• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bholthof

bholthof
  • Banned
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:51 AM

Hi ladies,

Are any of you doing the renewal of vows instead of the legal ceremony?? (ie. getting married legally at home then doing the ceremony in Cuba?)

How did this work for you? Do you have a template of the ceremony wording?

I'm bringing a minister with me, but I guess for the renewal of vows ceremony they still need to book the notary - and I want to work the two ceremonies together. i asked my resort, and they said they don't have a copy of the renewal of vows ceremony - only the notary has that. So I thought I'd turn to you knowledgable ladies.

Thanks.
    21 people + Bride & Groom booked!!

http://tickers.Ticke....8e20/event.png

#2 Amarillis

Amarillis
    • 1,913 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

You won't need the notary for a renewal of vows - she comes just for the legal wedding. Is there a reason you aren't legally getting married in Cuba?

#3 bholthof

bholthof
      • Banned
      • 323 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

Yes - my father is a minister, and he's done all the weddings for our family so far... I really want him to do the wedding!!

Plus this way we save on costs re: translation of documents, notary fee, etc.

Its just bizarre because at Playa Costa Verde she said the notary is still required for the Renewal of Vows ceremony - as they give you a certificate. I've asked about them not being there - but they haven't responded yet. Darn island time!!!

#4 Amarillis

Amarillis
        • 1,913 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

If I remember correctly the notary costs are built into the package at the resort (@$150 CUC's) -- there are no costs for translation if you have never been married before. You simply need your passport and birth cert.

#5 bholthof

bholthof
          • Banned
          • 323 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:32 AM

Really?? I thought you still had to get them translated. But regardless - I want my minister to do the ceremony. Plus I want my sister to stand up for me...

#6 Amarillis

Amarillis
            • 1,913 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

Yeh, well with those 2 criteria - you can't do the legal ceremony in Cuba.

Your WC at the resort should be able to accomodate, what if you did the ceremony symbolically at the resort, arrange for your dad to officiate - but do the legal portion here in Canada first. I am sure that with a Dad as a minister - that there are ways around it.

#7 Amarillis

Amarillis
              • 1,913 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

Yeh, well with those 2 criteria - you can't do the legal ceremony in Cuba.

Your WC at the resort should be able to accomodate, what if you did the ceremony symbolically at the resort, arrange for your dad to officiate - but do the legal portion here in Canada first. I am sure that with a Dad as a minister - that there are ways around it.

#8 JessiH2009

JessiH2009
                • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:55 AM

I realize this is an old post, but I too am thinking of doing the "official" paperwork here and doing something ceremonial at the destination I choose (now between Mexico and Cuba) However, now that I have looked into Cuba the process seems easier there than a lot of other places, now I am torn. What are others' thoughts, do the whole shebang down there or here in Canada?

#9 AlexsBride

AlexsBride
                  • 401 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

I think we are going to legally get married before we leave (or after we get home) because my FI has been divorced and we can save some money by not having to get his divorce decree translated etc.
                    Mom to two beautiful girls, Izzy and Delilah and about to marry their Daddy! :)

#10 sjmacphe

sjmacphe
                    • 291 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

I am going to the legal wedding, it is quite easy if you've never been married before - the only downside is that you may have to get your marriage certificate translated, but other than that it is legit and quite easy. Also, it takes up to 6 months for you to receive the official marriage certificate, so it can take awhile to change your name. Do you know how much it costs to legally marry in Canada (I'm just curious)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users