Photo

"Please, No Boxed Gifts"- Huh?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 amandseth

amandseth
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

BWAAAHAHAHAH!! I love the advice to take the blender out of the box and wrap it! aaahahahahhahaha, that's priceless. Don't actually do that, it would be a bit spiteful, but frig, I can just see the look on the brides face!!! I'm in stitches here....
    Annie and Wes, 11.11.09, GRP

Grand Riviera Princess Review
    http://bestdestinati....-review-52769/Planning Thread http://bestdestinati....nscious-52815/

#22 Sloan

Sloan
    • 1,279 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by classadiva
      Now....I am a little older than the average bride, so maybe this is something new, but my FI and I received an invite to a AHR that included the phrase "Please, no boxed gifts." I have to say, I was not only a bit taken aback, but my initial reaction is that this is a bit tacky. Essentially, are they not simply asking that you bring a check? Did I read this wrong? This is especially true since there was no registry information included and no website to look at to find out where the couple is registered. I don't know...maybe it's me and this type of wording is perfectly acceptable. LOL
      Hey I got a wedding invite in July that said "monetary gifts only" LOL. I guess they didn't beat around the bush like "No boxed gifts"

#23 classadiva

classadiva
      • 685 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:13 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Sloan
        Hey I got a wedding invite in July that said "monetary gifts only" LOL. I guess they didn't beat around the bush like "No boxed gifts"
        Wow....that's amazing....never saw that before either!!

#24 Emily&Matt

Emily&Matt
        • 144 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

You could always look at it like this: Gifts can be expensive, depending on what people put on the registry. Some people are reasonable, some have very expensive taste. If you give a check, you can write it for whatever amount you want to give, instead of trying to find a gift in that exact amount.
          Oh, yeah, I think they are tacky, but I'd follow their tacky rules to my own advantage and give them whatever I wanted to give, not what they might be expecting.

#25 *Linds*

*Linds*
          • 5,776 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

Wow! I have never heard of anything like this! Probably not the way I would have gone about it...
            Loving married life! <3

#26 liznsergio

liznsergio
            • 400 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Wow!!!! This is so incredibly tacky!!!!! Ewwwwww! It is my own personal opinion that if a couple feels compelled to ask for monitary gifts, then they should not be putting on such an elaborate wedding and should keep it simple and within their means. What a horrible idea to even "tell" guests what kind of gifts are acceptable! Although I always give gifts from registries, people should graciously accept whatever their guests can give them. I personally think that reading something like that on an invitation should be the first indication that the entire wedding might be tacky....personal experience!

We indicated "no gifts please" on our reply cards, not the invitation itself.

#27 classadiva

classadiva
              • 685 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by liznsergio
                What a horrible idea to even "tell" guests what kind of gifts are acceptable! .
                To me...that is the greatest offense. A gift is just that...a gift....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users