Photo

Will my favors be confiscated by customs?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 diamondpooch

diamondpooch
  • 546 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

I want to have a beach tote with goodies like monogramed sunscreen, monogramed towels, etc to put as a welcome gift for each of my guests and I'm wondering how to get it all down there. I've heard horror stories on forums such as this one of women shipping their favors down there and them getting confiscated by customs. But, also, if I load it all up in suitcases and take it I'll have to pay the baggage fee through the airlines.
    I won't be bringing anything liquid.
    Any experience with this or suggestions?

#2 PetitRouge

PetitRouge
    • 174 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hello,
      well i do not have any experience seeing as I am only getting married in June. But i thought i remembered reading somewhere on the site, that it is important to keep your receipts. So that way if they ask you have exactly how much stuff cost.
      I guess another thing that you have as back up is that none of it is staying in the country it is coming in and going back home with guests. And if all else fails i guess that there is always crying :)
      Not sure how to get around the luggage fees...i think i am going to end up paying them as well..oh well part of the wedding budget i suppose:)
      Hope this helps.

#3 FutureBotter

FutureBotter
      • 46 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:51 PM

YES ... KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!!! Even though we didn't get tagged by the red light, we still were pulled to the tables for inspection. Seeing as though we had 7 bags of luggage for 2 of us was a bit odd too! They did go through everything and ask what it was for. Glad I had monogramed jsut about everything! They questioned the advil, sunscreen, etc. Mainly the pharmacy stuff! I bought almost all my bag stuffers from Wally world (Walmart), Target, and the dollar store ... Thank goodness! If your products total more than 300 (which they will check with your receipts) you will be required to pay a tax for them. Not sure what that will be, but was something I wanted to avoid so was sure to keep my totals under 300 (well the totals of the receipts I had)! Just be prepared to have them check your stuff, and have your recipets handy with your travel documents!
        Christy and Jason
        July 31, 2009http://www.weddingco.../wqlqyqvka2.png

#4 Melissa D

Melissa D
        • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

Thanks guys, this information is great to know. I didn't even consider it could be taken in customs!

#5 Ginalyn

Ginalyn
          • 2,754 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

This thread has a ton of info:

http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t41422

#6 diamondpooch

diamondpooch
            • 546 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for your help! I've heard NOT to ship it as customs may steal it and the hotel will not accept responsibility for it. I'm just going to try and stuff everything into two suitcases and just pay the $25 bag fee.

#7 MissLucky7Bride

MissLucky7Bride
              • 147 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

Thank you for the link to the customs thread. Looks like I will be studying it this week

#8 SusieQ

SusieQ
                • 1,603 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:40 PM

I never even thought of that and it being an issue... yikes i better start planning ahead and keep receipts

#9 t&kJanuary2010

t&kJanuary2010
                  • 196 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:53 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by FutureBotter
                    YES ... KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!!! Even though we didn't get tagged by the red light, we still were pulled to the tables for inspection. Seeing as though we had 7 bags of luggage for 2 of us was a bit odd too! They did go through everything and ask what it was for. Glad I had monogramed jsut about everything! They questioned the advil, sunscreen, etc. Mainly the pharmacy stuff! I bought almost all my bag stuffers from Wally world (Walmart), Target, and the dollar store ... Thank goodness! If your products total more than 300 (which they will check with your receipts) you will be required to pay a tax for them. Not sure what that will be, but was something I wanted to avoid so was sure to keep my totals under 300 (well the totals of the receipts I had)! Just be prepared to have them check your stuff, and have your recipets handy with your travel documents!
                    LOL...I love it...7 bags!! I keep telling my FI to be prepared...he thinks I am crazy and we are not bringing 5 bags. I would love to know how he plans on getting all this stuff down there!! His parents are traveling with us on the way down so at least there will be 4 of us to help out.

#10 trvlgrl

trvlgrl
                    • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

Rather than shipping my 2 boxes of supplies, my husband (fiance at the time) and I ended up taking them with us as "luggage" on our flight (we flew United). We also had our regular suitcases and carry-on bags. We did get stopped at customs and they did open up both boxes but scanned through a few items only. I even had the puff mints from See's candies. They obvoiusly knew we were there for our wedding so they just let us go. We also had our hotel name written all over our boxes just in case they got lost in transit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users