Tips and Tricks...
Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:32 PM
1) Wedding photographer - In all honesty, if you have people going with you, a few people with a good camera is all you need. The photography did not impress me at all. The one photo we purchased a'la carte was overwxposed (we were on the beach and with the white dress, white sand and sun and Black faces it was not good). My mother took pictures with her and my digital camera and they were AMAZING. if you have someone with a steady hand, they really cant mess up. She just followed the photographer around and took all the photos they were taking, PLUS some. Here is a link to my photo album: Gala Copez-Reaves's Photos - My Jamaican Wedding | Facebook All of these were taken by my mother and guests. I didnt even include the photographer's photo in the lot.
2) Excursions - I went to the Concierge and requested a pricing for a cab driver to take us shopping in the downtown shopping area, back to the Resort for lunch, pick us back up and take us to Dunn's in the afternoon, then come back and bring us back to the resort. It was $17pp for the whole day. Much better than the $30 trip to the shopping area (basically an Outlet mall you could get in the states) and another $15 for transport to Dunn's - when the cruise ships would be there so it would have been crowded! We loved being downtown in the shopping district, but as everyone says, beware because people are PUSHY!!! Dont be afraid to walk away and say NO. Even if they start carving your name on something, if you didnt ask for it, they shouldnt have started it.
3) Tipping - I am a firm believer in tipping when appropriate, like when you actually have provided a servive- not before! When we first go to the airport, they driver actually stood in front of the doorway to the bus and said "you have to tip your driver to get on the bus!" Umm, No. I paid for this trip and I refused to be held hostage before we even go to the resort. He recieved a tip from me AFTER we go to our destination safely. I seemed to be the only one who walked AROUND the driver and got on the bus. Everyone else looked dumfounded and were searching through their bags for change. Dont get fooled. We tipped our cab driver who serviced us for the day and our bus driver back. The guides at DUNNS will literally follow you to the lockers to get their tips, so beware. That was not a nice feeling, especially because we were the last ones there since we went late in the day, after the Cruisers had left for the day. Also - the video that is $40 at the beginning of the trip, was $15 as we walked away. You can always get the price down - always.
4) The last day at Sandals you get your checkout instructions and you will get a 10% off coupon at the Giftshops. If you want to do any shopping, wait until then. There is also a day where you can dicker the prices.
5) You can always get your plates wrapped in saran wrap and take them back to your room if you get tired, or full, or just want to have your own "room service". We also figured out that since many of the portions are small, we sometimes ordered 3-4 entrees between us and split them. Perfect meal!
6) If you have family/friends with you for your wedding, you can rearrange the day of your Newlywed dinner so you can dine with your family. The coordinator will make reservations for your party most times for the night of your wedding. She even did it for the day they arrived as well. We only had 6 ppl total so if you have a bigger party it may be more difficult, but always ask. Everything is "no problem mon1" and they really want to make you happy.
7) GO TO THE PARTIES!! OMG the buffets were amazing! No "open a can of fruit" type of buffet, they really go all out and make you feel like you are getting your money's worth. I couldnt believe they did this sort of thing EVERY WEEK/3x;s, but the food was great. I mean, they cut down a bamboo tree and made cups for everyone! (See photos).
The Chukka Horseback RideNSwim was amazing! So much fun. Heres a link:
Gala Copez-Reaves's Photos - Horseback Ride-n-Swim | Facebook
I was sore for days after so if you arent used to that kind of activity, beware. But it was great!
9) There are also pics of my hair and makeup at the spa. They did a GREAT job and I am very particular. I showed her a hairstyle and she made it happen. The makeup was great too, because I have very oily skin and they knew how to put it on so it was not coming off 20 min later like everything always does. I loved how I looked, and I am very hard to please. Again, the coordinator was greeat at setting that appt up too. SInce it was 9/9/09 it was a busy day and they actually brought someone over from Dunns Resort so they could accomodate us all. They did my sister and mother;s make-up too and it was all fairly quick, and in perfect timeing to go back to the room and get dressed for the 3 o'clock ceremony.
10) If you want to take pics on the beach, just remember that there is no "private" area, so people will be milling around. We had to crop some people out of ours, but for the most part people were respectful and moved out the way. I didnt like some of the directions the photogorapher had us facing - you can see in some of my album. The photographer had us walking towards a Hair Braiding sign and other odd angles. But like I said, cropping does wonders and it added flavor I guess.
11) I cant think of anything else right now. If you have any questions or want to know anything else, please dont hesitate to ask. I was practically obsessed with knowing what to expect so I will gladly answer any questions you may have. I was very pleased overall. I had a ceremony at home for people who couldnt come to Jamaica, and I am so glad I got married there. No worries, just show up in the dress!
Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:29 PM
Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:12 PM
Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:17 PM
Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:21 PM
Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:09 AM
LOVE AND HUGS to you, new MRS., and CONGRATULATIONS on your 9/9/09 wedding in paradise!
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users