Marriage Certificate Translation

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Thomasjsgirl

Thomasjsgirl
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

Hi ladies,

My first anniversary was fast approaching (Nov 24), and I still hadn't arranged to have my marriage certificate translated into English. As you may know from other posts on this topic, it can be quite pricey, especially if you have the Dominican consulate do it. Luckily, I read about a translation service on this site that turned out to be the most economical of all. The service is Canadian, but since it's internet-based, I'm sure they can help out our American friends too. The total cost to translate my certificate from Spanish to English was $59.01 (taxes in). And, I was mailed two certified originals in less than one week. The site lists all of their translators -- you just click on a name and their contact info comes up. I used a woman by the name of Florinda Lages and she was very helpful and professional. Here is the site address: Translation ATIO - Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario | Association des traducteurs et interpr┬Ętes de l'Ontario, and here is Florinda's email address: flolages@rogers.com. I haven't taken it to the Ministry yet to change over my licence, but if I have any problems doing so, I will update this post.
    Lucy & Tom - Married 24.11.08
    Wedding Review - Dreams PC:
    http://bestdestinati....24-08-a-35102/
    Leftover Wedding Items FS:
    http://bestdestinati....g-stuff-56124/

#2 Tam

Tam
    • 551 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:58 AM

Thank you for posting this. All this stuff on translating documents has been stressing me out. Is it expensive to have done? Though I guess it doesn't matter as it needs to be done...

#3 Tam

Tam
      • 551 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

Sorry, I just realized you did put the price in...oops!

#4 khomac

khomac
        • 380 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

Now is this only for the translations? I think you still have to get it notarized after that don't you?
          Kelly & Pablo

http://www.michaelsteingard.com
          Michael and Phil Steingard are located in Ontario, but travel to Punta Cana quite often during the year. There is a good chance they will be down already during your wedding week, so this will cut travel costs

#5 *New* Mrs. G

*New* Mrs. G
          • 226 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:23 AM

Thank you for posting this information!!

#6 shankd

shankd
            • 272 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:21 AM

does anyone know the cost if the Dominican conculate does it?

#7 shankd

shankd
              • 272 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:21 AM

#8 nsbride2010

nsbride2010
                • 2,528 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:32 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by shankd
                  As you can see, the girl who started the thread said that it can be done, it is just more expensive... or at least that's how I understand it?

I'm definitely curious about the notorization though, how much does that cost (in addition to the translation)? If the Dominican Consulate does it, does it come notorized or just translated as well?
                  Enjoying marital bliss since July 1st, 2010

#9 Thomasjsgirl

Thomasjsgirl
                  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

Hi Ladies,

After all this time, I still don't know how to reply with multi-quotes! So, I'll try to respond to a couple of the earlier questions here. When you are translating your documents (birth certificate, passport) to bring with you to the DR, these must also be certifiied through a Statutory Declaration. It's been a while, and unfortunately I didn't keep any of the emails from the Dominican Consulate (in Toronto), but having these docs translated, PLUS we had to translate our divorce certificates from our previous marriages, rang up to the tune of over $300 (or may-be even $500! I'll check my wedding bills and stuff at home tonight). The Consulate "legalizes" these docs as opposed to "notarizing" them. You can cut some of the cost by having everything translated first by ATIO, who also certifies them, then bring them to the Consulate for "legalization". You can download the forms you need from their site: D.R. Marriage Requirements. If I remember correctly, the Consulate charges $100 to legalize them. This is simply another way for the consulate to make money, because if you don't legalize them, they won't be accepted by the judiciary in DR.

This thread was originally about translating your marriage certificate when you get back. You don't have to go through the Consulate for this. I'm planning to go to the Ministry this weekend to get my drivers licence in my married name, using the certified translation from ATIO. I'm not anticipating any issues, but I'll update this post with the results anyway.
                    Lucy & Tom - Married 24.11.08
                    Wedding Review - Dreams PC:
                    http://bestdestinati....24-08-a-35102/
                    Leftover Wedding Items FS:
                    http://bestdestinati....g-stuff-56124/

#10 MilitaryMrs.s-to be

MilitaryMrs.s-to be
                    • 553 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

Thomasjsgirl, How long did it take for you to get your Marriage licence back from the DR, or did you bring it home with you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users