Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Martha

What Does Your FI/DH Do For a Living?

Recommended Posts

It's fun to read what we all do for a living. I think we all have pretty interesting jobs!

 

So, I thought it would be neat to see what the men (or women) in our lives do for a living.

 

Jay is a Dynamite Shooter for a seismic company. He works out of state (in various parts of the country) for 6 weeks then he's home for 2 weeks. He shoots dynamite under the ground to check for natural resources. No amimals are ever hurt because they do it underground.

 

He is currently working in New York. I miss him tons. :heart:

 

He works 13 hour days/7 days a week for 6 weeks. His 2 weeks home is lovely and I look forward to it! He does this job because he loves it but he is also doing it so we can save money for our wedding, a new home we hope to build soon and to provide a comfortable life for us.

 

His being gone sucks but we have been doing it for 2 years already.

 

I love him! blush2.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank is the manager of a call center that takes calls for Limited Too, Yankee Candle, Christmas Depot, and a couple other clients I can't remember offhand.

 

He gets screamed at all day by pissy mothers who think their children are emotionally scarred and hate them for the rest of their lives because they didn't get their daughters didn't get their pretty little outfits in time for some birthday party or holiday.

 

He hates his job and they abuse him even worse than my job....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you're too sweet! Paul and I do the same thing - so just refer back to the post about what I do! lol

 

we're both computer software consultants - that's how we met. well, we met when i was a consultant and he was the client. he's now a consultant too. lol i've always called it our "advanced recruiting program." i've been doing this forever (10+ years), he started a couple years ago.

 

we basically help companies implement, upgrade, customize, train, test, etc. anything to do with the software package that we work with (PeopleSoft). we work for a tiny consulting company - not for the software company.

 

typically we're on the road - we work 4x10 weeks - M-Th, 10 hour days as a standard. though that hasn't really been true lately - we just work like crazy! we're hourly, which has it's benefits, but we don't get paid when we're not working!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maria~ I worked for an inbound call center in college. I worked for MCI. Ugh! It was nuts!

 

 

That's cute, Ann! Was he one of your clients?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Martha View Post
It's fun to read what we all do for a living. I think we all have pretty interesting jobs!

So, I thought it would be neat to see what the men (or women) in our lives do for a living.

Jay is a Dynamite Shooter for a seismic company. He works out of state (in various parts of the country) for 6 weeks then he's home for 2 weeks. He shoots dynamite under the ground to check for natural resources. No amimals are ever hurt because they do it underground.

He is currently working in New York. I miss him tons. :heart:

He works 13 hour days/7 days a week for 6 weeks. His 2 weeks home is lovely and I look forward to it! He does this job because he loves it but he is also doing it so we can save money for our wedding, a new home we hope to build soon and to provide a comfortable life for us.

His being gone sucks but we have been doing it for 2 years already.

I love him! blush2.gif
That must be hard being away from each other, must keep the passion there though! It sounds like a dangerouse job, you must worry all of the time, I kwow I would. Is he going to keep doing this job, or is it just till you have enough money for a house. It would be a tough life always worrying that he will be okay.

Everton is the business manager for a car dealership. He loves his job, but it is long hours and alot of stress. He is usually the first in and the last to leave, some nice perks though, we could drive a different kind of car everyday if we wanted, I make him drive a van, he loves me for that LOL, every once in awhile he comes home with a great sports car, and pretends he doesn't have 5 kids!

Kelly~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by akh View Post
you're too sweet! Paul and I do the same thing - so just refer back to the post about what I do! lol

we're both computer software consultants - that's how we met. well, we met when i was a consultant and he was the client. he's now a consultant too. lol i've always called it our "advanced recruiting program." i've been doing this forever (10+ years), he started a couple years ago.

we basically help companies implement, upgrade, customize, train, test, etc. anything to do with the software package that we work with (PeopleSoft). we work for a tiny consulting company - not for the software company.

typically we're on the road - we work 4x10 weeks - M-Th, 10 hour days as a standard. though that hasn't really been true lately - we just work like crazy! we're hourly, which has it's benefits, but we don't get paid when we're not working!
Strangely, I'm tempted to suck up to you right about now for a job! This is the field I'm trying to get into because it's so similar to what I've been doing for the last 10 years (implementing, installing, training hardware)...

cheer2.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Martha View Post
Maria~ I worked for an inbound call center in college. I worked for MCI. Ugh! It was nuts!


That's cute, Ann! Was he one of your clients?
Jumping gee-willigers, Batman! I did the exact same thing in college!

I worked for a subcontractor for MCI and that was the absolute WORST job in my life!!! I remember getting yelled at by this one lady and then she said, "I HOPE YOU LOSE YOUR JOB!" and without thinking, I said back to her, "I HOPE I DO TOO!" That was the moment when I knew I had to get out of there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiStreak View Post
Jumping gee-willigers, Batman! I did the exact "I HOPE YOU LOSE YOUR JOB!" and without thinking, I said back to her, "I HOPE I DO TOO!" That was the moment when I knew I had to get out of there!
Your funny, hehehe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelly~ He actually quit working there for about 6 months late last year/early this year. We are so accustomed to the money that he couldn't find a job that would pay him what he's worth and we have tons of credit cards right now. Our plan is to pay for the wedding, pay off our debt then build a house we can afford with my just my income. He wants to go to school for drafting or maybe art. Art is is passion but you cant do much with an art degree. And, he doesnt want to teach. We dont have children so he wants to go to school before we have them (if we are able to have them). I worry about his constantly but it's actually pretty safe. He is cautious and follows all their safety rules. But, ya, I worry...too much sometimes.

 

 

Maria~ Ha! I found that if I somehow got credit for what they were calling for, they were fine. I switched over to OUTBOUND calling for about one day! I was like "heck no!" Put me back on inbound! I can't sell a life support system to someone who is dying. I totally suck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Martha View Post
That's cute, Ann! Was he one of your clients?
he was! ironically i was brought onto that project for 6-8 weeks to teach him everything i knew so that he could be the internal support guy. well, 3+ years later, i was still there, and we were dating. there's also jokes about how he just never caught on, or that he played dumb so i'd have to stay. in reality their company just thought they could take on a full implementation and they couldn't, but that's the boring part of the story ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiStreak View Post
Strangely, I'm tempted to suck up to you right about now for a job! This is the field I'm trying to get into because it's so similar to what I've been doing for the last 10 years (implementing, installing, training hardware)...

cheer2.gif
while this job does have it's benefits ($$, travel perks, etc.) i am so burnt out! i hate never being home and having a normal life, and the hours can be awful - people think if you're the consultant and you get paid this hourly rate, that you should be available at any time! NOT! i've paid my dues, no thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×