To travel agent or not to travel agent?

chirorach

I had decided to go with a TA because it would be less headaches for me when dealing with guests, but having a TA would allow my guests to all go to one person and book.  Prior to using the TA I ended up booking with (TA Wendy from BDW), I had tried two other local TAs and I had a very terrible experience with both. 

I was able to explain the whole situation to TA Wendy and she recommended what was best for our situation.  We didn't think we'd have enough people to do a block, and we didn't want to pay up front if we weren't going to have enough guests.  Also, our guests are going at different times, so that wouldn't really work for a block either. 

I would recommend anyone to go through a TA just because it's less work on the bride & groom who have enough to take care of anyway.  We do not have to pay Wendy anything, she gets her cut from the tour operator she uses to book us with the resort (or that is my understanding...either way I know we do not pay anything directly to her).  TA Wendy has been great and very informative on the Riviera Maya, Mexico area. 

TA Wendy is on the west coast and I'm up in the northeast of the US, and I don't see a problem with the distance.  Her knowledge and recommendations have help me with planning, so I couldn't ask for anything more!  I hope this help anyone trying to decide on using a TA or not!

I've always been a DIY traveler never saw a need to use a TA, until my last vacation. Which also happened to be our site visit for our wedding. Orginally we had a trip planned to the Dominican Republic but then decided we wanted to get married in Costa Rica. So as a surprise I wanted to change my arrangement to go to Costa Rica. I started doing this on my own but it became a HUGE mess!!!! Thank goodness I had already been in contact with a TA to handle the wedding stuff. ( For selfish reasons I didn't want to coordinate everyones travel). She was able to fix everything I had made a mess of. A TA is great in case unforeseen issues arise.

I couldn't agree more with this!  Depending on what different things you do (the details of personalizing the wedding for you), you have enough work!  The only thing I  have asked the TA to tell me is the people who have booked and their dates of travel so I can keep track of that. 

Originally Posted by rbowman View Post

It isn't selfish to want to use a TA I think it is just using your time wisely.  You don't have enough time to arrange everyone's travel arrangements.

• 4 weeks later...

Well thank you for the nice words! Of course I am biased, but I think that using a travel agent is really a win/ win for brides... you do not have the pressure of keeping track of the bookings, we can usually get better rates especially with the resorts, and I think it is a great thing to have one "go-to person" for your guests who can answer all their questions consistently. We often also know and have good contacts with the resorts we book, and if you are having any trouble with communication with the on site staff we are often able to get you attention and answers when you need them.

As for me, I have cultivated contacts at many of the resorts in Cancun / PDC and I know my brides and grooms will get especially good treatment!

TA Wendy

• 3 weeks later...

Originally Posted by TA Wendy View Post

Well thank you for the nice words! Of course I am biased, but I think that using a travel agent is really a win/ win for brides... you do not have the pressure of keeping track of the bookings, we can usually get better rates especially with the resorts, and I think it is a great thing to have one "go-to person" for your guests who can answer all their questions consistently. We often also know and have good contacts with the resorts we book, and if you are having any trouble with communication with the on site staff we are often able to get you attention and answers when you need them.

As for me, I have cultivated contacts at many of the resorts in Cancun / PDC and I know my brides and grooms will get especially good treatment!

TA Wendy

We REALLY want to use a travel agent to keep things simple and consistent and have one point of contact for all our guests, however, we are consistently getting quotes a few hundred dollars HIGHER through the TA. Should I try another TA? Right now we're just leaning towards booking through WestJet ourselves.

• 1 month later...

From my experience, my TA has been amazing.  They found us a really good rate, and answer all my bazillion questions.  They made us a website, will arrange for a limo to pick us up to take us to the airport when we leave for our wedding, take us out for coffee whenever we meet.

Additionally they have been in contact with the resort thus far for us, and forwarded us all information from the wedding coordinator.  I've heard horror stories about never hearing from the wedding coordinators, but I've never tried to contact them, and I've probably gotten about 5 emails from them through the TA's.

I'm sure there are bad TA's (I had a terrible real estate agent once and it took until a friend made a great recommendation until I trusted them again!) So do that, ask people around for reviews, meet them, don't sign and contracts, and if they seem terrible, don't feel obligated to book!

Hi Wendy! Maybe we can talk. I was previously working with a travel agent and feel as if maybe contacting a new travel agent would be our better bet we don't feel comfortable with the one we were workin with. We were going to trash the TA idea all together. Maybe you could give us a second opinion! Thanks!