19 replies to this topic

#11 bholthof

bholthof
  • Banned
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VaraderoBride
    I wonder if there will be more leniency if you have proof of immunization?
    I kind of doubt it - Even if you get a seasonal flu shot, you can still get the flu. I can't imagine why it would be any different for the H1N1. The flu mutates so quickly, that the vaccine is probably only protection against the original flu virus - who's to say that it will be 100% effective against a mutated strain?
    21 people + Bride & Groom booked!!

http://tickers.Ticke....8e20/event.png

#12 Melidell

Melidell
    • 1,091 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by bholthof
      I kind of doubt it - Even if you get a seasonal flu shot, you can still get the flu. I can't imagine why it would be any different for the H1N1. The flu mutates so quickly, that the vaccine is probably only protection against the original flu virus - who's to say that it will be 100% effective against a mutated strain?
      You can still get a flu with the seasonal shot because it only protects against a few strains- you can still catch another one that wasn't in the shot. I think H1N1 would have to mutate quite a bit for your immune system to not recognize the virus as the one that you're immune to- many people alive in the 50's are immune to H1N1 because there was a similar (though not the same) flu strain circulating back then. I could go on and on about immunity and vaccines, though, and I don't want to bore anyone so I wont . Regardless, though, I think you may be right about a certificate of vaccination not being worth too much, but I think I may get one when I get my shot anyway- just in case it may help.
      Loving married life!

#13 kat_mc13

kat_mc13
      • 67 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

Is there actually some kind of certificate you get though? Or would you ask for something to be specifically printed for you?

#14 bholthof

bholthof
        • Banned
        • 323 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

Probably not - but you know that yellow immunization record that you used to have to keep track of all your childhood shots? You can probably have them write it on there if you are concerned.

Personally, I don't plan on getting sick - or if I do, I plan on lying through my teeth about it when we go!!!
          21 people + Bride & Groom booked!!

http://tickers.Ticke....8e20/event.png

#15 itsfinallyhere

itsfinallyhere
          • 573 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by bholthof
            Personally, I don't plan on getting sick - or if I do, I plan on lying through my teeth about it when we go!!!
            This is me too. But the documentation will not help any because they are checking everyone anyway. I contacted my resort WC and she said this is the same thing they did last spring with the original break-out.

#16 RonNMel

RonNMel
            • 388 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

I'm a teacher so everyday it's possible I could be in contact with someone who has flu like symptoms... hope it's not considered as close enough contact...

#17 VaraderoBride

VaraderoBride
              • 19 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:40 AM

So essentially, if you have a low-grade fever 12hrs prior to departure... you'd better start taking some tylenol =P

#18 LindsayE

LindsayE
                • 204 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

I was just in Cuba. We had to fill out a simple questionaire and hand it to security. I didn't see anyone pulled aside or have to submit to additonal health checks. I would hope that this doesn't affect anyones wedding plans!!!

#19 itsfinallyhere

itsfinallyhere
                  • 573 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hi guys, we just got back. And yes they do have temperature machines, yes they are wearing masks. But they are also looking for other signs as well. If you are running a really high fever they may say something and ask a few more questions but other than that it is generally business as usual. We had no issues and one of our was sick, but they did not detain him or over question him. Good luck, and have fun. Try not to worry. Enjoy every minute because it is over to soon.

#20 RonNMel

RonNMel
                    • 388 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the info.

Can't wait to read your review itsfinallyhere!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users