Dress Shopping is no longer FUN!

Yes, there is hope Courtney.... I spent way less than I thought I would spend on a dress (I went dress shopping capping myself at the $2000 price limit), but, I found a dress that sounds surprisingly similar to what you envision for yourself for $600. Yes, its not 100% silk, and its quite simple, but it looks like the dresses that I've seen in magazines that I am most attracted... I teetered towards some lace and bling which the dress I ordered doesn't have, but, that's what accessories are for isn't it? I want a mantilla veil which won't work with a super lacy dress anyways, and I will have bling in my bracelet. Keep looking, don't despair, it will surprise you when you find the one!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Courtney, I can sympathize for sure and I totally agree with you on Paloma, I bought one so obviously I love the line (mine was a more simple one, not QUITE as expensive, it's style 3906 - but it was the most flattering). One option is the Mikaela line (sp?) they are the sister company of Paloma and they are usually about $500 cheaper so it may fit into your budget. Some of the styles are almost identical but the material is satin which is not as expensive as the raw silk. Good luck, and keep looking!

I share your frustration Courtney. I have spent the past two days marathon dress shopping. My first round of dress shopping was about three weeks ago. I haven't found "the one" yet. One thing I have found that helps narrow down the dress selection process is to take digital photos of you in the dresses. Some of the dresses that look absolutley beautiful in person don't photograph well. You definitely want something that is going to photograph well because those photos will be on display for years to come.

The biggest roadblock in my dress selection is that I have a scar (2nd degree burn) on my chest, so I did not want to deal with a strapless dress and have to figure out how to cover the scar. Pretty much all of the dresses in the bridal shops are strapless. I was hoping to try on a dress that has an illusion halter neckline similar to the Maggie Sottero-Rio dress (Rio - by Maggie Sottero), but haven't found a bridal shop yet that carries these types of necklines for me to try on in my size. My only other alternative is to get a strapless dress and find a good scar cover makeup that won't rub off onto a white dress (which I haven't found yet). Hopefully I will find a dress soon because I need to start working on finding the bridal party dresses.

Good luck in finding your perfect dress. Post a pic to this site when you find it!

Hi!

You might have had a clear mental picture of the perfect wedding dress ever since you were five years old. On the other hand, you may have no idea what you are going to wear or feel strange about the idea of wearing white. The important thing is to relax, and remember that there are as many different kinds of dresses out there as there are different kinds of brides.

_____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton-Woods View Post
Sorry to hear about your current dress situation and now your house but I was bored popcorn.gif just cruising the internet and found these you might try.. didnt know what all you were looking for in the design just went off of the one from angelas style #... hope you find "the one!"... just keep looking... i know easier said than done.

David's Bridal - Allover lace A-line with ruched bust and beaded empire waist.

Alfred Angelo... Find the perfect Wedding Dress, Bridesmaid Dress, Prom Dress, Flower Girl Dress or Mother of the Bride Dress at Alfred Angelo.

Alfred Angelo... Find the perfect Wedding Dress, Bridesmaid Dress, Prom Dress, Flower Girl Dress or Mother of the Bride Dress at Alfred Angelo.

Weddings Gowns Gifts, The Knot
Wow thank you so much! I wrote those down, along with several others that are more in my price range & are trumpet style. Hopefully another try will give me more luck lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbride317 View Post
Soooo sorry to hear what a hard time you are having, Courtney!

I know when I bought my first dress @ David's Bridal for $350 (it was just a very simple, strapless a-line without a train), I got it because it FIT, not only me but also my budget, and my idea of what I "thought" I had to have for a DW. After a few months and looking at it in my closet a few hundred times, I began to have that "Ugh...I'm not so sure this dress is, or ever was, THE ONE". So, I broke the news to my mother (who had bought the 1st dress) that I was going to be purchasing another dress for myself, and wearing the one she got me for my AHR. At first she was mad, but then when she saw the $1300 Sottero & Midgley I wanted (one that had "all that jazz" you're talking about), and then I tried it on and had that "OMG!!" moment we all wait for, I knew I had made the right decision, and she and I both couldn't be happier.

Sometimes, you've just got to go with your heart, and if you have to cut something from your budget or downsize elsewhere to get the dress you adore, then maybe that's what you should do. I know you only wear it once, but it will be the most photographed, and sentimentally special article of clothing you may ever buy, you know? Another BDW member said somewhere on here that there are a few things you should spend the money on if at all possible: the dress, the rings, and the photographer. I agree whole-heartedly!

Good luck, and if you try on the Alvina Valenta or Paloma Blanca gowns, fall in LOVE, but still don't want to spend the money, maybe check out some of those sites that do designer imitation dresses for less?
Aw thank you so much. Everyone has help put me in a better mood. Thank God for this forum! lol. I guess the dress is one of the most important parts. I keep telling myself I only wear it once, but I never thought about looking back @ all the pictures. Very true...
I'm glad you found your OMG dress, even if you had to buy another one. That is why I don't want to just settle for something b/c I want my OMG dress. I guess I just have to try and search a little harder to find it.

i agree with starchild.dont get too bummed.i did,nt have that "this is the one" feeling.i did manage to find one along the lines of what i wanted and i felt nice in it but i did,nt get overwhelmed or anything.you know exactly what you want so i am sure you will find it but you either got to be patient or pay lots of money i think.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations, but if you aren't having a connection to the dress and it's not something you see yourself in your wedding day that you're going to love to look at in all your pictures then you shouldn't settle for it. Of course maybe you won't find "the one", but you will find a dress that you love and if that means having it made for you then that's what you should do. I hope things go well for you and that you can find that special dress that has a connection for you within your budget!

I say try anything. I thought I wanted a light flowy dress. I tried on every dress in the store in that style, and "liked" one. I went back a second time and said "I'll try whatever". Turns out I "LOVE" A-lines with a train. Who da thunk it!

Try several stores. Let them bring you something slightly different. How many different days have you tried shopping? I also suggest only bringing 1-2 people. Any more than that, and it's all about their opinion, not yours. Go with YOUR heart, no one elses.

Good luck! We'll all be waiting to know if you find the perfect one within your price range!