wtf????????

rdhbride

I feel the same freaking way... I sent maybe over 100 invites and around 50 plus have RSVP but only 5 rooms have been booked. The deadline is Nov 6 for everyone to book with the TA... I have even called and texted my family things like there are only 10 rooms left... DId that motivate them of course not... OoO and the best part is it's not even my fam RSVP most of the RSVPs are friends... GRRRR Im yelling with all you ladies AHHHHHHH.....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just know that you are SO not the only one!

I'm 7 months out as well and only have 20 booked (most of the wedding party including the Best Man & Matron of Honor have NOT booked) 50 RSVP'd and I still haven't heard back from 35 people.

In order to get people to book I have had to seriously be on them... I just sent out like 90 postcards, some pre-postaged in an envelope so they can check "yes" or "no" and drop it back in the mail to me... secondly I gave people an urged book by date... we'll see if this tactic works.

A lot of people keep telling me, "what's the rush! It's next year!" UGH, who knew that there were so few people that liked to be on top of things and get things done BEFORE the last second.

Send out email nudges to people and have your TA let you know if the price drops at all, even a few dollars, everyone loves a sale.

Good luck girl, if I figure out another way that works I'll let you know!

Hang in there ladies.. it'll be a little easier to estimate number once you get a bit closer. But unfortunately, its pretty common to have ppl booking just weeks before the wedding (just added 4 to my guest list and we're less than a month from our departure date!! Had no idea they were even considering coming!).

I just don't want people to be booking like a few weeks before my wedding because I want to surprise my guests with a catamaran the day before the wedding and I can't reserve if i don't know how many people will be coming and i also definitely don't want to pay for people who won't show up after RSVPing yes.

I am debating if I should be straightforward in my invites which will be sent out early Jan, something like "you will not get a dinner plate if you do not book by April" i dont know if that will be considered rude or tacky!

Unfortunately, I have found that people don't give you the same consideration with a DW as they do with a traditional one! I sent out 104 invites, set up a way for people to RSVP via my wedsite (to make things easier) and only 8 people RSVP'd! There were 29 people booked by the deadline and yet, I just found out that 5 more people booked last minute this week! We leave in 2 weeks... Sucks, but that's the way it seems to work. I tried EVERYTHING under the sun to get people to give me a definite yes or no answer but most were still on the fence 7 months before the trip. I made my OOT bags for those who were booked by the deadline, and everyone else won't get anything! Harsh, but there was nothing else I could do...no use stressing out over other people's indecisiveness. KWIM? Just know that you are not alone and we are all here for you...vent away girl!!

I totally sympathize with your situations, but honestly, there is not a lot you can do to avoid the straglers. Pushing too hard may just put people off coming all together.

As brides, its so easy to get caught up in the need to know mentality, especially when looking at preparing OOT bags and making decisions on outings.

But as an invited guest, they are just looking at weighing the financial implications with the obvious great time they will have. Many people can not make this decision so far in advance, and need to see where they are at financially closer to the actual date. Hopefully though, you will get that feedback and be able to at least know how many guests are thinking of coming and estimate how many you will have. If you need to adjust the number a couple weeks before the wedding day, the resorts and tour operators will have no problem accommodating you on a couple weeks notice. As for yout OOT bags, buy 5-10 extra items beyond your estimate. If you don't use them, you can always try selling them to another BDW member after your event.

I hate to see you lovely ladies stressing over your RSVP's, with still so much time left before the wedding. There's not much you can do about it, so there is no sense in worrying. It will all come together in the end, and as long as you and the grrom say your vows, that's what ultimately matters, right? Your guests will have a great time regardless of if they didn't get an item in their OOT bag, or missed out on a tour.

It's ok to lay out an expectation to return your RSVP's by a certain date, but I really advise against pressuring your guests too much. They have to sacrifice time and money from thier own lives to attend your event, and you may come off as unappreciative of that if you begin making demands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandseth View Post
I totally sympathize with your situations, but honestly, there is not a lot you can do to avoid the straglers. Pushing too hard may just put people off coming all together.

As brides, its so easy to get caught up in the need to know mentality, especially when looking at preparing OOT bags and making decisions on outings.

But as an invited guest, they are just looking at weighing the financial implications with the obvious great time they will have. Many people can not make this decision so far in advance, and need to see where they are at financially closer to the actual date. Hopefully though, you will get that feedback and be able to at least know how many guests are thinking of coming and estimate how many you will have. If you need to adjust the number a couple weeks before the wedding day, the resorts and tour operators will have no problem accommodating you on a couple weeks notice. As for yout OOT bags, buy 5-10 extra items beyond your estimate. If you don't use them, you can always try selling them to another BDW member after your event.

I hate to see you lovely ladies stressing over your RSVP's, with still so much time left before the wedding. There's not much you can do about it, so there is no sense in worrying. It will all come together in the end, and as long as you and the grrom say your vows, that's what ultimately matters, right? Your guests will have a great time regardless of if they didn't get an item in their OOT bag, or missed out on a tour.

It's ok to lay out an expectation to return your RSVP's by a certain date, but I really advise against pressuring your guests too much. They have to sacrifice time and money from thier own lives to attend your event, and you may come off as unappreciative of that if you begin making demands.
great post...it is easy for us brides to get caught up with our planning and not see it from the invited guest's point of view!

Well said Amandseth!

I know if a bridegroom insisted that I give my final answer 7 months before I would probably just tell them no because my financial situation is very different month to month and I have no idea what I can and can't afford a year from now. I would probably have a better idea 1-2 months before and then book even later.

On the other hand, I would resent buying extra OOT bags and then having to go through the effort to sell the extras just because I couldn't depend on an RSVP that I paid for, and made very easy to fill out and send back.

I think I would take the approach of having a reply-by date 1-2 months before the event and then call whoever didn't respond by that point. Any 'I don't know' people will not get an OOT bag and will have to be included at the last minute for excursions if possible. Most caterers can accomodate an extra plate or two for stragglers so that is not a big deal. Sounds cut throat but I refuse to stress and waste money on things you can't be sure about anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandseth View Post

Oh my goodness...I am not looking forward to this aspect of it all...not when I am on the hook for 20 rooms!!! URGH!!

I do think that this economy has a lot to do with it. People want to make sure that the other shoe is not going to drop before they book. Good luck...I'm sure that it will all work out!!