Sign in to follow this  
michelle08

Spanish Guitar or Trio Mariachi

I used the same guitarist as Janet because she gave him such a great review. When I contacted him it was $250 per hour with a two hour minimum. Here's his contact info.

DAVID FLORES

AVL SYSTEMS

AVL Systems

davidf@avlsystems.com.mx

He played during the ceremony and the cocktail hour on the beach. I was kind of freaking out once by budget went sky high, and thought I'd regret paying that much when I could have used an ipod, but it ended up being one of my "best buys." Although I didn't get to hear much, all my guests were thrilled by him and talked about how great he was. Our photographer recognized him and said "he only plays the best hotels" and he wasn't the hotel photographer :o)

I was a little nervous because there is no contract with him. Just e-mails. He showed up though and was great. I had requested a song he didn't know for my walk down the aisle, sent him the music and he played it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMc View Post
I used the same guitarist as Janet because she gave him such a great review. When I contacted him it was $250 per hour with a two hour minimum. Here's his contact info.

DAVID FLORES
AVL SYSTEMS
AVL Systems
davidf@avlsystems.com.mx

He played during the ceremony and the cocktail hour on the beach. I was kind of freaking out once by budget went sky high, and thought I'd regret paying that much when I could have used an ipod, but it ended up being one of my "best buys." Although I didn't get to hear much, all my guests were thrilled by him and talked about how great he was. Our photographer recognized him and said "he only plays the best hotels" and he wasn't the hotel photographer :o)

I was a little nervous because there is no contract with him. Just e-mails. He showed up though and was great. I had requested a song he didn't know for my walk down the aisle, sent him the music and he played it.
That is good to know about the 2 hr minimum. I don't know who maye was qoting me but she didn't mention a minimum time, but funny thing I just emailed her the other day to ask how much 2 hours would be because I thought it would be nice to have him for the ceremony and cocktail and then switch to the ipod for dinner and dancing....

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle08 View Post
Me again....

I'm trying to make some decisions...and I was wondering what you guys think is better from experience....the Spanish Guitar guy or the Trio Mariachi. I can't afford the whole mariachi and honestly I don't even know if the "trio" is a mariachi??

I just want to have them for the ceremony and maybe cocktail hour but I only want to pay for an hour...so who knows....I must sound like a total cheapskate
My FI and I are planning on going with the mariachis for our wedding for a couple reasons. 1: I like the festive, almost cheesy atmosphere they provide and I love mariachi music. 2: It is so traditionally mexican. 3: My sister did guitar trio at her wedding and I don't want to repeat. (Bad enough that we are twins and I'm also having a destination wedding in Riviera Maya, but I lived there for a semester in college and have emotional attachment to Mexico.)

Mariachi is pricier but I told my FI I would just pick up an overtime shift and that's that!

hi guys

its apples and oranges really. your trio could be a trio of mariachis or a trio of trad Mex music , and they are VERY different sounding. Then there is the guitarist...he could sound like Segovia (real classical music) or like this "new flamenco" sound which is not reallly flamenco but a very watery imitation which a lot of people seem to like ...ottmar leibert, or jesse cook for instance....you will have to hear a sample of how the trio or guitarist sounds in order to make a good judgement really . - good luck!

Re: David Flores

I booked him in August for our March 2008 wedding and followed up a few times since then.

I found out today from my wedding coordinator (Jenny at Baja Weddings - she rocks!) who contacted him to extend his playing time that he won't be able to do my wedding (or anything in March).

He had not contacted me (I booked him directly) and told Jenny that he didn't have an email or a way to contact me to cancel.

Glad I have Jenny and a plan B. She is looking for someone else to play.

Scary lack of professionalism. Too bad because I really liked the clips on his website.

Glad I have 2 months to find someone else. Can't imagine how it would have been the day of the wedding and he didnt' show.