Rescue Dog - Advice Please!

ErinB

I am a huge dog lover but have never rescued a dog before any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, this beautiful sweet girl showed up on my mom's doorstep. It was raining buckets and her porch is covered. She is not in good shape at all. She has some scars and fresh wounds. The pads of her paws are worn and cracked and we think she has recently had a litter but the pups are nowhere to be found.

I don't know if she was abused, if she had the babies along her journey and lost them, or if someone took the puppies and dropped her.

She was exhausted and had the saddest expression! Saturday we gave her some water and a small amount of food and a blanket. She slept all day and was very weak.

It was cold last night, so I made her a house out of a box and duct tape and gave her more blankets. She was so weak she couldn't move from the porch. She did get up for a few minutes today to go lay in the sun. I'm a little worried because we haven't seen her go potty.

My mom isn't supposed to have pets at her place but I'm not comfortable bringing her home with me because I don't know if she is ill, has had shots, etc and I won't risk either of my dogs getting sick.

She has the sweetest temperament and has been so loving to us. Today she rolled over so we could scratch her belly!

I just don't know what to do with her! Mom is going to talk to her landlord to get approved for at least being a foster home. I don't think this will be a problem. She is either full blooded Pit Bull or at least a mix. If we take her to the county shelter they only give them 7 days before putting them down. The Humane Society will take her for a minimum of $25. If we want her on the no kill list there, it is a minimum of $100 depending on the kind of medical attention she needs. I can't live with myself if I know she will be put down because she isn't adopted, and we all know that Pits aren't adopted easily. My vet is coming out this week to look at her but neither of us can afford major vet bills.

She's still in her cardboard house on mom's front porch because she isn't very mobile. I'm thinking we'll move her to the back tomorrow, but part of the reason we left her out front was in case anyone is looking for her.

She is so gentle and loving it makes me wonder if she has a family out there somewhere. I don't know if she was rescued once before or something? I also keep thinking of the movie Homeward Bound and that maybe she is trying to get back to her home! LOL

Aww. So sad sad.gif I'm glad you guys found her and can at least try and take care of her.

Did you contact local rescue groups that may be able to offer advice?

Take a look on craigslist and other local resources to see if any has a missing dog post. I would look back a couple of weeks at least.

Could she possibly have a microchip? Maybe your vet can find that out somehow...

Aww Erin -so sad but im so happy she found people like you and your mom

I was going to suggest what Jessica mentioned to see if the vet can find a micro chip or see if there are any other local shelters - maybe even pit bull specific that can take her.

Best of luck!!!

I'll have to post a pic tomorrow.

I have an ad in the paper and one on Craig's List. They are both pretty vague but I want her to be safe and I know if my dogs were lost I would call every single person who found a dog.

I haven't been able to find a Pit specific rescue. I really want mom to keep her! I heart her.

We adopted a Pointer/Pit mix. She is the most amazing dog I have ever had. So loving and sweet. We didn't get her from a Pit specific rescue, just an all breed rescue. Many rescues will allow you to just drop off an animal. Your mom could volunteer to be the foster until they can get a new home for her, then you would know she is okay until she finds her forever home.

You sound like you are doing all the right stuff. Good luck :)

Awe, the little girl is so lucky to have found you and your mom!!! I would definitely find out about the chip, although sounds like that is unlikely. We adopted a pup (not really a pup but i like to call him that) a few months back. There are so many dogs and cats that need homes it is so sad!! I would be the same as you, wanting my mom to keep her at least until you found a suitable home for her. The breed specific rescues are great, but non-kill rescues are also just as great. We have several in our area that do not cost anything.

Good luck and i truly hope your mom keeps her. She sounds so sweet!!!

I googled and found a couple links to Kentucky pitbull rescues, but I don't know much about them at all.

Kentucky Pit Bull Rescue

This one has LOTS of extra links and info to help you out! American Pit Bull Rescue.

This one might help you find an all breed rescue nearby you Dog Rescues of Kentucky.

Bully Bliss K9 rescue

All or Nothing Pitbull Rescue

Haha, the list goes on and on. I don't know ANYTHING about Kentucky so I'm not sure which groups are near you etc. but often time many of the rescue groups have previous contacts with other groups and can hopefully network to find you the help that you need.

You've done an awesome job so far with giving this dog water and blankets etc. just be careful with her food since she sounds like she's a little fragile and too much at once could really disrupt her insides if she hasn't eaten much recently. I would definitely advise contacting some vets offices near you to get her in and checked out. Be upfront with them and ask if they will cover part of the costs since she is a rescue and you're not working with any rescue organization yet. Some places are really good about that so you never know! You're right not to bring her in contact with your own dogs so if your mom isn't allowed to have her in the building, even as a temporary solution, then perhaps you can find a friend who would be willing to help out while you find a rescue group.

Good luck and keep us posted on how she's doing! I can't wait until you get some pictures posted for us to see!