Jamaican Wedding Cake

Included with our wedding package is a "traditional Jamaican wedding cake". I googled it and it sounds like a fruit cake with rum! I'm not sure if this is exactly what I want for my wedding cake, although its appropriate to our surroundings and we are having a traditional North American wedding cake for our AHR.

So I'm just curious, has anyone tasted this cake and if so, what do you think? And in general, are you going with the package cake or upgrading to something else?

Thanks for the input!!

Hey,

Im not Jamaican, but I am from Barbados. The traditional cake is a "fruit" cake ir rum cake." It is all types of fruit ground up like cherries, rasins, prunes, tuti fruti (which is kind of spicy) and sometimes nuts. It has spices in it like cinnamon and nutmeg, and it is all soaked in Rum. It is a very heavy cake, but alot of people like it. It is not like American fruit cake it is dark and sometimes referred to as "Black" cake. It is an acquired taste. The resort wont substitute the fruit cake for a "regular" or yellow cake? Hope this helps.

smile78.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB1980 View Post
Hey,

Im not Jamaican, but I am from Barbados. The traditional cake is a "fruit" cake ir rum cake." It is all types of fruit ground up like cherries, rasins, prunes, tuti fruti (which is kind of spicy) and sometimes nuts. It has spices in it like cinnamon and nutmeg, and it is all soaked in Rum. It is a very heavy cake, but alot of people like it. It is not like American fruit cake it is dark and sometimes referred to as "Black" cake. It is an acquired taste. The resort wont substitute the fruit cake for a "regular" or yellow cake? Hope this helps.

smile78.gif
My family is from Jamaica and I couldn't have described it better myself. JenninJamaica if you are visiting the resort prior to your wedding ask them for a sample. Or if there is a Jamaican restaurant in your area they will most likely sell "black cake" as a dessert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB1980 View Post
Hey,

smile78.gif
THANKS SO MUCH for the excellent explanation! I too am getting married in Jamaica (at a Sandals resort), and I have the choice between vanilla, chocolate or Caribbean Fruit, and based on your description, I now have made my decision to go with vanilla (even though I would probably love the caribbean cake, I wonder if my guests will, so vanilla it is to be on the safe side)!

HIGH-FIVES and thanks for your insight! wink.gif

I love Jamaican rum cake, my aunt made one for our suprise e-party. I probably wouldn't have it for my wedding cake because not everyone may like it. At some weddings we have a regular cake ( like vanilla) and give a slice of the rum cake in a favor box for guests to take home.

I agree! The Jamaican cake sounds good, and it would definitely add to the "traditional" aspect of the wedding...but to be safe, we decided on vanilla.

Thanks for the description of the cake--definitely helped me to imagine what it would look and taste like!

Thanks for the help everyone!!!! I am waiting to hear back from my WC what my options are for a different cake, but in the meantime my friend's husband is a chef and has offered to make me a Jamaican Cake so I can sample it. It sounds like a very interesting cake, but I don't know if very many people will like it!

My neice married a man from Jamaica, his family made the cake and brought it with them to Canada for the wedding.

All I can say is YUM YUM YUM. I have never tasted anything so good and I am sure after a few pieces I was feeling very warm inside lol. His family tends to love their rum and I am sure they soaked it in the rum for months lol.

I say go for it, I wish I could get one as part of my wedding package

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Jennin.

It's nice of your friend to make it but the real jamaican wedding cake has it's fruits and stuff soaking for weeks if not months before baking.

i'm jamaican and my suggestion is to go to a jamaican restaurant and ask them if they have 'rum cake' for sale. x-mas is coming up so i'm sure many places will have some for sale (traditionally baked for the holidays)

my co-workers love rum cake.

personally, if you have alot of picky people attending your wedding....i'd suggest going with a basic flavour like vanilla or marble.

all the best!!