Post all your carry-on questions here * Carry-on wedding dress/luggage

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of using those space bags to pack my dress. According to the commercials, they say that it shouldn't wrinkle too much but still hoping to just carry it on and use the closets. 

I saw a soon-to-be bride on my last vacation to Mexico, and she made a big scene with the airline attendants about using the first class closet when she was flying economy. I think they were initially going to let her, but she had such a bad attitude that they just told her to store it above at the end. Diva is NOT the way to go when you want a favor from the airline..

You might ask your seamstresses if they can pack the dress in a carry-on for you. I was planning on trying my luck with the plane closets, but my seamstress told me not to risk it, and to instead bring a carry-on bag with me to my last fitting. She'd then finish the dress, pack it for me and have it waiting that way when I picked it up. My dress is lace, and she said it shouldnt wrinkle at all, but even if it's not, the resort can usually steam it for you, and sometimes all it takes is a bit of tropical humidity to make any small wrinkles fall right out!

Originally Posted by jordanb View Post

Stella331, did you ever  get a solid answer on this? I was wondering the same thing and planning on calling, but if you did, please let me know what you were told! Thanks!

We flew United . . .They allowed me to carry on my dress and a large beach bag (that I just put my purse in, so I didnt have 3 items). They were great about letting me hang my dress in the 1st Class Closet. 

• 4 months later...
I'm thinking of using those space bags to pack my dress. According to the commercials, they say that it shouldn't wrinkle too much but still hoping to just carry it on and use the closets.  I saw a soon-to-be bride on my last vacation to Mexico, and she made a big scene with the airline attendants about using the first class closet when she was flying economy. I think they were initially going to let her, but she had such a bad attitude that they just told her to store it above at the end. Diva is NOT the way to go when you want a favor from the airline..
Its funny you mentioned a space bag for the wedding dress. A coworker is getting married tomorrow and she packed her gown I a space bag and packed it. Her resort provides steaming so she should be fine.

• 2 months later...

I had a lace dress as well and I packed it in my carry on luggage. I didn't use a space bag...just rolled it up and made sure to keep the tissue paper and hanger frame in the bust part so that the top part maintained the shape.  It barely had any wrinkles at all and my mom steamed it for me with a hand held steamer we brought with us.  I have to say that if you have a lace dress just pack it up and save the hassle of lugging it around the entire airport. 

• 1 month later...

I had not thought about using a space bag!  My dress is tulle at the bottom, but my hotel does steam it.  I will have to talk to my seamstress and see what she recommends.  Thanks!!