Any Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Brides out there?

Jenna,

Thank you so much for your review and sharing your pictures! You looked amazing and I am glad to hear that everything worked out perfectly.  Thank you for the tips on the taxi drivers, etc - do you know where you got your booze and how much you ended up spending?  Also, thanks for the tips about the spa - my mom has set up a hair appointment for herself and a make-up appointment for myself for the wedding day.  I have printed off the confirmation e-mails (thankfully, my mom forwarded all that information to me) and will take them with us.  I will also inquire about a make-up trial, because I do believe that is included!

I was just wondering - you stated that the resort wasn't your favorite.  May I ask why?

Congratulations on becoming a MRS!

Hey Jenna

Thanks so much for your review!  It is always great to hear from each bride how their day and overall experience went!!  Thanks for sharing.  

Your cake is beautiful. I was wondering about the ribbon on your cake.  Is it just regular ribbon? or is it special edible cake decorating ribbon?

Also great pictures!!  You look so beautiful and happy with your hubby :) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tram13 View Post

Oh!!  I am sooo happy to hear this!!!  You must feel so relieved!  Fingers crossed that I feel the same way about my dress when I'm reunited with it in Jamaica!

I've made lists as I bought things along the way so that I don't forget them.  I still have some things that need to be done, like printing programs, etc.  But, I will make sure to have it all done before we leave on the 3rd.  I would definitely love to spy on your wedding. :-) what time is it at?  My guests are leaving that day, but the FI and I are staying a few days later until the 13th.

You can definitely spy on my wedding, too if you like and are there.  My wedding is on Friday, December 06, 2013 at 2:30 pm. :-)

I don't arrive til late in the evening of Dec 7.  I hope that your wedding is everything you want it to be!!  Mine is the 10th at noon.

I still have odds and ends to do as well such as doing a schedule of events but I did finish up our vows this past weekend.  I never even asked if I could write my own so I hope it's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnBrideJoanne View Post

I don't arrive til late in the evening of Dec 7.  I hope that your wedding is everything you want it to be!!  Mine is the 10th at noon.

I still have odds and ends to do as well such as doing a schedule of events but I did finish up our vows this past weekend.  I never even asked if I could write my own so I hope it's ok.

You can totally write your own!  I asked Vinnette about this, as we both didn't really care for the ceremony script. So we wrote our own as well, and Vinnette just asked me to send them to her so that she can forward them onto the Minister for his review.  Hope that helps! :-)

Jenna -

Thank you so much for writing a review!  Your pics are simply beautiful and your dress was amazing.

Did the resort willingly let you mix and match the menu items at the Dolce Vita?  Or did you have to pay extra to do that?  Also, are the dinners at 6:00 or did you have the option of having it start at 6:30?

And last question.... how much did you have to pay for the bouquet upgrade?

Congratulations!!

Quote:

You can totally write your own!  I asked Vinnette about this, as we both didn't really care for the ceremony script. So we wrote our own as well, and Vinnette just asked me to send them to her so that she can forward them onto the Minister for his review.  Hope that helps! :-)

That helps! Thanks!

Quote:

Jenna,

Thank you so much for your review and sharing your pictures! You looked amazing and I am glad to hear that everything worked out perfectly.  Thank you for the tips on the taxi drivers, etc - do you know where you got your booze and how much you ended up spending?  Also, thanks for the tips about the spa - my mom has set up a hair appointment for herself and a make-up appointment for myself for the wedding day.  I have printed off the confirmation e-mails (thankfully, my mom forwarded all that information to me) and will take them with us.  I will also inquire about a make-up trial, because I do believe that is included!

I was just wondering - you stated that the resort wasn't your favorite.  May I ask why?

Congratulations on becoming a MRS!

Thank you!

I do not know the exact name of the market we went to, but I can tell you that from the front entrance of the Gran Bahia you turn left.  Travel a couple of minutes down the road and when you hit the first stop light, the market will be right on the right... look for a bunch of taxis.  Should be a 2-5 minute taxi ride.  We bought five 750mL bottles at around $15+/- each: 2 Sky vodkas, 1 whiskey (some brand we have never heard of, but it was the only whiskey they had), and 2 rums (called Overproof and unless if you like STRONG alcohol, I would not recommend this because we thought it was nasty and none of our guests touched it LOL).  Total I want to say was like $70ish. Still cheaper than the open bar price! We actually could have just skipped buying alcohol with the rum punch and champagne Vinnette provided us.  As for the taxi, Vinnette said the ride shouldn't be more than a couple bucks.  When we hailed our taxi, we immediately asked the driver how much for the round trip and he said $10; we bartered with him a bit and were able to get him down (his response was whatever works mon haha).  We still ended up giving our taxi driver like $8 because he stayed with us at the market and even came in with us to help with the alcohol and to make sure we didn't get ripped off.

Yeah definitely take those confirmation emails with you for the spa!

As for the resort not being our favorite... there were actually quite a few things that were quite a bummer, but I will just name a few that bugged us the most...

1) We couldn't get any reservations at any of the specialty restaurants.  We were there from a Sunday to a Sunday (a whole week).  We went to book the reservations the day after we arrived and there was no availability in any of the restaurants.  The only restaurant we were able to get booked in was the Grill at 9:30PM! And the food there ended up being all cold!

2) We have been to a lot of all-inclusives and the service at this resort was by far the worst.  Most of the servers and bartenders had bad attitudes and were grumpy and some were just flat out mean.  If you wanted any drinks in the restaurants you had to actually approach the servers and ask for them or go get them yourself.

3) The food was not great, not much variety... pretty much the same thing everyday with maybe a couple things different.  Oh and the late night burger spot was NASTY.  And I swear, I am the least picky eater on the planet, no joke I usually like everything! Wedding dinner was fantastic though... probably the only meal we really enjoyed there.

4) The beach is not the nicest... if you are a beach person and have been to a lot of amazing beaches, I think you will be disappointed... we were.

*But seriously, we chose this resort for the wedding specifically and we were so soooo happy we did.  So I would recommend it for everyone looking for an awesome wedding, but for someone just looking for a vacation spot, I would say keep looking.

Hope this helps!

Jenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobeawalsh View Post

Hey Jenna

Thanks so much for your review!  It is always great to hear from each bride how their day and overall experience went!!  Thanks for sharing.

Your cake is beautiful. I was wondering about the ribbon on your cake.  Is it just regular ribbon? or is it special edible cake decorating ribbon?

Also great pictures!!  You look so beautiful and happy with your hubby :)

Yes, just regular ribbon from hobby lobby! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnBrideJoanne View Post

Jenna -

Thank you so much for writing a review!  Your pics are simply beautiful and your dress was amazing.

Did the resort willingly let you mix and match the menu items at the Dolce Vita?  Or did you have to pay extra to do that?  Also, are the dinners at 6:00 or did you have the option of having it start at 6:30?

And last question.... how much did you have to pay for the bouquet upgrade?

Congratulations!!

Thanks!! :D

Vinnette only gave us three menu options for the Dolce Vita and we were able to mix and match those three menus, and mixing was free of charge.  Not sure if 6:30 is an option; she didn't give us a choice... she just said dinner is at 6:00.

For the bouquet and boutonniere upgrade it was $85.  Be forewarned... initially they tried to charge me a delivery fee of like $10 because it wasn't the included bouquet and boutonniere... I argued it and they waived it.  So watch for that.

Jenna

Oh I also forgot to mention, completely not related to the wedding, but a tip regarding the resort.  The main breakfast buffet at the Gran Bahia is always packed and runs out of food... if you want a little more intimate, less crazy, and better food quality go to the Palmyra Buffet.  I don't think many people know about this place because it was never busy and the food was always fresh and fully stocked.... to get there just go to the main buffet and walk left and walk some more and you will hit it. :D