Picking a date is driving me NUTS-O!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
  • VIP Member
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:55 PM

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am really a ppl pleaser so this is a tough one for me!!!

Kate (Lala), are you paying a lot extra to do your wedding in Dec.??

Hopefully the decisions will get easier from here...

Btw, no one has answered my question: When should you have your date chosen?? Is there a general rule on this?

P.S. The wine at dinner did me good

~ Jaime & Martin ~
    "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#12 michelle08

michelle08
    • VIP Member
    • 2,702 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:09 AM

Jaime....I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer to this question...but I personally decided on a location that I wanted first, then decided on a date I would like and I thought would work for the most important people then I checked to see if available. It was, so we went with it. Then I had to change the date to a couple days sooner and it was still available. Then, I wanted to change hotels and my date wasn't available for that hotel...

So, I would say pick a couple dates within the main time frame you want (nov, dec, etc...) and pick a couple locations you want and then go with it and see what works and what is available.

Just know, that things do book quickly, so I would say at least decide a year a head of time. When I first picked my date it was a year ahead and now I wanted to change it at 11 mo prior to and that place was booked....

#13 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
      • VIP Member
      • 4,791 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for the tips Michelle - I will keep them in mind :)

~ Jaime & Martin ~
        "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#14 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
        • VIP Member
        • 4,791 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:17 AM

K, so this is what I've found in regards to Holidays in the U.S.:

USA Federal Holidays and Celebrations
          Work schedules may or may not be affected by these holidays.

* New Year's Day, January 1st.
          * Birthday of Martin Luther King, third Monday in January.
          * Inauguration Day, January 20th every four years, starting in 1937.
          * Washington's Birthday, third Monday in February since 1971; prior to that year, it was celebrated on the traditional date of February 22.
          * Inauguration Day, March 4th every four years, pre-1937.
          * Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May.
          * Memorial Day, last Monday in May since 1971; from 1868 to 1970 it was celebrated on May 30, and was called Decoration Day for part of that time.
          * Flag Day, June 14th.
          * United States of America's Independence Day, July 4.
          * Labor Day, first Monday in September.
          * Columbus Day, second Monday in October (federal holiday since 1971).
          * Election Day, Tuesday on or after November 2.
          * Veterans Day, November 11th (except from 1971 to 1977, inclusive, when it was celebrated on the fourth Monday in October; formerly known as Armistice).
          * Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November.
          * Christmas Day, December 25th. I have finally included this since it is a federal holiday, although it is not based on a secular holiday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those in bold are our top choices, Memorial Day being #1. That would be May 25th, 2009. Ooooh, I'm getting excited now! Keep your fingers crossed for me, I think May would be PERFECT!

~ Jaime & Martin ~
          "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

#15 michelle08

michelle08
          • VIP Member
          • 2,702 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:22 AM

Jaime...are you thinking May of 2008 or 2009?? Your profile says summer of 09. I am getting Married Memorial Day weekend of 2008!!! It was going to be memorial day but now it's the saturday. Just thought I would mention!!

#16 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
            • 11,659 posts
            • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:27 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by JaimeLynne
            K, so this is what I've found in regards to Holidays in the U.S.:

USA Federal Holidays and Celebrations
            Work schedules may or may not be affected by these holidays.

* New Year's Day, January 1st.
            * Birthday of Martin Luther King, third Monday in January.
            * Inauguration Day, January 20th every four years, starting in 1937.
            * Washington's Birthday, third Monday in February since 1971; prior to that year, it was celebrated on the traditional date of February 22.
            * Inauguration Day, March 4th every four years, pre-1937.
            * Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May.
            * Memorial Day, last Monday in May since 1971; from 1868 to 1970 it was celebrated on May 30, and was called Decoration Day for part of that time.
            * Flag Day, June 14th.
            * United States of America's Independence Day, July 4.
            * Labor Day, first Monday in September.
            * Columbus Day, second Monday in October (federal holiday since 1971).
            * Election Day, Tuesday on or after November 2.
            * Veterans Day, November 11th (except from 1971 to 1977, inclusive, when it was celebrated on the fourth Monday in October; formerly known as Armistice).
            * Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November.
            * Christmas Day, December 25th. I have finally included this since it is a federal holiday, although it is not based on a secular holiday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those in bold are our top choices, Memorial Day being #1. That would be May 25th, 2009. Ooooh, I'm getting excited now! Keep your fingers crossed for me, I think May would be PERFECT!
            i got married memorial weekend and it was a FANTASTIC time as the weather us super...

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
            Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
            Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
            Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
            sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
            Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#17 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
            • VIP Member
            • 4,791 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:39 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by michelle08
              Jaime...are you thinking May of 2008 or 2009?? Your profile says summer of 09. I am getting Married Memorial Day weekend of 2008!!! It was going to be memorial day but now it's the saturday. Just thought I would mention!!
              We're thinking '09 if it's earlier in the year, '08 if it's later (Nov, etc.). Does that make sense?

Quote:
              Originally Posted by host
              i got married memorial weekend and it was a FANTASTIC time as the weather us super...
              Sounds like I'm on the right track!

~ Jaime & Martin ~
              "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

#18 -Kate-

-Kate-
              • VIP Member
              • 7,676 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:03 AM

The rates are the high season rates in December - just because it's in that Oct - March window. I'm not paying extra for vendors or anything. Our per person room rate at Dreams for the room block was $180.

Brett wanted me to put this guy in here.

#19 michelle08

michelle08
                • VIP Member
                • 2,702 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:03 AM

Makes perfect sense!! :)

#20 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
                  • VIP Member
                  • 4,791 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by host
                    hey jaimelynne,

i was just thinking tonight...what about a long weekend like "veteran's day"? (nov. 11)..because then you get a 3 day weekend so they would only really need to take the kids out of school for 1 day.

and you have a great date 11/11
                    I just saw this post. Veteran's Day might be a good option as well!

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by LALA
                    The rates are the high season rates in December - just because it's in that Oct - March window. I'm not paying extra for vendors or anything. Our per person room rate at Dreams for the room block was $180.

Brett wanted me to put this guy in here.
                    Wow, $180/night? Oh wait, that's per person/per night not just per night right?? Which Dreams are you going with?

Btw, love the swordsman! lol

~ Jaime & Martin ~
                    "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users