Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:32 PM
Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:19 PM
| Originally Posted by meldal101010 |
Such a hard decision. These shots are coming in November and I have a 3 year old & 20 month old. I also run a daycare, so i feel like I should get my kids & myself vaccinated. I think i'll take a trip to the Doctors and get his professional opinion
Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:51 PM
| Originally Posted by lara&mike |
I definitely understand where you are coming from. Deaths are scary, whether it's from the flu or from reactions to a vaccine. There are many cases of vaccine damage that go reported and unreported beyond this vaccine. The side effects that have been in studies are not even for the H1N1 that is being rolled out, it's based on the Flu vaccine that was already created. This is a link from the FDA of the pamplet insert of H1N1 vax (novartis) :
The problem with any flu shot is that it is changed each year to "estimate" the type of strain that will infect people that year. If the flu strain mutates in any way, or if a different type of flu (ie 2009 H1N1) is seen than the flu vaccine that you received, it will not protect you during the flu season. I am a nurse and have never had the flu shot due to the fact that I am allergic to chicken eggs (it is cultured in eggs). However, I use all other precautions like hand washing, masking when around patients with flu like symptoms, coughing into my arm instead of my hand and staying home if I don't feel well. Each year people die from the flu, regardless if it's the 2009 H1N1 (or, as I have been calling it..."R2D2" ). I am not saying that you shouldn't protect yourself or your children, I am just saying that I feel the media has completely blown this out of proportion with the 2009 H1N1. Here, in Canada, it won't be available to health care workers until December and there are already cases of flu like symptoms being reported in and around the hospital I work at. Needless to say, it may be too late for the vaccine this year. I lived through the SARS epidemic and THAT was way worse than the H1N1 has proved to be. Use your judgement and discretion before you decide. I think that you are making a good informed decision on the health of you and your family and that is the best way to be!
I am very anti-vaccine period but this thing I would not touch! I know my thoughts are probably not shared by anyone on this board as I have learned from the past. But I do believe this has been blown out of proportion. I already had the swine flu and my nephew and niece did too. I didn't die and they didn't either. It was pretty much like the regular flu. I do believe the media is blowing it up. And yes I agree big ol' pharma is getting alot of money from this. And personally I don't trust someone whose main goal is profit. I wouldn't vaccinate me or my child with any vaccine much less this one. And hearing Dr's and the makers of the previous vaccine who said they would not give it to their children or themselves. Uh hello!? If they aren't why would I?
Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:11 PM
Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:28 PM
That being said Married In Maui---I will def let you know what the doc says
Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:34 AM
Neither my husband or I are getting this vaccine or the standard flu vaccine. I think that there is a lot to be said about taking care of yourself and boosting your immune system naturally. Anytime I get a flu of any kind I can honestly say it is due to me not taking the best care of myself. When I've contracted something going around the office it's when I haven't been getting enough rest or eating properly. When I am on the ball illness comes and goes around the office but I don't get it.
There are people with weakened immune systems or who are just alarmed because this is so hyped up so I get the desire to take the vaccine and that is fine for someone else to decide, I would just rather take my natural chances and not subject myself to this vaccine.
May we all be healthy this cold and flu season
Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:30 AM
| Originally Posted by Married_In_Maui |
I have an appt with my son's pediatrician in 10 days upon completion of his antibiotics & I now plan to discuss the H1N1 vax with her. I would love to hear what your pediatrician says & compare it to what ours has to say, so if you would be willing to share, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm driving myself up a wall with this decision; I'm back & forth. Hopefully the doc can help make this difficult decision. THANKS!!
Upon her recommendation we gave her probiotics daily, and vitamin c in powder form in her bottle/cereal. This will naturally boost his immune system. If you know a naturopath or have the ability to purchase these products i highly recommend it, and to give at least 14 days minimum of loading before vaccinating. It will lessen any side effects that the vaccine may have. Get them specific for children and follow dosage on the bottle. We did not end up vaccinating but her recovery was swift. Just some recommendations to look into. I'm not a dr., but follow natural therapies and there is something to be said for boosting your natural immunity, as other members have said.
Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:26 AM
**Thanks for all your input**
Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:58 AM
FI gets a flu shot every year but he hasn't said anything about the SF shot so not sure what he plans to do. I think you should do whatever makes you most comfortable. I personally have always thought if your body can fight infections and sickness on its own then it makes your immune system stronger but that is based on nothing, just what I tell myself!
Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:58 AM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users