Vanessa Vargas Double-Booked Me

My first communication with Vanessa was three weeks ago when I inqured about photography services for our wedding. She immediately told me that she had our wedding date available. I was impressed with her quick responses to my questions, and her willingness to be flexible with the packages offered. I was also thrilled that her prices were within our budget.

We corresponded several times about the details, I signed and faxed her the contract two weeks ago, and made my 50% deposit via Pay Pal last week. I did not hear anything after making the deposit, nor did I ever receive a copy of the contract with Vanessa’s signature, which she stated she would fax to me.

Today I got an email from Vanessa stating that she was very sorry, but turns out that she had already booked another wedding on the same day as ours. This is after 3 WEEKS of corresponding with me.

I’m not going to speculate about whether this was an honest mistake, or whether Vanessa simply received a better offer from a client who wanted a longer shoot/ more expensive photography package. I will say that at the very least, this reflects a lack of organization and professionalism.

Our wedding is still 8 months away, so I’m hopeful that I can find a photographer who will be a good fit for us. I’m just really disappointed, and feel that my time was wasted. This forum has been a great resource for me, and I wanted this information to be available for other brides.

Thanks for reading.

Sorry that you went through that. I know choosing a photgrapher is a big decision, and I would be incredibly disappointed as well. I am hoping it was an honest mistake.

I also did a lot of research and price requests for our wedding. I found another photog. on here and booked them for our wedding. Moments that Matter is in the Mayan Riviera area, and their prices are very reasonable and have been really prompt with responses, awesome to deal with, and even answered a question for me within a couple of hours that was totally unrelated to our wedding.

Good Luck- I am sure everything will work out for you!

I' am so sorry you are dealing with this. Maybe she booked someone in when your deposit wasn't received yet. If she did book another "more expensive" bride in place of you, then I agree that is very poor business, and I' am very sorry. Just try to remember that everything happens for a reason, and I' am sure you'll find another photographer that fits your style & budget.

That totally sucks, but I do agree with Tammy, everything happens for a reason.

There are lots of other photographers in the area that would likely fall in your budget -- Sasha Gluck, Moments that Matter, Claudia Rodriguez, and Cecilia Dumas instantly come to mind.

Another option is bringing a photographer with you, which often times can end up being comparable in costs -- sometimes even cheaper -- and you get more coverage since they're there on a trip and will want to make the most of their time there! I was lucky enough to find a photographer who did my wedding for costs of travel and lodging only and she and her husband did a incredible job! wink.gif

There are lots of talented photographers on the forum you can inquire about (TammyB included rolleyes.gif or start looking at local photographers in your area or even open your search nationally. There's so much talent out there and lots of photographers looking to expand their destination wedding portfolio. So keep your head up because you will eventually find a photographer that's right for you!!!

You still have plenty of time to find the right one, don't worry. Sometimes we get a ton of inquiries within days with the same date. I guess it's just apart of the business and I'm sure she feels bad. Vanessa is very talented and MarieSam gave some other great options you could look into!

Have you tried any of your local photogs that may be interested in getting into Destination Weddings? I would check them too cuz then you can actually meet them and give them your deposit in person and have some face time :0) Maybe even book a local engagement shoot as a bonus to get to know them.

I agree that maybe you will end up with an even better deal now so while it sucks, don't let it disappoint you. As others have pointed out there are a lot of FABULOUS photogs. But I get it- losing 3 works worth of correspondance is not cool!

And holy crap MarieSam- your photos were just travel costs!? SWEET deal because they were gorgeous!

• VIP Member

Oh that's sad. I know how upsetting it is to get excited about something and then have it fall through. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but it still stings.

Thankfully this happened with plenty of time before your wedding, so you should be able to find another wonderful photographer who will capture your special day :)

• 1 month later...