Pictures before the Ceremony????

I wanted to do pictures before the ceremony but FH said no way. Sometimes he gets all old fashioned on me and he said it would be bad luck. I pointed out that technically we'd be married already cuz we are doing the legal thing here first but he still said nope. I was worried we wouldn't have enough time with the photographer after and didn't want to spend our whole cocktail hour doing pictures. Looks like it will work out ok though and I might even just add another hour onto our photography package just in case. I think as long as you both are in agreement pictures before the ceremony are definitely ok.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still up in the air about this one but I do want it to be special either way. I think getting all the group shots without the need for the B&G to be together is a great idea so you spend less time after the wedding. Besides a TTD session the day after can make up for any B&G shots you may miss. We're thinking of having our wedding at 3:00 p.m. and having a longer cocktail hour. Hopefully this helps with the daylight and time factors.

We ended up doing a little of both. We had our "First Look" photos done before the wedding as well as our couple photos and some individual photos. We tried to get some of the family photos and group photos done but because we were running behind, we had to rush over to the church for the ceremony. We then had a few more group pictures and some unique photos taken together on a motorcycle during part of cocktail hour. It worked out well but if we had been on time, we would've gotten more time at cocktail hour to hang out with everyone. Regardless, we had such a blast!

We're doing it after. I thought about doing it before and if our ceremony was later in the day I might, but I really want to do the walk down the aisle without him seeing me first. Our wedding wont be very traditional in a lot of other ways so I'd like this one bit to be a little old fashioned. It'll mean missing the cocktail reception with our guests but we'll still have the rest of the reception, and I figure some down time with the photographer right after the ceremony will be nice. I think it's fine either way though- it's nice to be able to get right to celebrating and not make your guests wait for you.

• 1 month later...

This is something I've been struggling with (obsessing over if I'm honest) lately. As much as I'd love to get right to the party and join our guests at the cocktail hour, my wonderful FI doesn't want us to see each other until I walk down the aisle. So sweet but not very practical! (He tends to be the romantic one in our relationship.)

My best friend is a photographer and gave me what sounds like great advice. If you don't want to see each other before the ceremony, make a very detailed list of all the photo groupings you want to capture after the ceremony. Start with family as they tend to take a bit longer. Then, SEND THEM AWAY to the cocktail party. This leaves the bridal party. Send them away as they are no longer needed until you have just the two of you. If you have a very specific idea of what you want, pictures will go a lot faster.

Like everyone already said, it is all about personal preference. I'll probably change my mind 100 times before our actual wedding in April! :)

It's really up to you... do you feel strongly about only seeing your groom for the first time when you are walking down the isle? Either way, it will be very special. If you are having a cocktail hour, it may be good to do some photos before, so that you can enjoy the food and drinks as well! An alternative could be to shoot the photos with your mom and BM, MOH before the wedding, this way you still get some photos out of the way but keep the tradition intact!

Logistically, I'd love to have photos done before the ceremony. It's not until 4pm so it would be great to get photos done ahead of time and be able to go straight to our reception. But, like so many other girls have said, my absolute favourite part of weddings is that moment when the bride appears and she and the groom get their first look of each other...I bet I will be a crying mess, but I wouldn't pass it up!