Photo

Tying on another woman's engagement ring?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Shommy128

Shommy128
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

Ladies,

I need some opinions on this please. A male co-worker just recently got engaged. He is friendly with a number of us women in the office and we all eat lunch together. Today, he had his FI engagement ring because he was taking it to get sized. Some of the women not only looked at it but tried it on! Isn't it bad luck to try on another woman's engagement ring? How would you feel if your FI let another woman try on your ring?

#2 *Lo*

*Lo*
    • 2,993 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

my best friend who is also engaged told me that it is taboo. but i had never heard of this until about 3 months ago.

#3 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:14 PM

When my friends are eyeing my ring, I just pass it to them to put on. I did the same with a friend's ring before I was engaged. Not sure why, but it was fun. We all passed it around & put it on. I also don't believe in good or bad luck.

#4 JulieG

JulieG
        • VIP Member
        • 8,323 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

I honestly would be bothered by that. Not that its bad luck, but that is my ring, no one should be trying that on unless I tell them its okay. Now people have tried my ring on, but that is because I let them. I hope his FI doesn't find out about that, cause I can see that bothering her for sure. Not because of bad luck, but because its her ring.

#5 nicitica

nicitica
          • 186 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

I am pretty of of the girls in my FI's office tried mine on. She is a friend of ours, so I don't care. And I offer it to all of my friends to try on, because i had been trying on everyone's for years!! And it was never bad luck for them or for me. At the end of the day, if the relationship is strong the wedding will happen and the marriage will last right? Some are superstitious and I am not that way at all. My friends LOVE trying on my ring and they fight over it.
            Akumal, Mexico 05.29.10

#6 vlynnw

vlynnw
            • 6,003 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

I've let a lot of people try my ring on. However, if people were putting it on before I did that would bother me. It should only go on my hand the first time not on someone else.
              Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#7 SusieQ

SusieQ
              • 1,603 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

Me either... I remember my old boss male "total tackless idiot" pulled my ring off my finger and held it up to the light saying "this is a friggin rock".... yup my boss!!! No longer... Hated him
                However my gfriends pull it off me time to time, "gently" and put it on... they love it... doesn't bother me at all... Boss issue was weird, that was uncomfortable... again ex boss...lol

#8 Jess

Jess
                • 4,455 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

I never got the superstition...I think it is fine to let people try on your e-ring and vice versa

#9 JenniferSS

JenniferSS

Banned

• Banned
                  • 1,047 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:38 PM

I guess I never even thought of it and had assumed that people had tried it on in the store before it was even purchased for me. I guess for me it wasn't "really" mine till he proposed and placed it on my finger, THEN it was mine !

#10 Ms325i

Ms325i
                    • 204 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

I tried on my Aunt's engagement ring a few years ago when she took it off for me to try on she asked me to put it back on her finger because she said it was bad luck for her to put it back on herself after I had tried it on??!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users