Jump to content

Photo

Any Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Brides out there?


  • Please log in to reply
5571 replies to this topic

#2481 Tekeya Thompson

Tekeya Thompson
  • Site Supporter
  • 196 posts

    Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

    Hi FoxyRoxy30!

    Yes the bug thing did cramp the moment.  Like we were in the middle of eatting dessert and my bridesmaid's napkin moved...it was little critters under it.  We didn't want to spoil everyone's elses meal so we just stopped eatting.  The food was good, but I guess because it's so hot in the grill (no air conditioning), it's probably hard to control the pests.  The atmosphere itself is nice, but it is real open.  Buffet style for the appetizers then you order your main course.

     

    I wish ole I wish we had did our First dance/mother son dance at the restaurant because it was hot as HECK at the gazebo that night.  There wasn't much room for the toss in the restaurant but I think we could have done the dance there.  We were sweating bullets inside the gazebo.  When it was time for everyone to dance, we had to dance outside of the gazebo.   I didn't know that about the night time air, never really experienced that before.  I know my photographer will have to do major editing to the photos there because of us both sweating so hard.  So it wasn't a breaker, because we still had a good time, but if I could have done it differently I would have.  Oh make sure if you do the toss at the gazebo to tell them to leave a chair...we didn't have any chairs, so I had to sit on his knee.   It would have even been better to do the dancing and stuff during the ceremony (the wind was blowing fierce, but it wasn't nearly as hot.

    Originally Posted by FoxyRoxy30 

    Tekeya, thank you much for sharing your wedding experience. You look amazing and the pics are FABULOUS! I'm so concerned about GBP now. We are expecting ~ 150 - 175 guests and I can't imagine them eating at a restaurant with roaches and other bugs. That would be such a mess!!

     

    As for the gazebo, was the heat tolerable or unbeaable. I've been to a # of destination weddings in the Caribbean and the heat can make or break it. Do you know if there are other options for the reception. We intended to have dinner at the Grill and then party at the gazebo.

     

    Thanks for any suggestions.



     



    #2482 Tekeya Thompson

    Tekeya Thompson
    • Site Supporter
    • 196 posts

      Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:37 PM


      I am still trying to reach the resort photographer (after 2 weeks) in regards to my photos (the free ones)...

       

      In regards to the flowers, I did use the free bouquet in our package as a toss bouquet (all purple orchids) and it came out fine.
       

      Originally Posted by LJMedic 

      Thanks ACW . . . I have asked for information from the hotel on their packages so just waiting for that. I have noticed alot of girls where talking about prices of flowers. Is that because the free boucette is not nice. As well with the free wedding package what cost have you come across that arent covered. I would love to hear how it goes with the photographer, were not sure if we can afford to hire a photographer but alot of the ladies have mentioned the resort photographer is not that great. Hope you getting excited anyways, thanks for your response;) 

       



       



       



      #2483 daphodil

      daphodil
      • Newbie
      • 23 posts

        Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

        Hey Tekeya,

         

        Forgot to tell you that your pictures were beautiful.  I agree with you about telling it like it is, but I didn't want my thoughts to have anyone second guessing.  Just for the record again, the property is gorgeous and most of the time the food was appetizing.  At the end of the day, we all feel differently about certain things and will have to rely on our own experience.  However, in response to some of the issues acw271011:

         

        My #1 issue is the unprofessionalism that Donnalee showed on the day of the wedding; I had weather issues on my day, but when the rain stopped and the sun came out, I asked a family member to locate Chandlyn or Donnalee about resetting back outside.  Donnalee told my cousin no to the request and when I was contacted, she spoke in a rude tone of voice and told me that she would not have staff reset outside (even though there was still time) and I needed to come to the Foyer. She went back and forth with me and other family members who tried to reason with her until the wedding was reset back at the gazebo. Chandlyn decided there was enough time and gave us our beautiful and romantic view.  Donnalee expressed frustration by being rude to guests and/or showing lack of participation (as per they reported).

         

        2. Make sure you address transportation request for any elderly guests that can't walk the distance and others, dress comfortably; the walk was too far for some of the guests based on the location from the gazebo

        3. Ordered appetizers to be served after the ceremony while bridal party would be taking pictures and guests waited for dinner to start, but they were just dropped off with no one to serve and still not sure all the appetizers made it outside 

        4. When dinner time came around, guests had to wait outside Dolce Vita because it wasn't set up; my family helped with seating.  Also, should have probably asked to see the restaurant to see how guests would be seated cuz had over 100 guests.  Some ppl seemed so distant in relation to where bride & groom sat.  

        5. Be prepared to wait a while for the food and/or drinks; some of my guests had to end up going back to the buffet restaurants because they were diabetics.  Chicken and jerk pork were the bestest.

         

        6. Should have brought OFF spray to deal with mosquitos, but never had this problem when staying at other Jamaican resorts, so was unprepared; but we all dealt with it

        7. Never got the upgrade, but just dealt with it cuz was in honeymoon mode at that time

         

        In the end, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN so you get everything the way you envisioned it.  Don't remember everything right now, but in the end we had a good time and we were happy to be married.  It happened and have no regrets about location.  Remember, the pictures at the resort will always bring a smile to your face.

         

         



        #2484 Tekeya Thompson

        Tekeya Thompson
        • Site Supporter
        • 196 posts

          Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:54 PM


          OMG, I totally forgot about that stuff and the same things happened to us.  My mom who is 55 years old, had to run to the gazebo because the lil shuttle didn't pick her up and no one offered to bring her.  The mosquitos was off the chain, but that was all of jamaica, not just at that resort.  I carried my OFF and told my guests to bring theirs prior.  We had to wait for all guests and my bridesmaids had to help them setup for the reception.  The crazy thing that I just told Cupcakes tonight, we had to be the ONLY wedding they had.  They told me I was the 1st, but there was never a 2nd because we were at the gazebo until 530, then I reserved the gazebo at 8:30, which I was really bothered by because we could have done a later wedding.  I think they adjust it for what is convenient for their schedule, not so much as what other weddings are going on. 

          Originally Posted by daphodil 

          Hey Tekeya,

           

          Forgot to tell you that your pictures were beautiful.  I agree with you about telling it like it is, but I didn't want my thoughts to have anyone second guessing.  Just for the record again, the property is gorgeous and most of the time the food was appetizing.  At the end of the day, we all feel differently about certain things and will have to rely on our own experience.  However, in response to some of the issues acw271011:

           

          My #1 issue is the unprofessionalism that Donnalee showed on the day of the wedding; I had weather issues on my day, but when the rain stopped and the sun came out, I asked a family member to locate Chandlyn or Donnalee about resetting back outside.  Donnalee told my cousin no to the request and when I was contacted, she spoke in a rude tone of voice and told me that she would not have staff reset outside (even though there was still time) and I needed to come to the Foyer. She went back and forth with me and other family members who tried to reason with her until the wedding was reset back at the gazebo. Chandlyn decided there was enough time and gave us our beautiful and romantic view.  Donnalee expressed frustration by being rude to guests and/or showing lack of participation (as per they reported).

           

          2. Make sure you address transportation request for any elderly guests that can't walk the distance and others, dress comfortably; the walk was too far for some of the guests based on the location from the gazebo

          3. Ordered appetizers to be served after the ceremony while bridal party would be taking pictures and guests waited for dinner to start, but they were just dropped off with no one to serve and still not sure all the appetizers made it outside 

          4. When dinner time came around, guests had to wait outside Dolce Vita because it wasn't set up; my family helped with seating.  Also, should have probably asked to see the restaurant to see how guests would be seated cuz had over 100 guests.  Some ppl seemed so distant in relation to where bride & groom sat.  

          5. Be prepared to wait a while for the food and/or drinks; some of my guests had to end up going back to the buffet restaurants because they were diabetics.  Chicken and jerk pork were the bestest.

           

          6. Should have brought OFF spray to deal with mosquitos, but never had this problem when staying at other Jamaican resorts, so was unprepared; but we all dealt with it

          7. Never got the upgrade, but just dealt with it cuz was in honeymoon mode at that time

           

          In the end, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN so you get everything the way you envisioned it.  Don't remember everything right now, but in the end we had a good time and we were happy to be married.  It happened and have no regrets about location.  Remember, the pictures at the resort will always bring a smile to your face.

           

           



           

          Attached Files



          #2485 AngelaandTrevor

          AngelaandTrevor
          • Newbie
          • 54 posts

            Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

            Thanks Daphodil for the information! I've already had a lot of issues with Donnalee and refuse to even discuss anything with her, I just deal with Chandlyn now! Did you close down the restaurant for your dinner? If so was it worth it or would you do it differently? I have 70 plus going to mine and they seem to have all these hidden charges! $2500.00 to close down the restaurant and all that includes is set up of the restaurant and DJ I still have to pay $30 per person for the meal! I was told I have no choice once the party exceeds 80! But when we booked we were never told this at all and we told them there would be over 80 people attending the wedding! I bought all my flowers here! I had them made of silk because I didn't like their prices or flower arrangements. Angela
             

            Originally Posted by daphodil 

            Hey Tekeya,

             

            Forgot to tell you that your pictures were beautiful.  I agree with you about telling it like it is, but I didn't want my thoughts to have anyone second guessing.  Just for the record again, the property is gorgeous and most of the time the food was appetizing.  At the end of the day, we all feel differently about certain things and will have to rely on our own experience.  However, in response to some of the issues acw271011:

             

            My #1 issue is the unprofessionalism that Donnalee showed on the day of the wedding; I had weather issues on my day, but when the rain stopped and the sun came out, I asked a family member to locate Chandlyn or Donnalee about resetting back outside.  Donnalee told my cousin no to the request and when I was contacted, she spoke in a rude tone of voice and told me that she would not have staff reset outside (even though there was still time) and I needed to come to the Foyer. She went back and forth with me and other family members who tried to reason with her until the wedding was reset back at the gazebo. Chandlyn decided there was enough time and gave us our beautiful and romantic view.  Donnalee expressed frustration by being rude to guests and/or showing lack of participation (as per they reported).

             

            2. Make sure you address transportation request for any elderly guests that can't walk the distance and others, dress comfortably; the walk was too far for some of the guests based on the location from the gazebo

            3. Ordered appetizers to be served after the ceremony while bridal party would be taking pictures and guests waited for dinner to start, but they were just dropped off with no one to serve and still not sure all the appetizers made it outside 

            4. When dinner time came around, guests had to wait outside Dolce Vita because it wasn't set up; my family helped with seating.  Also, should have probably asked to see the restaurant to see how guests would be seated cuz had over 100 guests.  Some ppl seemed so distant in relation to where bride & groom sat.  

            5. Be prepared to wait a while for the food and/or drinks; some of my guests had to end up going back to the buffet restaurants because they were diabetics.  Chicken and jerk pork were the bestest.

             

            6. Should have brought OFF spray to deal with mosquitos, but never had this problem when staying at other Jamaican resorts, so was unprepared; but we all dealt with it

            7. Never got the upgrade, but just dealt with it cuz was in honeymoon mode at that time

             

            In the end, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN so you get everything the way you envisioned it.  Don't remember everything right now, but in the end we had a good time and we were happy to be married.  It happened and have no regrets about location.  Remember, the pictures at the resort will always bring a smile to your face.

             

             



             



            #2486 AngelaandTrevor

            AngelaandTrevor
            • Newbie
            • 54 posts

              Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

              Thanks Tekeya! You are very helpfull on here! If you had it to do over again what would you do differently? What would you suggest for a party of 80 plus? I'm getting married a 4pm in the gazebo! 

               

              Thanks for all your help! Angela



              #2487 monarch

              monarch
              • Newbie
              • 22 posts

                Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

                Hi Daffodil,

                 

                Which month did you go to the resort?  Were the mosquitos bad down at the gazebo?  Tekeya- did you find the mosquitos to be bad?

                 

                 



                #2488 Tekeya Thompson

                Tekeya Thompson
                • Site Supporter
                • 196 posts

                  Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:19 PM


                  I searched through several resorts and only picked Gran Bahia because of the number of people we were expecting (and because some were bringing kids).  I love the people at the resort (a couple of the front desk staff was stuffy, but after seeing them for a couple days they lightened up and was friendly).  I again would definitely have my dances either at the ceremony or in the restaurant due to the heat after sun down.  I am surprised you are going thru all of that.  Someone had a 152 person wedding that Friday before mine, and it didn't seem like she had too many issues (but that's me looking from a distance).  Darn she was on this website also, but I forgot her name, she can help you more with the larger weddings because I only had 51 people.  This time of the year is their slow season, so not all restaurants are open everyday, but it seem like by April that wouldn't be the case. 

                   

                  But be careful in your "wording" when planning stuff with them.  When I initially told Chandlyn I wanted to do the private area of Dolce, she thought I was saying that I wanted to shut it down, which was not the case. So it may be just miscommunication.  Your 4pm time is ideal...by the time you finish photos, it will be right on time for dinner.  I only worked with Chandlyn until the rehearsal, which I wasn't too fond of.  I prefer Chandlyn. 

                   

                  Make sure you get ALL your items before you leave on after your wedding, if not you risk not getting them. 
                   

                   

                  Even though my guests loved their OTT bags, I wish I had also done a group excursion.  But our little "meet and greets" that I setup were perfect. 

                  Originally Posted by AngelaandTrevor 

                  Thanks Tekeya! You are very helpfull on here! If you had it to do over again what would you do differently? What would you suggest for a party of 80 plus? I'm getting married a 4pm in the gazebo! 

                   

                  Thanks for all your help! Angela



                   



                  #2489 Tekeya Thompson

                  Tekeya Thompson
                  • Site Supporter
                  • 196 posts

                    Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:22 PM


                    YES!  I have a friend that lives in Jamaica (Montego Bay) and warned us beforehand so I made sure to let our guests know.  I will ask but none of the guests mentioned anything about them being bad at gazebo..but the wind was blowing so hard, that could be why.  It's more when you are standing still in the grassy areas...like when we were waiting for all guests to be seated at Dolce, I know I was bitten several times just standing there. 

                    Originally Posted by monarch 

                    Hi Daffodil,

                     

                    Which month did you go to the resort?  Were the mosquitos bad down at the gazebo?  Tekeya- did you find the mosquitos to be bad?

                     

                     



                     



                    #2490 JayKay

                    JayKay
                    • Sr. Member
                    • 3,472 posts
                    • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
                    • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
                    • LocationSouthern Alberta

                    Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:08 PM

                    The free package only includes the bouquet for the bride abd bout for the groom.  Alot of brides order more flowers for their wedding, or don't like the flowers included in the wedding package so they pay for their own.  I guess it just depends what you want for flowers.  For me, flowers are not important at all and I can't imagine spending money on them.  To each their own!

                     

                    As to photographer we decided against the resort photographer because I have only heard bad things about them.  We have a pretty tight budget but did end up hiring a local Jamaican photographer as photos are important to us and we didnt trust the reviews from the resort photographer.

                     

                    Originally Posted by LJMedic 

                    Thanks ACW . . . I have asked for information from the hotel on their packages so just waiting for that. I have noticed alot of girls where talking about prices of flowers. Is that because the free boucette is not nice. As well with the free wedding package what cost have you come across that arent covered. I would love to hear how it goes with the photographer, were not sure if we can afford to hire a photographer but alot of the ladies have mentioned the resort photographer is not that great. Hope you getting excited anyways, thanks for your response;) 

                     



                     



                     






                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users