Vaccinations and Medications

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 abbyroldan@yahoo.com

• 62 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

I'm a US citizen planning to go to Jamaica for my wedding. Does anyone know if I need to get any vaccinations before my trip? and how far in advance before my arrival? Is this something suggested only or actually required?
    Ms. Abby

#2 jk1101

• 2,582 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

I've never heard of needing any - and I've been there before.

#3 cutedimplestee

• 487 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:19 PM

You don't need any vaccinations to go to Jamaica.

#4 *Karla*

• 4,854 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

You do not need any shots, it's an hour flight from Florida. Not over seas to someplace like Africa.

#5 Vikki

• 807 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

It's not required but I would suggest you have all your Hepatitis vaccines. It's just a good precaution, regardless of travel locations.

As for medications always travel with your medications in the original prescription bottles and if you take a controlled substance I would recommend a letter from your doctor in addition to the prescription bottles.

#6 blumenthale

• 242 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:34 PM

Hi, I am a nurse and huge traveler. You don't need any specific shots for Jamaica. However, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has a great travelers info page, you should check it out.
              Vikki mentioned Hep B vaccinations, it's three separate shots over a few weeks, and if you haven't gotten it, you should just for your general health. Plus, a flu vaccine is always good to get in the fall. Your date is just after the peak of the flu season but if you have guests flying in they could bring it with them. Otherwise, bring hand sanitizer and use it on the plane, before and after you use the bathroom and when you touch public surfaces.

#7 KarenM

• 1,920 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

I'm an RN as well & actually for Hep B injections the series is spread out over 6 months. So you'll get the 1st shot, then the 2nd shot one month later and a 3rd shot 5 months after the 2nd (6 months after your initial injection). It's a good idea to get the Hep A & B shots just in general, like blu said above.
                Here's the CDC's travel page for Jamaica.
                Health Information for Jamaica | CDC Travelers' Health

#8 caporrone

• 109 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

the only thing that I could think of is you may not be able to donate blood for 6 months to a year when you return back to the states, that is of course - If you are a blood donor- That is what happened to me when I traveled to Mexico for a wedding 2 years ago, I don't know if that will be the same when we get back from Negril

#9 mswhatever

• 475 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:38 PM

I was in Jamaica last May. I did not need any vaccinations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users