Photo

Engagement party standards for NON DW wedding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 echo2_62

echo2_62
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:14 PM

I'm hoping that I can get some advice relating to etiquette for an engagement party of a close girlfriend, even though she's not having a DW.

Honestly, I've only had a few friends locally who have been married recently (many others have but in a different province) and none of my married friends here have had an engagement party.

So now I've got an engagement party coming up this weekend and I'm wondering if we're supposed to bring a gift of any sort? As best I know they haven't registered anywhere yet so that option is a bit restricted anyways, but I know another girlfriend who received a LOT of money at her engagement party so I don't know if that is the standard. I would just feel bad if I showed up empty handed without realizing that I was breaking some rules, especially since she is a close friend (and both she and her fiance are attending MY DW in the spring, before having their wedding in late summer).

#2 stacey

stacey

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 4,853 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:26 PM

I dont think that you are required to bring her a gift. In my own opinion that is not what the engagement party is about. But I would maybe suggest bringing a card.
      Stacey & Ely 10.14.2008

#3 *Nadine*

*Nadine*
      • 5,466 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

I agree with Stacey.. at the engagement party thrown for us, everyone brought us a card and a couple people brought us a bottle of wine.. Nothing crazy

#4 SDbeachgirl

SDbeachgirl
        • 393 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:44 AM

We are actually having our engagement party this weekend and we have asked that people don't bring gifts. Of course we did register just in case because we knew that some people who would not make it to the wedding, may bring a gift anyway.

#5 Sheree10

Sheree10
          • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

I've read that you don't need to bring a gift. My family threw us an eparty -we got gifts and we really didnt expect it. It was a nice gesture but not necessary.
            http://tickers.Ticke....03cf/event.png

BRIDE + GROOM + 60 GUESTS!!

#6 echo2_62

echo2_62
            • 1,049 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

Thanks ladies!! I'm glat that I won't be messing up on anything! LOL! I'm totally not one for etiquette!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users