Traveling With Dress

I just got married in Mexico and I carried my dress on the plane. I had to make a bit of a stink about them storing my dress in the crew closet up front, because by the time I got on the plane, 4 other brides had already stored their dresses in that one closet! We had 6 brides on our flight! Anyway, after stating very loudly to a fellow passenger that the flight attendant wouldn't take my dress and store it up front, another flight attendant said "don't worry -- I'll take care of it for you", and promptly took my dress and stored it. I don't even want to know how squished in it was, but I had a chiffon dress, so wrinkling wasn't a problem. When I opened my garment bag in Mexico the day before the wedding, there wasn't a single wrinkle, so I was lucky.

I would suggest talking to the airline staff when you check in and again at the gate, and be polite but assertive with the flight attendants. I think most of them are pretty understanding -- I mean, it's your wedding!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaredviolets View Post
Has anyone used those carry-on sized boxes? I'm too scared to just use a garment bag.

or anyone use a folding garment bag from the uk like this:
WEDDING GOWN Dress CARRIER - Folding Travel Bag 1431-1 on eBay (end time 25-Feb-10 09:36:36 GMT)
I used 2 cloth garment bags and a plastic one as well to bring my dress home from Phoenix, my thick plastic one came from the dress shop and was see-through and I bought 2 pink cloth garment bags, because I was unsure if you would be able to see through them and also felt they protected the dress more. I spend $10 on each, so $20 wasnt bad to keep my dress safe and sound :)

I am carrying my dress on the plane. I called the toll free # for the airline we are flying with & she stated that 99.9% of the time they would store it in the crew's closet but depending on the flight attendent she may have you put in the overhead compartment. She suggested you let them know as soon as you check in!

• 2 weeks later...

I inquired about how to get my dress down to Mexico when wedding dress shopping and the sales lady said to roll the dress up with towels and put it in your carry on. I haven't seen any posts about this, so I am wondering if that is really a good suggestion. My resort does offer dress pressing, but...

Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&A2010 View Post
the sales lady said to roll the dress up with towels and put it in your carry on.
I was planning on doing this too, with a small dress, but when I changed my mind and exchanged my dress for a larger, poofy-ier one, I don't think there is any way to roll it. If your dress can roll into a carry-on, I say do it! Here is the bag I bought when that was my plan.
Antler Size Zero 'Roll Up' Garment Carrier - CLOSEOUT > Garment Bags > Luggage - eBags

Have any of you ladies flown on USAirways? I contacted them because my dress is a little more poofy and they said they have very strict rules on garment bags. They cannot be any longer than 45 inches, so i was wondering what type of garment bag I can possilby get to fit those requirements? I'm hoping that the airline is understanding.