Does everyone pay with wire transfers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pjw

• 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

I'm in the process of booking with Frederica from Micas de Miralls wedding planners for a reception in Xpu Ha. I've never wired money internationally and was wondering if it was safe? Any scams out there I need to be aware of?

They look like a legit company, but when it comes to money, I get worried.

Just hoping people can put my mind at ease.

#2 *Lo*

• 2,993 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

We did a wire transfer to Dreams for our deposit. I don't think I would wire a ton of funds though, I'd prefer to use paypal and have it go on my credit card for the insurance in case it was some type of scam. But for the $500 deposit I wasn't too worried about it.

Also if it had turned out to be a scam, there are so many brides who get married at Dreams and they would all definitely have heard about it from me should something have gone wrong!

I think things to look for are: Where is the account located? If it is in Africa and you are not getting married in Africa chances are it is a scam. Just make sure you have all of the info before transferring and you should be fine!

#3 march132010

• 1,057 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

We paid our WC in the Bahamas with wire transfer, just because we both bank with BOA and its quicker good luck!!!

#4 pjw

• 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

There is an option to pay by paypal, but there's an additional 4% charge. I think I can live with that. Thanks for the help

#5 poohshek

• 1,456 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:41 PM

I have used both PayPal and bank wire to send deposits to several vendors in Mexico. There is a fee involved with PayPal/bank wire and the transaction can be tracked. The question should be "Is the vendor legitimate?"

Also PayPal charges by a percentage of the total amount and it has a higher percentage for sending money to foreign countries, you may want to do a quick comparison with the flat fee for bank wire.

#6 KarenM

• 1,920 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:13 PM

Sorry, I won't be much help cuz we've only used paypal for paying our photog in Mexico, but it's been super easy & we haven't had any probs. I'd say it's probably fine as long as you know your vendor is reputable.

Found this link, maybe it'll help
              International Wire Transfer Service - The Easiest Way to Send Money

good luck!

#7 MKRN

• 18 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

I work at a bank, so if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help you. The biggest thing is once it's sent, it's gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users