Photo

Paying For Travel Arrangements??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 weddinggirl72

weddinggirl72
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

I just read in Destination Weddings magazine that its good etiquette to pay for the travel arrangements for people in your wedding party. IS THIS TRUE We weren't planning on doing this. Thoughts
    So far 68 RSVP's and 56 people are booked to stay at the resort!

#2 Sheree10

Sheree10
    • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

I've read that also but we don't plan to pay for anyone's travel arrangements. In the beginning I spoke to FI about it and he said everyone should pay for themselves. We've given them over a years notice. Plus we're only having one BM and a MOH- we didn't want to put the pressure on anyone else.
      http://tickers.Ticke....03cf/event.png

BRIDE + GROOM + 60 GUESTS!!

#3 ML YoungLove

ML YoungLove
      • 531 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

We are paying for hair, and wedding wear for everyone in our wedding party, plus the $200.00 deposit at the travel agents. I think that is more than enough, but it really depends on what you can afford.
        Mrs. Young

#4 *Linds*

*Linds*
        • 5,776 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

I wish we could pay, but we are not. Like the above post, we are giving everyone more than a year's notice and some people aren't going to be able to come due to finances, but we knew that was a possibility and have come to terms with that.
          Loving married life! <3

#5 weddinggirl72

weddinggirl72
          • 139 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:03 PM

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I was shocked to read that, especially in this economy! We are only having a maid of honor and a best man but to have to pay for flights (both are married) and hotel would be a little crazy.
            So far 68 RSVP's and 56 people are booked to stay at the resort!

#6 IrishgirlinNY

IrishgirlinNY
            • 938 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

We aren't paying for anyone but ourselves. I went to a destination wedding two years ago and we all paid for ourselves as guests. As with everyone else, we have given everyone a year and half to save, just like we have to.

#7 SSNM

SSNM
              • 675 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:31 PM

I read that as well in a few places that the bridegroom should pay for the guest's accomodation/transportation. I think that unless you have a huge budget or you are going VERY simple with the actual wedding (i.e. free wedding with no add-ons and using the buffet/a la carte restaraunt as the reception) that would be near impossible to do. It would also shrink my guest list to a handful of people at best. No, it is their vacation as well as your wedding so you certainly don't have to pay for their trip; just host your wedding.

#8 jenninjamaica

jenninjamaica
                • 547 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

We aren't paying for anyone's trip but our own. Most of our guests are thrilled about having a vacation and have no problem paying for their own trip, and everyone upgraded to the Oceanview Rooms! We did pay for deposits for 2 of our wedding party who were in the process of moving when the deposits were due. But that's all.
                  *~*JENN*~*

#9 amandalsu

amandalsu
                  • 122 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

We are paying for the flights for the BM, MOH,(only attendants) and friend that will officiate but not their lodging. We are not paying for their spouses either. I read where you should pay for their lodging but not their transportation but I have a lot of airline miles so we took on the airfare which has been really high recently. What I read was talking about local weddings and paying for those attendants that have to travel to your wedding. There was a little blurb in there about it applying to destination weddings as well.

We also are paying for the flight for his mom and sister that can't afford the trip but he really wanted there. Some of his other brothers and sisters (he has a lot) are going to help pay for their lodging and expenses while down there. Even paying with miles the taxes and fees added up pretty fast. There is no way we would have been able to do it without all my miles.

#10 bholthof

bholthof
                    • Banned
                    • 323 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

A lot of wedding etiquette is simply not practical or doable for anyone who isn't high society, loaded with cash, or not willing to go into massive debt for thier wedding.

We're not paying for our attendants to go - but we'll do little extra things for them while away.
                      21 people + Bride & Groom booked!!

http://tickers.Ticke....8e20/event.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users