Calgary Brides!

KRama

Great news Pam!!!  Thanks for the update!!

Originally Posted by pamphilia View Post

I picked up my dress today from Connie and it is GREAT!  You would never know that the dress didn't start with a corset back - Connie did a great job.  I will be sure to post a picture when I can!

Wow Ashely, $330 for almost the same as what I had done?  I guess I got a really good deal!

lsmith - despite my unusual material, it was matched PERFECTLY (same material even!) for the modesty panel and even the ribbon portion.  I am sure she will match yours just fine.

Weird! This thread was originally under "BDW Get-togethers" but now it's under "Random Thoughts" in the Chit Chat Corner. I guess we're more chit-chatty than get together?

Originally Posted by Lindslou View Post

Does anyone know why this thread has been moved?

haha!  Maybe thats why :)

Originally Posted by KRama View Post

Weird! This thread was originally under "BDW Get-togethers" but now it's under "Random Thoughts" in the Chit Chat Corner. I guess we're more chit-chatty than get together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindslou View Post

Does anyone know why this thread has been moved?

Well, since we're now considered a 'chit chat' thread, here goes!

I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now with the whole father giving the bride away. My parents have been divorced since I was 2, and I was raised primary by my mom. I did see my dad fairly often growing up, and I still speak with him regularly (he lives in the States), but I'm nowhere near as close to him as I am with my mom. My mom re-married 10 yrs ago, and I'm quite close with my step-father. So I was struggling with who would walk me down the aisle - I can't very well have all 3 parents! So I decided on my mom, she's who I really want there at my side because I feel like she's the only one who can 'give me away'. So tonight I told my dad that I wanted her to play a bigger role in the wedding than moms traditionally do, and have her walk me down the aisle. But that I'd still have the father-daughter dance and all that. I think I really hurt his feelings, and he said he'd need to think about it, as though...I'd asked for his permission. Now I'm wondering how hurt he is, did I ruin some lifelong dream of his - and also, does he think he can say yes or no to whether this happens? I haven't told my mom yet, but I'm dying to.

How do you think I should handle this with my dad? Should I bring it up again, or let him bring it up when he's ready (if ever)? Should I go ahead and speak with my mom about all this?

I know this is a personal decision and situation, but I just feel like you ladies might understand  :)

My situation isn't quite the same as yours, but I understand your problem.  I'm not close to my dad either (though he is still married to my mom) and I nixed the father-daughter dance (which offended him a bit too) and am having both my parents walk with me. 

I agree that you can't really have 3 people walk you down the aisle, so just a personal opinion but I think you made the right choice.  If your dad is the traditional type where he thinks its the father's role to walk his daughter down the aisle, then I think you should talk to him sooner and explain that you want to do things a bit untraditionally just because of your mom's importance to you.  If he's not traditional, then give him a little bit of time to see if he brings it up again... and if not, then you should.  Either way, it is your decision, so I dont think you need permission to do what feels right for you. 

Originally Posted by Canadiansandy View Post

Well, since we're now considered a 'chit chat' thread, here goes!

I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now with the whole father giving the bride away. My parents have been divorced since I was 2, and I was raised primary by my mom. I did see my dad fairly often growing up, and I still speak with him regularly (he lives in the States), but I'm nowhere near as close to him as I am with my mom. My mom re-married 10 yrs ago, and I'm quite close with my step-father. So I was struggling with who would walk me down the aisle - I can't very well have all 3 parents! So I decided on my mom, she's who I really want there at my side because I feel like she's the only one who can 'give me away'. So tonight I told my dad that I wanted her to play a bigger role in the wedding than moms traditionally do, and have her walk me down the aisle. But that I'd still have the father-daughter dance and all that. I think I really hurt his feelings, and he said he'd need to think about it, as though...I'd asked for his permission. Now I'm wondering how hurt he is, did I ruin some lifelong dream of his - and also, does he think he can say yes or no to whether this happens? I haven't told my mom yet, but I'm dying to.

How do you think I should handle this with my dad? Should I bring it up again, or let him bring it up when he's ready (if ever)? Should I go ahead and speak with my mom about all this?

I know this is a personal decision and situation, but I just feel like you ladies might understand  :)

My girlfriend had a similar issue with her Mom, where her mom wanted to walk her down the aisle along with her dad. She couldn't say no, so she had both walk her down, but really she just wanted here dad. She never spoke up about it, though. I think it's amazing that you've already broached the subject, and regardless of what anyone (including your dad) thinks, it's your big day! My dad just asked if we were planning on having Greek music at the wedding in Cabo, and I was like, uhhhhmmm, No! That's the point of having the big, Greek engagement party in Toronto (to make sure everyone on my side feels included) and the big, Ukrainian AHR in Edmonton. The wedding is for us, and we'll play the music we like to listen to. My sister b**ched afterwards that i should be more accomodating, but I told her just because she compromised everything she wanted for her own wedding (which she did, and agrees) doesn't mean I should, too. My dad was fine with our decision!

Off topic, has anyone done bootcamp? I'm looking at Survivor Bootcamp (Spring session, maybe April/May) and am wondering if anyone else has put themselves through the torture, and if they had great results? I have a ways to go to look the way I want to before 10 days on a beach (plus a two week honeymoon in SoCal!).

I did 3 sessions back to back of bikini boot camp - not crazy in your face as some of the other ones, but I still saw some results. For me it was being outdoors and moving and then also because I was exercising more I felt bad about eating junk - so combined efforts resulted in some weight loss. Have fun!

Hey Ladies - Happy New Years!

Good news - I have 20 guests booked so far and I hit my group requirement!!!!!  I am sooo excited!

On another note, our weddings are coming so closer - mine is 3 months out today and I know a couple of you are getting married next month!!!! Is anyone having massive stress?  I AM :(

I don't even know why as I am pretty much on the ball with everything.  How are you ladies all doing?  I do need to create a wedding website and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions of which site to use?  Also, I need to go see Connie to do all my dress fittings.  I need them to be finalized by April 1st!  When should I contact her to start the process?

Are we getting together soon - we need to see the FEB brides before they leave!

Natalie