ROR - Credit Carrs & Pre Auths

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marie

• 138 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

I know...what kinda of topic is this?

I tend to analyze everything to death! And I've been seeing a lot of our guests paying off their trip with cash- and I've heard them mention they dont have credit cards..(for whatever reason!) So of course, me, being the worrier that I am.......can't help but to wonder if that will create a problem during check in at the hotel.

I've worked in hotels for years, and with every stay-we would need the guests credit card (and prob hold 250 bucks for each nights stay as like a damage deposit) orrr we would require a cash deposit..............so Im wondering if any of you know how RIU does this......

I read one review where the bride said a few of her guests didnt have credit cards, but herself and her fiance covered their rooms.......letting the hotel take pre auths from their cards....thats not something we can do....as we have so many guests.

Anywho- any info you have at all would be helpful, super curious to know how the hotel takes care of this ....so I can prepare guests.... and Im curious for myself too......our credit card doesnt have a huge limit....and I may end up using that to pay for stuff down there......wondering if Ill have any money left on it once I give it to the hotel! lol

#2 lara&mike

• 97 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

If you have booked through a tour operator then cash is fine. The tour operator blocks off rooms and prepays for them. You are essentially paying them (eg Sunquest) for the room they have already prepaid for.
      The issue with credit cards usually occurs when you book through the hotel directly, or through an internet site where they pay locally in Jamaica, and not in Canada. I have never had to pay a deposit on a room, and i've stayed at a riu before. Some hotels require this if you are under 21 yrs and over spring break..but that's an exception.

They may also need a credit card if the want to charge anything to the room. Generally they can pay for a safe, or any tours in cash. Sometimes it's nice to have a credit card because they can chargeback anything they didnt get (ie. a tour that was cancelled if you're getting the runaround). However, less chance for any cc theft which is a bonus!

#3 isaidyes

• 269 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

Yup I think Lara&Mike is right. If you book through a tour operater than you'll be okay. I have found it's always a good idea to have a credit card when travelling though, as you have some form of safety insurance for the unexpected.

#4 sportsdog2

• 87 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

I believe there is also an additional fee of 4-5% for using a credit card while in Jamaica. I'm not sure if this fee is charged by the merchants or by the credit card companies. Just something to keep in mind and verify before using a credit card.

#5 msmoodyr

• 329 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

I have never paid any additional money upfront @ checkin ..@ Riu

#6 Scott-Pierre

• 456 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

We did not have to pay anything extra on check-in and neither did any of our guests. If you do use your credit card remember there is an international charge of 3% that the credit card charges as a transaction fee. I used my card several times while we were there and had no issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users