To travel agent or not to travel agent?

chirorach

And.. now that we have debunked some myths, here is why you SHOULD use a travel agent!

Reasons to use a Travel Agent
CUSTOMER ADVOCACY: If you have a problem with a particular part of your travel experience, the agent is there to act on your behalf to see that restitution is made.
EXPERT GUIDANCE: Travel agents are experts in understanding and deciphering the myriad of travel information and codes out there. Itâ€s what theyâ€ve been trained to do and they do it every day.
PERSONALIZED SERVICE: Instead of an impersonal voice thousand of miles away, travel agents are your neighbors. They know what you want and what you value in your travel experience.
PROFESSIONAL ADVICE: Travel agents are there to make sure you get where you want to go, when you want to go and for the lowest price.
TIME: Instead of checking a long list of travel Web pages, which only provide rates and fares for the companies that have contracted with them, why not go straight to the source? A travel agent has all the information at their fingertips, saving you a few hours in front of the computer screen.
UNBIASED INFORMATION: Agents work for their clients, not for a travel supplier. It makes sense that a happy customer will be a repeat customer.
Article from travelsense.org and ASTA

TA Wendy

Hello Ladies,

Petal Keine here,

You are so welcome for the list, I do agree though make sure you do pick a great agent that works for you!!

Someone who is not infulenced by commissions or incentives, or books a wedding date only and leaves the rest to you!

It is your wedding after all and is way too important to leave things until last minute.( 3 days before you arrive)

Your wedding needs organizing and time to perfect.

I love weddings and thats all I do, I have booked many worldwide :)

Tammy is right I am based in Canada (Vancouver) I do work for a travel agency, but I only do destination weddings.

Petal Keine  cheers.gif

• 3 months later...

Just to add to the already many reasons listed, I am so glad that I went through a TA...  I got an email late last Friday night that Caribbean Air changed their whole flight schedule from Philly to Jamaica.  All of my guests and myself were left with invalid flights.  Needless to say it was a bit stressful.  My agent spent all day Monday calling and touching base with all of my guests and got all of them re-booked.  I did reach out to one couple that I knew did not book through my TA and she had no idea about the flight changes.  She got herself all straightened out, but I was so glad that I did not have to reach out to everyone and make sure they were all taken care of.  My TA did it all for me!!!

I think that using a travel agent is a great idea, but we have been booking our flights and resort separately for the last couple of trips instead of going with a tour operator and have found this to be a way better way to travel. It's cheaper and the resort will do upgrades when you book directly. We have also enjoyed pre-booking a cab to have it waiting for us at the airport to go directly to the resort so no waiting around, or driving to several different resorts. Our travel agent always helps us out!

• 1 month later...

I am using a travel agent and honestly, she is the BEST! Takes all the headache away from me and she even deals with the resort for me when I am frustrated or unhappy about something they tell me - currently I am going around in circles with the WC at my resort that my TA has had to step in. She's been in talks with the big guns and I am so happy she is there with me to back me up. I wouldn't be able to have done that without her. AND I have guests coming from pretty much all over the world. She has been able to accomodate and answer their questions and mine with no problem. She is always looking out for the bride. Honestly, such a weight has been lifted off me because of her!

• 3 weeks later...

Iâ€m a huge supporter of using a TA. For starters my mom has been in the industry for 30 + years and she knows her stuff. So naturally it was an easy decision for us.

I understand when people want to book a last minute flight they might go direct to the supplier for a better rate. But, when it comes to booking your wedding, who will you turn to when you have questions? The suppliers donâ€t return your calls quickly, the WCâ€s are busy and will only be able to help you with the actual wedding. Your TA will coordinate everything else and will be there for even those silly little questions you might have leading up to your day!

Do your research and work on recommendations. If you need one, Iâ€m happy to provide you the details for an excellent one in Canada! ;)