Photo

Got married in Jamaica (moondance villas) in June...what to do next?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WAJA2009

WAJA2009
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted on these forums in a while....anywho, I got married in Jamaica June 20, 2009 at Moon Dance Villas in Negril.

It was fabulous to say the very least and I am gonna do a review soon...but I have a question....now that we have our paperwork from Jamaican Govt showing that we married in Jamaica, what do we do next?

Is there anything further we need to do to be legally married in the US?Do we need to get a license in our state or is that unnecessary?

Help me out!!1

#2 montegobay09

montegobay09
    • 832 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

I know that for me here in Canada I don't have to do anything else...only to change my name.

I only know what I've read on other posts that it's the same for the US...as far as I can tell anyway.

I know it's not much help but hopefully it'll reassure you for a bit until someone else can let you know for sure.

#3 islandbride317

islandbride317
      • 1,866 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:14 AM

I think you need to take the paperwork you've received from the Jamaican gov't to your local courthouse to have it made official in the eyes of the U.S. gov't.....I could be wrong, though! If anyone else has insight, I would also LOVE to know!

#4 drbrainfreeze

drbrainfreeze
        • 813 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

You are all set. It is legally recognized in the US. You can just take the license to the SS office and start the name change process (if you are doing that). Otherwise, nothing else to do.

...Now if the RIU would send MY certificate, I would be happy.

Congrats on your wedding!

#5 jenjoe08

jenjoe08
          • 67 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hi there. You should be all set. Call your town clerk to confirm. Jamaican marriages are fully recognized in the US, but some clerks want you to file the document with them as well so that it is recorded here too. Congrats!

#6 jenjoe08

jenjoe08
            • 67 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

Hi there. You should be all set. Call your town clerk to confirm. Jamaican marriages are fully recognized in the US, but some clerks want you to file the document with them as well so that it is recorded here too. Congrats!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users