Photo

Hepatitis A shot

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jolene

Jolene
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

FYI- I just went to my dr yesterday and told her we were planning a cabo wedding in April. She recommended the Hep. A shot for anyone traveling to Mexico or the Caribbean. It is a 2 shot series 1 now and 1 six months later. She said it protects against Hep A. which is passed from (fecal matter) people not washing there hands properly. She said even if you are staying at a 5 star resort it is highly recommended due to workers that are preparing your food. I know it is disgusting but I decided to play it safe. She said it is worse than montazumas revenge.

#2 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 10,366 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

that is horrible to think about! But good to know, thanks for sharing

#3 *JillD*

*JillD*
      • 5,112 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:27 AM

when I brought our daughter to the doctor he said she should get it, so she's had her first one, but when I called our doctor they said we didn't need anything, just another thing to add to my list of why I hate my doctor!! Its too late for us now, we won't have time for the second dose before we leave, but thanks for the heads up!

#4 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
        • 4,979 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:33 AM

I'm not sure about in the U.S., but in Canada they provide the shots in the school system. So, when I was in grade twelve I got all of my shots updated (hep shots, meningitus etc) and provided for me at my school. Anyways, the nurse told me they last a long time... for some reason I'm thinking 5 or 9 years. Either way, I'm in the clear. But if you don't have your shots - definately get it. It's better to be safe than sorry!
          Happily Married since May 9, 2008
          Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#5 JulieG

JulieG
          • VIP Member
          • 8,323 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Nini_Bride
            I'm not sure about in the U.S., but in Canada they provide the shots in the school system. So, when I was in grade twelve I got all of my shots updated (hep shots, meningitus etc) and provided for me at my school. Anyways, the nurse told me they last a long time... for some reason I'm thinking 5 or 9 years. Either way, I'm in the clear. But if you don't have your shots - definately get it. It's better to be safe than sorry!
            Umm.. are you sure about that Courtney. I had to get a Twinrix shot which is for A and B together, before I went to Thailand and it lasts forever. My DR said no matter what we got in highschool, the shots have changed and I should get this one. Its free, so ask your DR if you can get it. Its 3 shots, and I have a huge fear of needles, but its worth it.

#6 JulieG

JulieG
            • VIP Member
            • 8,323 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:59 PM

I just realised that you are 10 years younger than me, lol, so maybe you are fine. I had to get the Twinrix though, so other Canadian brides who are not youngins like Courtney, ask your DR. about it.

#7 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
              • 4,979 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Julesr
                Umm.. are you sure about that Courtney. I had to get a Twinrix shot which is for A and B together, before I went to Thailand and it lasts forever. My DR said no matter what we got in highschool, the shots have changed and I should get this one. Its free, so ask your DR if you can get it. Its 3 shots, and I have a huge fear of needles, but its worth it.
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Julesr
                I just realised that you are 10 years younger than me, lol, so maybe you are fine. I had to get the Twinrix though, so other Canadian brides who are not youngins like Courtney, ask your DR. about it.
                Haha, ya I graduated 4 years ago. lol. So they last forever?? I thought they had to be updated every bunch of years (like I said - for some reason 5 years or 9 years stick in my head).

#8 JulieG

JulieG
                • VIP Member
                • 8,323 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:45 PM

Quote:
                  Haha, ya I graduated 4 years ago. lol. So they last forever?? I thought they had to be updated every bunch of years (like I said - for some reason 5 years or 9 years stick in my head).
                  I know that the Twinrix shot lasts forever, but I have no idea about just Hep A.

#9 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
                  • 4,979 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:59 PM

Well, I know for sure we got Hep A and B, but I'm not sure if it's the "Twinrix" thing or not. Hmm... I wonder! I'd much rather never getting the shot again than every 5 or 9 years!!!

#10 dragonfly

dragonfly
                    • 1,820 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:12 PM

Quote:
                      Courtney they only provide Hep B and Hep c in our school systems, at least in Ontario, better check with you doctor. I just had all 7 of us vaccinated, a couple of weeks ago. I was also under the impression my kids were covered but I was wrong, good thing I asked, I phoned health Canada, then doubled checked with my doctor, I was told, nope the school does not cover them, they had not had the hep A shots. It is also not covered unless your private ins. covers it. Please check Courtney I would hate to think you thought you had protection and actually didn't.

Kelly`

Kelly~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users