Sign in to follow this  
thefuturemrslutz

SO CONFUSED!!! Which resort?????

i am having the same problem, i have narrowed it down to the Paradisus & the brand new Dreams opening in october. Im pulling my hair out as i want to choose a great resort!

Im sure you have had alot of responses but here is what I did.

Initially I figured out I wanted Mexico, so I went to the TA and asked her for a print out of all the resorts available in my price range. Then she gave me all the travel brochures and I started looking at thise vs the print out. Once I had it narrowed down to about 5 resorts I went on trip advisor and started researching there. I then had it narrowed down to 3 resorts and spoke with my TA about the resorts and looked on here about those resorts, along with wedding pkg info etc. I finally narrowed my search down and subsribed to the corresponding threads to keep on top of all the information. It took me about 2 weeks to get a better idea of what I was looking for, resrt, ammenities, wedding pkg, etc but now Im very happy with my decision of resort. I have been to mexico many times and know the areas pretty well so it wasnt as hard of a choice for me. i knew I didnt want the Cancun area and I didnt want to be in the middle of no where in the Mayan Rivieria too, so I was able to anil down my choices a little better then too. I picked the resort that best suited my needs as well as my guests. You cant go wrong...just do a lot of research prior to committing to somewhere bc the last thing you want to be feeling is that you picked the wrong resort 4 months down the road. You have to pick the resort that best suits you, bc what suits one DW bride on here may not suit the rest....

Good Luck and enjoy planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuturemrslutz View Post
Thank you thank you for the input! Where are you having your wedding?
ha ha ha . . . haven't quite picked yet. We've been to the Grand Palladium so we know exactly what to expect there, had a great time would be a superb place! but . . . I think our pick will bethe new Dreams Riviera Cancun that opens October 1, but I'm double checking pricing. It's a smaller than GP and not so far south from Cancun.

It's just so hard to decide!

I know exactly how you feel! I was in your boat last spring so I decided to take a trip to mexico to figure it out.... after awhile all the pictures look the same! I can only comment on two of the resorts but I think your lists looks really good. I went the end of June for a site visit and stayed at Grand Velas and Azul Sensatori (also stayed one night at Hacienda Tres Rios). I have to say that I was blown away by the Grand Velas.... it's the most amazing place I've ever stayed at. I felt like royalty there. I thought Azul Sensatori was nice but Grand Velas is in a class of its own. I even went back there a second time to show my fiances parents. It's more expensive than some of the others but if you deal directly with the hotel and don't go with a travel agent then the prices are a lot better (at least that was my experience, but I'm sure different TA are different). They have been awesome to work with and I love the wedding coordinator, she makes me feel like I'm the only bride. Anyways, send me a PM if you want to see pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonie View Post
i am having the same problem, i have narrowed it down to the Paradisus & the brand new Dreams opening in october. Im pulling my hair out as i want to choose a great resort!
Such great information here! I am also so confused with the myriad of choices and having never been to Mexico, it's hard. Noonie, just one question: when are you getting married? The reason I ask is that my TA cautioned me about booking with brand new resorts. It usually takes them about a year to work out the kinks. She said she has had clients who booked with brand new resorts against her advice and would come back with food poisoning.

I think my top choices are Barcelo Maya Palace (lots of recommendations from friends) or Iberostar (although I think this one's pricier). I haven't looked too much into details of wedding packages yet though. I'm currently also drooling over this complex called Mayakoba (Mayakoba :: this is living.). They have 5 different resorts/complexes. It's difficult finding information on them though, but can post if I find out anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennybell1 View Post
i knew I didnt want the Cancun area and I didnt want to be in the middle of no where in the Mayan Rivieria too, so I was able to anil down my choices a little better then too.
JennyBell1, which area did you end up picking? I'm curious, because I'm the same (don't want the party atmosphere of Cancun, yet don't want to be in the middle of nowhere). Thanks!

I chose Azul Beach b/c it was small - only 98 rooms. I did not want a big resort. I think Azul Beach is one of the only small resorts in the Riviera Maya. Plus, we get a donkey at our cocktail reception carrying 2 barrels of beer! Can you ask for anything betterhuh.gif!!!

just to respond to why Azul Sensatori may be getting bad reviews...(if you're looking at Trip Adviser) is that (from one of the AS brides on their thread) while they were doing a site visit there was a guy there who was complaining about anything and everything, for NO good reason, and also was encouraging for everyone else he spoke to there to do the same...that would explain the reviews.

And the girl who shared this story, was actually there and she commented in the thread about the claims he'd made and actually what the truth was and what was totally unfounded.

Hope that helps some people, and why you can never take what's said on Trip Adviser to heart!!