H1N1 Vaccine??

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 sarafish81

• 353 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

I know! They were joking on the radio this morning about how to make a few extra bucks: charge people for you to stand in line and hold a spot for them.
    Kind of funny but also sad. I saw an elderly couple on the news last night that were waiting forever even out in Okotoks. The man had just finished chemo and was getting the vaccine on the recommendation of his doctor. I'm glad they opened up the Olympic Oval for elderly people, pregnant women and children. If they are high risk, they should not have to stand in line for 6 hours.

#42 Melidell

• 1,091 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

Hi all- just thought I'd let you know I got my shot yesterday and I still seem to be alive, lol. No after effects except a slightly sore arm where they poked me. I'm glad I've gotten it- it'll be one less thing to worry about catching this winter, anyway. Best of luck to all of you with whatever you decide to do.
      Loving married life!

#43 sarafish81

• 353 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

I got mine last night too. Just found out this morning that DH's good friend (the one who introduced us actually) passed away last night from H1N1. He is devastated and in shock. I wish I could give him a huge hug but he is at work and just called me to tell me.

#44 sjmacphe

• 291 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

Really sorry to hear that Sara, how old was your friend?

I want to get the vaccine ASAP, I would go today but I am currently sick so I think I'll wait till next week.

#45 sarafish81

• 353 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:52 PM

She was in her early 40's. A mom with 2 young boys. It is so devastating and unbelievable. She did have chron's (sp?) disease and I'm unsure if that was an underlying factor. I haven't heard back from DH since he called me in shock this morning.

#46 sjmacphe

• 291 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

Wow that is terrible - so sorry for you and all of her loved ones. Yes, anyone with chronic disease (ie autoimmune conditions such as Crohn's, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, asthma, COPD etc etc) is at increased risk of having serious consequences following H1N1 infection. That is really sad news - hope your DH is doing ok. *Hugs*

#47 sarafish81

• 353 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

Thank you so much - I just want him to come home so I can hug him forever!! This just hits too close to home and for me, I'm glad I waited in the cold for 3 hours last night to get vaccinated.

#48 jenninjamaica

• 547 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:09 PM

I am so glad to finally hear some respectful debate about this topic. I am still on the fence about what to do, but I believe it is a personal choice and there is no "right" choice at this time, there just isn't enough data. But I keep coming across so many people trying to convince me I HAVE to have it. So I just wanted to say thanks ladies for just being decent human beings! Good luck everyone, whatever your choice!!!

#49 Laura22610

• 468 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

This is a great discussion! I have never gotten the flu shot because I am a healthy person and I don't like putting unnecessary medications, vaccines in my body. This year, however, after much debate with myself :) I got the H1N1 vaccine. I am an RN and I work in a neonatal intensive care unit. I also have an 8 year old nephew who I spend a lot of time with. My sister (who is also an RN) works with somebody whose perfectly healthy 5 year old is in the hospital on a ventilator because of H1N1. So, she asked me (knowing that I don't believe in flu shots) if I would get the H1N1 vaccine because my nephew is on a waiting list for getting the vaccine and she is worried that he will be exposed. We were also getting a lot of pressure at work to get it, since we work with such small immunocompromised patients. I only got the vaccine because of my nephew and my work, not because I think that I needed to be protected against the swine flu. I am not getting the regular flu vaccine. Hopefully, I made a good decision :)

#50 SuzyQ76

• 484 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

sarafish81 - I'm soooo sorry to hear about your DH and your friend, it's sooooo scary.

I will be taking myself and my son today, I have many friends totally AGAINST all vaccines, and I know there are risks involved, but I can't stop thinking about the people and children who have already lost their lives. It's my absolute biggest fear, especially because I have asthma and my son had some heart issues when he was born! I don't want to risk anything!
                      There is just too much to loose, and I also get the seasonal flu shot yearly too...
                      Our Wedding Day, April 29, 2010
                      Grand Riviera Princess

My Grand Riviera/Sunset Princess Review:http://bestdestinati....7/#post1283438

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users