Good and bad news for our wedding.

As much as I hate to say it, FI and I have made the decision to NOT have a destination wedding.

It has just felt like there is so much working against us, budget issues plus a lot of stress with family politics and limitations(including their inability to travel very far). We have always said that family is the most important thing to use, that the wedding is for our families, if it was just the two of us, we could be anywhere as long as we are marrying each other. So every decision we made was based on how well we could accomodate to our family's needs so that we could have them there with us. As I'm sure many of you know, a destination wedding is not always conducive to that, especially with this economy. The stress just got to me to the point that every other day I just wanted to pack up and elope, and we probably would if it wasn't for our families being such a big part of our lives and we didn't want to hurt them.

A couple days ago, as our plan B in case things didn't work out with our last option in Santa Barbara, we drove around town here in AZ checking out some wedding venues, all the while getting more frustrated and more bummed to be giving up the dream wedding on the beach. Then we stumbled, for lack of a better word, on this resort that neither of us even knew was there. It's called the Intercontinental Montelucia here's the website if you want to check it out...

Scottsdale Luxury Hotel | InterContinental Montelucia Resort & Spa | Paradise Valley Arizona

It is just gorgeous, we walked in the front and felt like we weren't even in Arizona anymore, maybe not even the country. It's all Spanish architecture, the resort itself is backed right up against a mountain, and as we were standing in one of the ceremony locations, I got chills. I was in love with the place and could picture our wedding there. love.gif I told FI that I thought we had just found our place, that it just felt like, us. He told me, I'm so glad you said that I was hoping it didn't just feel like that to me.

So no beach and no traveling, but FI promised me a beach for our honeymoon so that's a good compromise to me. I honestly don't think there is anything like this place is to us even if we did have our wedding somewhere else.

I'm not longer a technical DW bride but I don't think I could live planning a wedding, even if it is only 30 minutes away without you guys here on the forum so I'm staying dangitwink.gif

I'm sad you will no longer be having the beach wedding you always dreamed of, but it sounds like you and your FI have made a great compromise! I'm sure this forum will continue to provide you greate insight and ideas, whether your wedding is thousands of miles away or 30 minutes! Congrats on picking your location, its always a big decision to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malisa View Post
I love the Montelucia. We were there just a few weekends ago. Let me know if you need any help.
Were you really? They seem like they really cater to weddings, with the chapel and the bridal suite and lawn. I can't wait to go take an official tour, just waiting for someone to get back to me. I would love to see some pictures of actual weddings there if you know where I could find that.

The only thing that I have to start completely over from scratch with is our STD's. Somehow the names written in the sand thing doesn't really go anymore, maybe I'll do it anyway because we went through all the trouble of doing it in CA and I just love the way they look.
And now I have around 6 months to plan the wedding instead of 9. Oh boy.

Its still a destination wedding ...your in a place that no longer looks like AZ, doesnt feel like arizona and you love it. So you dont have to fly somewhere like the rest of us, but you could still consider it a DW. I dont think anyone will disagree with you. Look at it this way, atleast you dont have to worry about not getting emails back from your WC, you dont have to worry about cutoms, how your going to get all of you decorations and dress down there.....lol....you'l be laughing!

Just bc this is a DW forum, everything can still apply to your wedding too. Except for maybe a few subforums...who cares. Have fun and congrats on finding a new place and following your heart and not sacraficing the importance of both of your families.