Hypothyroidism

Martha

I have never heard of that book, Jamie. I will have to look into it.

I am not taking synthroid. The levoxyl wasn't working well for me, so I switched I think in August.

I have to keep taking the synthroid and metformin (for insulin resistance) because it can mess up my body if I stop. I believe that either of these medications or the combo of both aided in getting pregnant.

I felt much better after I started taking synthroid!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeLynne View Post
I'm nervous because the area around my thyroid is enlarged. If you touch that area it feels like there are two lumps on either side of my esophagus. Hypothyroidism can cause goiters. My grandma's friend had to have one removed as well.

When I went to my school's gyno the other week (they like to rope you down for a full physical there since you have to go every year to get BC prescription) she paused on my thyroid and had me swallow like 5 times. I thought it was a little odd but didn't really think anything more of it until I heard of this. She did order a full blood cell count test, which came back fine. I'm scared but maybe I should just break down and go see the Endocrinologist.... ughhhhh doctors sad.gif

Tami, did you experience any symptoms or just the growth?
I didn't think I had any symptoms, but it turns out the big-ass goiter was what was causing me to be hoarse and sound raspy so often. The lump in my throat was visible, but I presume since it had been there for so long (years and growing, it seems) that I just thought it was normal.

I actually went to see a doctor when viewers (I worked in TV at the time) who happened to work in the medical field started to write letters, email and call to say they thought I had a suspicious growth in my neck that I needed to get checked out.

If it's been reason for pause with either you or the school doctor ... I would have someone else check it out, even if your TSH test results are fine ... just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
I'm nervous because the area around my thyroid is enlarged. If you touch that area it feels like there are two lumps on either side of my esophagus. Hypothyroidism can cause goiters. My grandma's friend had to have one removed as well.

When I went to my school's gyno the other week (they like to rope you down for a full physical there since you have to go every year to get BC prescription) she paused on my thyroid and had me swallow like 5 times. I thought it was a little odd but didn't really think anything more of it until I heard of this. She did order a full blood cell count test, which came back fine. I'm scared but maybe I should just break down and go see the Endocrinologist.... ughhhhh doctors sad.gif

Tami, did you experience any symptoms or just the growth?
I didn't think I had any symptoms, but it turns out the big-ass goiter was what was causing me to be hoarse and sound raspy so often. The lump in my throat was visible, but I presume since it had been there for so long (years and growing, it seems) that I just thought it was normal.

I actually went to see a doctor when viewers (I worked in TV at the time) who happened to work in the medical field started to write letters, email and call to say they thought I had a suspicious growth in my neck that I needed to get checked out.

If it's been reason for pause with either you or the school doctor ... I would have someone else check it out, even if your TSH test results are fine ... just to be on the safe side.

Ive been battling thyroid disease for the last 2 years. I was orginally diagonised with hyperthyroid, and graves disease. Every year I walk in the Breast Cancer 3 Day, and I was out on a training walk. It was 13 miles, not that big of a walk to me. And during the walk I felt like I was having heart attack symptoms. It turned out my thyroid was working 6 times the normal level. So I had a radio active iodine treatment.

Basically I take a pill that has radioactive iodine in it, and it kills my thyroid through my bloodstream. So it completely burned out my thyroid. So now I am hypothyroid. My doctor put me on synthroid. Well its been almost two years and my levels jump around every month. My doctor can not get it regulated at all.

I was interested in armour, but she was completely against it. Instead she put me on a T3 medication along with synthroid. I started to feel a bit better but still not great. Well she took me off that and now Im only on synthroid. Im in the process of finding a new doctor. My doctor also makes pretty rude comments, and doesnt truly take what Im saying in consideration. She treats me based on bloodwork, while I prefer to use those labs, and how Im actually feeling. At one point, she said your always fatigued. Its probably your diet.

I would prefer a holistic doctor but most around me are really expensive, and have a long wait list.

Im fatigued, like I could honestly sleep 14-16 hours a day. Weight gain comes on very easy, and is very difficult to lose. Weakness, muscle fatigue, and the list goes on.

I feel so defeated by this. And question if I made the right decision with the iodine treatment at the time. It all happened so fast, that I didnt really research it as much as Id like.

Its very frustrating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxytv View Post

Wow, that is crazy! Thank goodness for your viewers watching out for you (no pun intended rofl.gif).

When I was little I saw a big lump in my Grandma's armpit when we (the family) were all lounging around their pool. Being a kid, I blurted out "what's that, Grandma?". I felt so embarrassed but it ended up being a tumor that she had not caught and they were able to remove it :)

Quote:
I think you're right. I had never heard of this before and thought I was just being a hypochondriac. But now it is causing me anxiety and I'd rather be put to ease than constantly wonder what it is. I did have a complete blood work done about 2 years ago at school, but everything came back normal. I did have a slightly low amount of something (a component to iron) which caused me to have restless leg syndrome but that because I didn't eat red mean, which I now do occasionally. This issue (with the severe fatigue and all) did start until about a year ago. I've read that it can come on slowly. Plus, if they only tested the TSH and not the FT3 & FT4 that could be why my thyroid test showed up normal. At least now I know what to make sure they test.

Thanks for the advice and I will keep y'all posted. This thread has been very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxytv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepperette View Post
Ive been battling thyroid disease for the last 2 years. I was orginally diagonised with hyperthyroid, and graves disease. Every year I walk in the Breast Cancer 3 Day, and I was out on a training walk. It was 13 miles, not that big of a walk to me. And during the walk I felt like I was having heart attack symptoms. It turned out my thyroid was working 6 times the normal level. So I had a radio active iodine treatment.

Basically I take a pill that has radioactive iodine in it, and it kills my thyroid through my bloodstream. So it completely burned out my thyroid. So now I am hypothyroid. My doctor put me on synthroid. Well its been almost two years and my levels jump around every month. My doctor can not get it regulated at all.

I was interested in armour, but she was completely against it. Instead she put me on a T3 medication along with synthroid. I started to feel a bit better but still not great. Well she took me off that and now Im only on synthroid. Im in the process of finding a new doctor. My doctor also makes pretty rude comments, and doesnt truly take what Im saying in consideration. She treats me based on bloodwork, while I prefer to use those labs, and how Im actually feeling. At one point, she said your always fatigued. Its probably your diet.

I would prefer a holistic doctor but most around me are really expensive, and have a long wait list.

Im fatigued, like I could honestly sleep 14-16 hours a day. Weight gain comes on very easy, and is very difficult to lose. Weakness, muscle fatigue, and the list goes on.

I feel so defeated by this. And question if I made the right decision with the iodine treatment at the time. It all happened so fast, that I didnt really research it as much as Id like.

Its very frustrating!
Oh no, I was *just* reading today that the Radioactive Iodine treatment can cause permanent Hypothyroidism sad.gif I'm so sorry to hear your struggles with this!!!

In the book I'm reading it says that symptoms of hypOthyroidism can be mistaken for hypERthyroidism. I found it interesting that the book and the medical articles online seem to disagree with this. But then again I find that many doctors are usually fairly stubborn in going strictly "by the book" (i.e. what they learned in college that has since been outdated). On the flip side some of the holistic docs freak me out some too because they are so far on the opposite side of the spectrum. I'm looking for something in between but have yet to find the right doc.

Your symptoms are almost identical to mine! I can sleep 10 hours at night and then after I come home from school (30 min drive each way + 2 hrs in class) I am completely exhausted. I also almost always get a slight (99-99.5 degree) temperature with this exhaustion. I also tend to gain weight easily, have the muscle fatigue and horrible pains in my joints and bones from my lower back down, sensitivity to cold... Like you said, the list goes on...

I definitely recommend the book "Hypothyroidism Type II" by Dr. Mark Starr. It really opened my eyes. I can't wait to read through the entire thing once my Dad finishes with it.

Again, I'm so sorry to hear you've been struggling with this for the past 2 years. I know what it feels like, and you're definitely not alone!

I was actually just diagnosed with this a few weeks ago! I was really tired...blah blah blah...but the main thing that got me moving was that I couldn't lose any weight. I was going to the gym, lifting for 30 minutes and cardio for 30 minutes and eating about 1600-1800 calores per day and NOTHING! So I asked my doctor to check my thyroid and I am hypo. Right now I am on the generic version of synthroid and in about 4 weeks have to go for my first check up to see how my levels are. I hate the thought of taking a pill for the rest of my life but at least I now have a reason to explain why I have been feeling the way I have been feeling!

Quote:
Oh no, I was *just* reading today that the Radioactive Iodine treatment can cause permanent Hypothyroidism sad.gif I'm so sorry to hear your struggles with this!!!

In the book I'm reading it says that symptoms of hypOthyroidism can be mistaken for hypERthyroidism. I found it interesting that the book and the medical articles online seem to disagree with this. But then again I find that many doctors are usually fairly stubborn in going strictly "by the book" (i.e. what they learned in college that has since been outdated). On the flip side some of the holistic docs freak me out some too because they are so far on the opposite side of the spectrum. I'm looking for something in between but have yet to find the right doc.

Your symptoms are almost identical to mine! I can sleep 10 hours at night and then after I come home from school (30 min drive each way + 2 hrs in class) I am completely exhausted. I also almost always get a slight (99-99.5 degree) temperature with this exhaustion. I also tend to gain weight easily, have the muscle fatigue and horrible pains in my joints and bones from my lower back down, sensitivity to cold... Like you said, the list goes on...

I definitely recommend the book "Hypothyroidism Type II" by Dr. Mark Starr. It really opened my eyes. I can't wait to read through the entire thing once my Dad finishes with it.

Again, I'm so sorry to hear you've been struggling with this for the past 2 years. I know what it feels like, and you're definitely not alone!

I can relate to what your say, completely! Im going to pick up that book. Ive started reading a book by a local doctor here.

Dr. David Brownstein, Overcoming Thyroid Disorders. I just picked this up so havent been able to get into the guts of the book. But so far it looks promising on some things I can try to help ease my current symptoms.

Its comforting to hear Im not the only one going through this!

Quote:
Just to clarify, Martha posted this over a year ago (before she was prego). I just revived it today.
Wow, sorry! What a rookie mistake! I saw the month and day, but failed to look at the year. Thanks for pointing this out!