I'm going to San Antonio next weekend. Any sightseeing advice?

Sarah

My brother is graduating from the Air Force's Basic Military Training (Boot Camp). My dad, SIL, niece, and I are going to San Antonio to watch him graduate and will be there from Thursday through Monday. We won't be able to spend a ton of time with him, so are planning to do some sightseeing while we're there.

So, does anyone have any suggestions of things we should do during our trip? Finding a super cheap hotel is next on my list of plans...lol

awww- i love san antonio- definately try to get a hotel on the riverwalk- usually we get them through priceline for a decent price. the riverwalk itself is really fun- bring your appetite- there are SO many great places to eat- we ate a place called Boudreax (its sorta fancy but reasonably priced) on the riverwalk and it was awesome. san antonio also had the alamo which is cool to see, the san anotnio spurs (if you like basketball), sea world, and an amusement park (cant remmeber the name)- also about 1 hr away in san marco is a HUGE set of outlet stors which are AMAZING- they have coach, gap, banana, armani, etc- may be too far for you but its amaxing if you get the chance.

enjoy yourself girly- oh yeah sidenote- i was born on the airforce base in san anotnio where you are going to see your brother graduate! have fun!!!!!

Hmmm I think they have a seaworld there arah, if you're into that type of thing. All that basic training stuff really interests me. I think they only get 1 day to spend with their families which REALLY sucks in my opinion. Congrats to your bro, i hear the traiing is super tough. HAVE FUN!

Go to the Mercado!!! It's pretty cool! It's about 10 blocks from the Riverwalk, but still do-able. When you're on the Riverwalk, there's a great little Mexican restaurant with an outdoor cafe that I can't remember the name of, but it's awesome food! Definitely do the Riverwalk boat tour and if you can, do it as the boat dinner! It's fun and informative.

Oh yeah--- if you have time, definitely go see some of the missions! They are amazing!!! The Alamo is right next to the Riverwalk, and it's really neat too with some pretty gardens/ponds!

Be cautious about some of the hotels right around the Riverwalk---- they can get kind of nasty---- If there's any way you can swing staying in a hotel *on* the Riverwalk, you'll be much better off!!!

SA...been there many times! My fiance is from SA. If you like water, you can go tubing down the Guadalupe River. That's fun, although the water is really cold. You can take an extra tube with a cooler of beer. Of course, that's if you just wanna relax. Also, there's Schlitterbahn, which is the water park and the Natural Bridge Caverns. Fiesta Texas is like Six Flags over Texas. Outlet malls are in San Marcos ab 30 minutes north if you wanna shop at all. There's a lot to do, it just depends on what kinds of things you like. Riverwalk is a must and the Alamo, too, if you like history. Have fun!

Rosario's restaurant!

Riverwalk (a must!!!), Alamo, Riverwalk Mall, Fiesta Texas, Sea World, Guadalupe River, Mercado, San Antonio Zoo, IMAX theater, Botanical Gardens, shopping in San Marcos (amazing outlets!!!)....much more stuff to do. If it was still basketball season, you could catch a Spurs game.

If you do nothing at all, please go to the Riverwalk!

Quote:
bring your appetite- there are SO many great places to eat- we ate a place called Boudreax (its sorta fancy but reasonably priced) on the riverwalk and it was awesome
Lol! That restaurant was going to be my first suggestion! I LOVE their food. The guacamole is the my favorite (and I'm pretty picky about my guac.) also their top shelf margarita is good - make sure you have some food with it for sure, it's a doozy!

Boudros: A Texas Bistro on the Riverwalk

I agree w/ Maria...try to find a hotel ON the riverwalk. 1. because it's fun! 2. because they're all pretty nice, nothing to funky to worry about.

David and I got engaged in SA - so it holds a special place in our hearts! We stayed at La Mansion del Rio - very nice...not so much "cheap" unfortunately. But check it out on Expedia...and maybe give them a call, we got a better rate by calling then online. But anyway, there a lots of hotels on the riverwalk, you should be able to find something cute. The Watermark is gorgeous by the way! Not sure about their prices though.

Also, if you're looking to splurge on dinner, Las Canarias - in the La Mansion hotel - has great food! Awesome wine list in my opinion (the only place I've found Jordan Chardonnay by the glass, ever. And it's a really good chard.)

Las Canarias San Antonio Fine Dining at the Omni La Mansion del Rio

Also, Landry's is pretty good for seafood and I really liked their bar upstairs. They have live music and it's just a cozy little bar. We had fun there.

Dick's Last Resort is just goofy fun - but good for a snack and cold drink after wandering around the riverwalk in the sun.

That's all I can think of at the moment...I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind.

Have fun!!! bunny_4.gif