Photo

I'm happy I found this site...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 traciwells

traciwells
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

My name is Traci and I live in Los Angeles. My fiance Michael and I will be getting married in Chicago on Friday, October 26, 2007. (Yes, it's getting to be the last minute at this point!) We already have an amazing venue (Maxim's), but we're struggling with the caterer. We want something nice, but it doesn't have to be super fancy. We've been getting price quotes for a buffet-style dinner for 100 people between $7000 and $9000 (without alcohol or cake!). Can we negotiate? We'd really like to get this down to $3500-$4000 and are wondering if this is realistic.

#2 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

Welcome to the forum! I have to ask - why Chicago? My FI is from there, and we just moved back to Mpls in April. I can't help much w/your question - but wanted to say welcome!

#3 tvt

tvt
      • VIP Member
      • 4,812 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

Hi and welcome! Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you on Chicago..

#4 JulieG

JulieG
        • VIP Member
        • 8,323 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

Welcome to the forum. I really hope someone on here can help you with your questions. Sorry, but I don't know anything about that area.

#5 LadyP

LadyP
          • 3,156 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

first welcome to the site and I am going to suggest this website I found when I thought I would have an at home wedding. it is Fire Your Wedding Planner! - Money Saving Secrets Every Bride Should Know hope it works for you.

#6 ajncooter

ajncooter
            • 983 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:51 PM

welcome Tracy

#7 Jessalyn

Jessalyn
              • 1,876 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

Welcome Traci.

I'm not familiar with Chicago. But, based on the numbers you mentioned, you looks like they are charging you between $70 and $90 a person for food. And, you want it down to $35 -40 per person. I really doubt that they will negotiate down that far.

I got married in Cabo and for a buffet of fish, chicken, steak, shrimp and multiple salads, I was charged $65 a person (which was last years pricing). This year the price is $78/person.

Have you called a few different places to compare prices? Maybe if you did you would have more info to negotiate with.

Good luck! I think when caterers hear the word wedding, the price jumps up at least 50%.
                My new man....Donovan

Wedding photos and avatar by Jonathan Thrasher Photography - www.jthrasherphoto.com
                Our wedding slide show www.jthrasherphoto.com/slideshows/jessalynhttp://tickers.Ticke....k/27c1/age.png

#8 traciwells

traciwells
                • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for welcome messages and advice. Your profiles are so elaborate; I guess I really do have a lot to do still! We are getting married in Chicago because my fiance's family lives there and my family is in Michigan. We didn't want to make a lot of people come to Los Angeles, where weddings tend to be very expensive. So far, it looks like they are expensive everywhere though!

#9 Jessalyn

Jessalyn
                  • 1,876 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:15 PM

I think weddings are expensive everywhere! I thought Mexico would be cheaper...ha ha!

Your wedding will be gorgeous...you'll have to be sure to post some pics for us.....we love pics!

good luck! and, let us know if we can help with anything else.
                    My new man....Donovan

Wedding photos and avatar by Jonathan Thrasher Photography - www.jthrasherphoto.com
                    Our wedding slide show www.jthrasherphoto.com/slideshows/jessalynhttp://tickers.Ticke....k/27c1/age.png

#10 KRISTEN

KRISTEN
                    • 402 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:37 PM

to the forum and good luck with the planning.
                      Kristen

http://i189.photobuc....r/pic004-1.jpg
                      Glenn and I at our Couple's Shower
                      Nov. 3, 2007http://tickers.Ticke....9a03/event.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users