Jump to content


Destination Wedding Nightmare - Advice Needed!

  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 Tifuhhknee

  • Member
  • 631 posts

    Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:27 PM

    Where we live, people typically drive either an hour and a half or even 3 hours away to a larger city airport for better airfares. People do it all the time. So if that ends up happening, I don't think it's going to stop people from attending your wedding.
    Destination Wedding: April 21, 2011
    At Home Reception: May 7, 2011
    25 guests + bride + groom booked

    My Wedding Planning Notes


    • Jr. Member
    • 164 posts

      Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:28 PM

      Originally Posted by LadyTrunck
      In my opinion, I say you keep the date the same, for the people that already booked. Anyone else can drive the 1.5 hours.... I don't know about anyone else, but in order to get a cheaper flight (from San Jose, Monterey is expensive) I always have to drive over an hour to get to an airport.... I don't think it should be a problem. I mean, they're going on vacation!! :)
      I'm with her. For us to get good rates, we never fly out of our city (Cincinnati) unless it's work related and the company is paying. We fly out of Dayton OH - 1 hour away, Indianapolis IN - 1.5 hours away or Louisville KY/Columbus OH - 2 hours away.

      And here's hoping they get a bigger plane too.

      #13 TeNeil

      • Jr. Member
      • 192 posts

        Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:39 PM

        I agree with everyone else.....send out the invites!
        People will definitely drive a few hours to catch a different flight (our guests have to drive 3 hrs to the nearest airport)........people tend to put in a little extra effort when they get to attend a wedding at a vacation resort.
        And you never know, more seats could open on your flight.
        Good luck and try to think positive!

        #14 scrouse

        • Jr. Member
        • 185 posts

          Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:31 AM

          Originally Posted by mitzy7
          How close to your actual wedding did they add the extra seats?
          It was about 5 months before our wedding that they added the extra flight.

          And to make you feel a bit better, our TA also was very shocked that the original flight booked up so early. It was filled up in April and wasn't departing until November!! That's 7 months!! However, our TA was told directly by Sunquest that they often hold back on adding an extra flight because they don't want to have too many open seats. I guess they slowly release more seats based on demand. She was told that since the original flight filled up so early, there was a very good chance that they would be adding another flight...and they did (luckily)! And it sounds like maybe this will happen for you too?? I really hope so because even though your guests will be willing to drive to other cities for another flight, it would be soooo much better if you could all leave Toronto together!!

          #15 mitzy7

          • Newbie
          • 61 posts

            Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

            That's why I love this forum so much! People can actually relate to what you are going through. Thanks for all your advice. I feel so much better than yesterday.

            I will just keep my fingers crossed for a bigger plane:)

            #16 red789

            • Newbie
            • 37 posts

              Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

              Sunquest can be a very difficult company to deal with, they dont like to share info on seats, and when they do, they often dont tell the truth. I was told in July that there was 7 seats left on the plane. However, ive booked 6 people since then, been advised once that there was now 30, and then later, all they would say is there are a "few" seats left! Too bad that Riu and Sunquest have an exclusive deal, Riu are favourite chain of hotels down there, and sunquest my least favourite tour company.

              Just a heads up, that in the summer they usually only have one flight, then 2 from Nov - April. I find it really hard to beleive that its booked already, I would press your TA to find out more info, unless there is a very large group going, there is no way its booked this far in advance.

              Thought i would do some investigating, lol, sunquest website is confirming seats on your plane :) Id call your agent asap, ask them again, just how many seats there are!!

              Flights on Mondays from Toronto are currently stopping over in Mazaltan, you may want to find out if yours will be too, so you cna let your guests know, it adds an hour to the flight, you do not get off the plane, they call it a "touchdown". I just got that added news not long ago.... love sunquest...

              #17 SusieQ

              • Sr. Member
              • 1,603 posts

                Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

                I wouldn't stress too much there girlie!!! people that have their heart set on going will find their way. I have my FI's boss and his wife traveling from Costa Rica, they have to fly into the States to connect to go back south to Cancun... Just to get their flight they have a 4 hour drive on not so safe roads... They'll be there
                My Gfriend in Newfoundland has a three hour drive to the airport too.... Her and hubby will make the overnight trip and fly into Toronto to connect ans fly to Cancun with our group.... Those that want to make it happen "will"

                #18 ChristinaP

                • Jr. Member
                • 365 posts

                  Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:59 PM

                  Maybe some of the seats are only on hold right now too, and they will become available? The reason I am thinking of that is b/c with our group booking deposit, we only put a deposit for us out of Calgary, but we have seats out of Toronto and Montreal held for us until the end of November for our guests to put their deposits down.

                  Hopefully that is the case with your charter flight, and some will free up shortly.

                  Good luck!

                  #19 Sheree10

                  • Sr. Member
                  • 1,026 posts

                    Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:05 PM

                    I hope it all works out for you. Since 24 of your guests already booked just send out the other invites. Just like an earlier poster said if they can't get a direct flight from Toronto to Mexico they can transfer in the US.

                    BRIDE + GROOM + 60 GUESTS!!

                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users