sarah,

 

Which tour operator are you using from the UK and do you have a tel no for them??  We have about 6-9 family coming from the London area and are not certain on how to go about their booking.  We have been looking into a land only rate at the resort and then booking their flights seperately.

Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post

Hi Jenn

 

I think things work differently for us here in the UK to how you in Canada book because I did all my booking through a UK tour operator so the only deposit we have had to pay is to the tour operator for the holiday package. I take it people in the USA and Canada book their weddings direct with the hotel? so unfortunately I can't help with your queries on the deposit of 25% etc as it works completely different for me in the UK.  In my emails to Chandlyn I have asked about what colour scheme and bouquets etc are available and she has replied ( always within 2 days ) saying that I can go through everything with her once I get to the resort next year and that I dont need to pre-book now.  Hopefully a bride on here from Canada will be able to help you out with the deposit query! :o)  I think the steel band is definitely the way to go. Many congratulations by the way....its very exciting hey!?! SJ x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by JennS View Post

 

Hi Sarah,

 

Which tour operator are you using from the UK and do you have a tel no for them??  We have about 6-9 family coming from the London area and are not certain on how to go about their booking.  We have been looking into a land only rate at the resort and then booking their flights seperately.

 

Hi JennS

 

We booked through First Choice (part of Thomson Group) as they were offering the best price at the time and package.  Our guests have also booked through them. I too looked into booking the rooms direct with the hotel but it worked out much more expensive for us.  Good luck, I hope you manage to get good rates for your family.  If you do find an affordable way keep me posted as I have an Aunty in Canada who I would love to be at the wedding but she has looked into it from Canada and it is too expensive for her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Sarah, I am going to look into First Choice right now.  Where in Canada would your Aunt be departing from??  The price from Toronto at that time is about $1500 (equiv to 940 GBP). Hope that helps!!

Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post

 

Hi JennS

 

We booked through First Choice (part of Thomson Group) as they were offering the best price at the time and package.  Our guests have also booked through them. I too looked into booking the rooms direct with the hotel but it worked out much more expensive for us.  Good luck, I hope you manage to get good rates for your family.  If you do find an affordable way keep me posted as I have an Aunty in Canada who I would love to be at the wedding but she has looked into it from Canada and it is too expensive for her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by JennS View Post

 

Thanks Sarah, I am going to look into First Choice right now.  Where in Canada would your Aunt be departing from??  The price from Toronto at that time is about $1500 (equiv to 940 GBP). Hope that helps!!

 

Hope you managed to get it all booked for your guests departing from London Jenn.  Did you have much luck with First Choice?  Yes my Aunty would be departing from Toronto also but unfortunately it is too expensive for her.  Thanks for the info though!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi ladies! I haven't posted in here in a while because I've been super busy but my wedding is rapidly approaching! (June 21!!) Any ladies who have recently been to Gran Bahia (JayKay?) I have a few questions (and I super apologize if these have been answered, I haven't read through the old posts in months and months and the newer ones that I have skimmed through didn't have these answered):

 

1. When do you make reservations for the restaurants?

2. I requested to be placed in Block 13 because I wanted to be more centralized as per someone's post here, but is there a location others prefered?

3. Anything specific you wish you had brought but didn't or things you brought that you were very happy you did?

4. Anything specific you wish you had known but didn't?

5. What kind of tips did you leave for the bartenders/maid staff? Just trying to get an idea of how much to bring!

 

I am not too nervous or anxious, I feel pretty as ease but I am getting asked some of these questions and I don't really have any answers for some of the guests!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • [URL=https://meettomy.site]Prettys Girls in your city[/URL]
    • Hi everyone! I have been doing lots of research on various wedding venues all around Mexico, my fiance wants a destination wedding and I am happy to have a wedding wherever so long as the vibe is right and guests are happy!  I have been seriously looking at Cabo Azul and was trying to find potential costs for them, but only found a page about their wedding costs from 2010. Does anyone have any updated information on costs / reviews they would like to share of this venue? Or advice in general, anything helps. Thanks so much, happy wedding planning to all!
    • Hello everyone, I am dreaming of a wedding in Costa Rica and was wondering if I could get any help with venues and wedding planners. I am thinking Tamarindo because a close friend of mine lives there and I've been in town more than a couple of times, she's being helpful but is at a loss when it comes to this subject really so I was wondering if anyone here had recommendations. I am not closed to other town suggestions either, if I happen to find a good place and staff somewhere else. These are the places I have so far, has anyone had any experience with any of them?  Stay In Tamarindo Luxury Villas in Costa Rica Luxury Villas Pinilla Tropical Homes of Costa Rica The Point Luxury Villa Thank you so much for your help!
    • Have you ever considered having a wedding inside a bubble? With the current global situation, many couples are looking for unique and creative ways to celebrate their special day while keeping their guests safe. A wedding inside a bubble could provide a whimsical and intimate setting for your ceremony and reception. Imagine saying your vows surrounded by a beautiful bubble filled with twinkling lights and flowers, creating a magical atmosphere for you and your loved ones to enjoy.
    • Adult only resort or not? Let's discuss the pros and cons of choosing an adult-only resort for your honeymoon. While some couples may appreciate the peace and quiet that comes with an adults-only environment, others may prefer a more family-friendly atmosphere. What are your thoughts on this? Have you had any experiences at adult-only resorts that you'd like to share? Let's hear your opinions and recommendations!
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...