Sign in to follow this  
JessicaM

Did you register for gifts?

My fiance and I are having a debate on whether or not we should register for gifts since we are having a destination wedding. He is thinking we are already asking too much of our guests (even though its almost all family) and we shouldn't register. I was just assuming we woud for those that aren't coming but we are going to invite to a AHR. So I just wanted to see if you ladies registered and had showers and such even though you were having a DW. Thanks!!

We are not registering and are not having any showers. But, we are not having an AHR. If we were, I would be registering and having a shower, but I do not want my guests who are paying to come to my wedding to also buy me a gift on top of it. So, in short, I would if I was having an AHR, we are not, so we are not registering or having showers. I hope that helps.

We are going to register because we know there will be some people that will want to get us something regardless.

I'm not registering either, but I'm not having an AHR. I think it's a good idea for the AHR. I tend to agree with your FI though, people are forking over a lot of money already, so I won't be registering.

We are registered because my sisters want to throw me a shower. Can't have people feeling odd about not getting a gift if they WANT to buy you something. By regisitering I feel like you are offering suggestion not demanding gifts. Kind of like when your grandma handed you the Penny's catalog and asked you to pick stuff.

I especially think it's a good idea if you're having an AHR. Also, people that cannot come to the wedding may still want to send you something. I think it's a good idea for that type of scenario. . .esp. if someone is planning to throw you a shower as well.

I'm throwing Monica a shower w/ her mom and SIL. And all the ladies in her family are so excited about it, even though they're not going to Mexico for the ceremony - they'll be at the AHR and I think they would be lost w/out a registry to buy from! LoL!

I say go for it! :-)

I defiantly would not think of registering if we were not having an AHR. I don't want the people coming to Mexico to buy us anything, their gift is coming down there. I just think though for the AHR it would be a good idea....I dont want people to feel though that they need to throw me a shower either.....

Our wedding is in Las Vegas, and we live in Northern California, so it's a 3 hour plane trip or a 9 hour drive to get there. It's not a huge strain on our guests, and I already know a few want to buy us gifts. We are registering, because we will be having 2 bridal showers, and I have already been told some people will want a registry to buy from.

we weren't going to register for the same reasons you mentioned - we didn't expect people to get us gifsts. also, i've lived in my own home for 10+ years now, and have been married before.

when my MIL and SIL decided they were throwing us a shower, people strongly suggested we register - people WILL get you gifts so you may as well give them some ideas! so we did register - we didn't get a ton of gifts, but at least those that did want to get us something had a place to go.

We weren't originally going to register, but friends and family called... and called... and called... so we really had no choice. Even the grandmother's were giving us crap for not registering!

Between engagement parties, showers, and friends just being excited about our marriage, sometimes you have to give people options. One option is to register and not advertise it - just register at a place like Macys and then only tell people who call and ask. See if you could NOT attach the registry to your wedding website (if you have one). Oh, and I definitely wouldn't send out those little "I'm registered at" cards with the save the date! I feel like you are just asking for gifts if you go that far, but that's just my opinion.