Sign in to follow this  
IrishgirlinNY

Are you having a bridal shower? Is it proper to have one with a DW?

My sister who is my MOH is throwing me a shower. At first I was very iffy about it, like a lot of brides on here, but honestly the more I talk to people the more I see they want to 'shower' you...we are also having a pretty formal AHR (dinner, open bar, DJ, dancing) so I just asked that whoever is invited to the shower has to be invited to the AHR.

I am actually getting excited about going to register with my FI!!

My MOH and Matrons of honor planned me a bachelorette party at one of their houses. I am also having 2 showers. One hosted by my future MIL's friends and one hosted by my aunts and grandmother. All of the hosts can not attend the DW but they will be attending our AHR.

I have told my MOH not to throw me one as I would rather have people at my DW and party it up there. Having said that, if I was being thrown one I would not object. Sometimes people just want to do things for you and who am I to say no to something done for me as long as I knew they were not over-extending themselves? I say if someone cares about you enough to throw one for you, just be gracious and enjoy!

I'm not into bridal showers so luckily I'm not having one. I might be sabatoged into having one but at least I know now that it'd be ok since we are having an AHR to invite people that aren't coming to the wedding. We wanted the wedding ceremony very small so that meant a lot of family/friends weren't invited(hence the AHR)

Like classadiva I was invited to the bridal shower and even the stag party but not the wedding. It was my best friends sister so of course I didn't mind going. It didn't bother me about not being invited to the wedding because I was told there wasn't room. But when my BFs ex-boyfriend came into town all of a sudden there was room for him even though I'd known the family longer. They'd been broken up for 6months even. That's when it felt like a punch in the face and I would never want anyone to feel left out like I did.

Just found my FMIL is thowing me a shower. November 29th is the date so far. I'll leave the invite list strictly to those invited to the wedding. We invited several people who we knew couldn't make it.

Sort of off-topic, is it okay to have an AHR later on in the year & specify 'no gifts'? I don't want to seem greedy. FI didn't want to do a registry.

Don't know if I'm having a shower, but TONS of friends (who aren't invited to the DW) have been asking if their will be a bridal shower. I guess some people just want to treat you and celebrate this exciting time. If I do have a shower, all of these guests will also be invited to our AHR.

I don't want people to bring gifts, so I will probably suggest a theme party........donate to a charity.......bring a bottle of wine.........etc...

My aunt is hosting a bridal shower for me. It will be nice to have one so guest invited who can't attend the wedding will at least get to be a part of it at the bridal shower.

Because the focus of a bridal shower is presents, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea - I wouldn't want people who aren't invited to the wedding to feel obligated to buy a present - and those who ARE invited are already spending a ton of money to come to my wedding so I don't want them to have to spend more. Instead, we are having an engagement party in New York (where we live and where my fiance is from) where we'll invite all of our friends who we couldn't invite to the wedding and then have an open house in Cleveland (where I'm from) after the wedding so my parents friends and extended family can meet my fiance. This way, people can feel like they're involved in our celebration but don't feel like they HAVE to buy us a present.