HELP!!! I'm nervous about buying my dress!

I need advice!! So Iâ€m totally stressing about my wedding dress. Iâ€m getting married on April 22, 2010 and still have yet to order my dress…okay I havenâ€t even started looking. I think I keep thinking Iâ€m going to lose a ton of weight before the big day and have no idea what size to get my dress in. My sister went through hell with her dress and I donâ€t want to go down the same road (she bought her dress, then lost 50lbs. and the dress was too big for her even after alterations).

My weight has gone up and down my whole life and having to buy a dress six months ahead of time is daunting to me. So what should I do? Do I order the dress a few sizes smaller? Do I order it the size I am now? Or do I keep putting it off?

Help me!!! Thanks everyone!

I have no advice to give but feel your pain. I still have 12 months to go but went gown shopping a couple months ago. Everything that I thought would look good on me looked like garbage and things I had no interest in trying on in the first place, looked fabulous.

I am in the middle of bike racing season and when I get done in December, plan on working with my coach and a trainer to redefine my body so I have no idea if what I look good in now, will be the same thing I look good in later.

Decisions, decisions!

I would think it's no big deal if you're going with a simpler styled dress but it could get tricky if you are planning on something that is of limited production and only sold in limited areas.....

My 2 cents.

Jeni

We're date twins!!! I was going back and forth for the longest time about the same thing. I finally decided to just go out and look. I ended up finding a dress I fell in love with and ordered it for my current size. I did ask a lot of questions regarding alterations afterwards in case I did lose the weight I wanted to. At the end of the day, I really just had to look at what I realistically could lose versus what weight I would ideally like to be on my wedding day. The dress I got is also very forgiving and is fairly flexible for alterations. You still have time to look around, but I would suggest maybe starting soon so at least you have the time to check out your options, ask questions, and make a decision that's going to be right for your situation. Not sure if that was really any help to you, but thought I would share what direction I decided to follow. Good luck, hon!

We're date twins!!! I was going back and forth for the longest time about the same thing. I finally decided to just go out and look. I ended up finding a dress I fell in love with and ordered it for my current size. I did ask a lot of questions regarding alterations afterwards in case I did lose the weight I wanted to. At the end of the day, I really just had to look at what I realistically could lose versus what weight I would ideally like to be on my wedding day. The dress I got is also very forgiving and is fairly flexible for alterations. You still have time to look around, but I would suggest maybe starting soon so at least you have the time to check out your options, ask questions, and make a decision that's going to be right for your situation. Not sure if that was really any help to you, but thought I would share what direction I decided to follow. Good luck, hon!

A perfectly legitimate concern, my dear!

I would also have to agree and say that typically your best bet is to order the dress in the size you currently are, unless you are already on an aggressive weight loss plan, and are seeing drastic changes even at this point. I can't imagine what it must be like for the girls that order their dresses 2 full sizes too small, and don't lose as much weight as they had anticipated (if any at all!) and then they are spilling out of their gowns, that is, if they can even get into it in the first place!

One other thing I would suggest is a corset-laced back for your dress. They are waaayy more forgiving to weight fluctuation up OR down, and will still create a beautiful silhouette for whatever your shape ends up being on THE day.

My only other suggestion (which is not ideal, but I thought I'd throw it out there) would be to plan on buying your dress at a place that has a lot of inventory in-stock in a variety of sizes usually at all times (somewhere like a David's Bridal), so you will have the opportunity to wait until you get much closer to the wedding to see where your weight is at that point and you have a much more clear idea of what size will end up working best on you. If you decide to do this, just be sure to still leave enough time for simple length and bussle alterations, though!

Hope this helped, Stacey, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything turns out for the best! wink.gif

I would start talking to dress shops and looking if I were you. There are certain designers that can get dresses in sooner than 6 months. I heard that Mori Lee has some dresses that they have in stock that may only take 2 months. Also, you could buy a dress off the rack but that could be risky. Explain your situation and don't let them talk you into anything that you are not comfortable with. Good Luck!!

And I agree with Christy about the lace up dresses. I've tried several on and it's amazing how you can be a complete size or two different and it's still flattering! :)

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for your comments! I really took everything you said to heart.

Now I have some exciting news! I decided to take your advice and start trying dressing on. So my Mom and I planned to spend the day going to a few different shops. At the first place we went to I tried on two dresses and hated them instantly. The next dress I tried on didn't look like much on the hanger but when I put it on I was blown away. Not only was it gorgeous, it fit me perfectly right off the floor!!!! My Mom and I stood there for a few minutes looking at it.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the back. I really had my heart set on a corset back and this dress had a zipper and buttons. I was saying this to my Mom and suddenly the sales woman ran over and said not to worry because they could alter the back and make it a corset for $95!!!!

Then we asked how much the dress was....... the girl went to check and looked very serious when she came back. She said "Are you guys ready to hear this?" I was like "Oh crap it's going to be expensive". Then the girl said..........."Itâ€s $760". OMG we were so happy!! So I bought it on the spot. Part of me was unsure because I had only tried on 3 dresses in total but it felt right and I felt so good in it.

So the pressure is off. The best part? I asked the sales woman if I lost even 30lbs if it would still look good with alterations and they assured me it would be no problem especially with the corset back.

So this worked out better than I could have ever imagined. I canâ€t believe how relieved I am. Thanks for all of your help everyone!!!!

I recommend buying the size you are now, and then getting it altered if you have to. Yes, it's a pain, but it would be so much worse if your dress ended up being too small! I lost 30 pounds after I got mine, had it altered and all was well. And it was a very intricate dress, so it was no small feat - but a good seamstress can work magic. wink.gif Of course it's up to you...but I had a friend last year who 5 weeks before her wedding completely broke down because she couldn't zip up her dress! She ultimately starved herself (almost literally) and got into it - but that is a situation that I would rather not be faced with! Good luck!! :)