Anyone make your own OOT bags?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wilsoml2

• 299 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:41 AM

I'm considering sewing my own OOT bags, but I'm not sure if it'd actually save me any money. I like the idea that I can choose my own patterns. I found a great, simple pattern from Lazy Girl Designs:

Lazy Girl | Blog Make Our 1 Yard, 1 Hour Free Tote Bag Pattern For Last Minute Holiday Gift Bags

Has anyone tried this? Was it worth it?

#2 JOSIE

• 1,792 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:50 AM

WOW! That is impressive! I'm getting mine from discountmugs.com because I am not nearly that talented :)

#3 KittenHeart

• 3,103 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

I really considered it, that is a GREAT pattern thanks for sharing! I think I'll see how long it takes me to crank one out and decide from there... the thought of sewing 40-50 of them is scary though

#4 Lara

• 179 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

I've been thinking about this myself, but with so many companies that sell totes for cheap, I'm also wondering if it's worth it. Anyhow, I don't want to start too early with the OOT bags, as we've only got 12 people confirmed so far. Our STDs just went out a few days ago, so we should have an idea of numbers in the coming weeks/months...

#5 Quyen

• 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:12 AM

I bought mine from cheap totes (99c) and added my own personal touches to them

#6 hulagirlkim

• 50 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

I am thinking about making mine too! I don't think you are really saving much money but I like the personal touch and I would only have to make about 10.
              I am so lucky to be marrying my best friend ~ Kim

#7 Patti

• 555 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

Great site, but I got beach bags on sale at Walmart for $5.00 and only needed six since we decided to give one bag per couple.

#8 smith3576

• 290 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:40 AM

I don't think you'd save money or time, since they are SO cheap, unless you found a killer deal on fabric. Which is possible, especially with 40% of coupons and stuff at places like JoAnns.

I would do it because you want to and for the personal touch. But not if you are doing it just to save money, because I don't think you'll save much (if any) and the time would be significant.
                  We're married! Jamie

#9 Billisa

• 76 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Quyen
                    I bought mine from cheap totes (99c) and added my own personal touches to them
                    BLESS YOU!! I am from Canada and this is the first I've heard of this place! And they ship to Canada too...I'm thrilled. Until now I was going through DiscountMugs.com and was going to have to payb 105.30 US for 16 totes. Now even with shipping it won't be more than about $25.

#10 KittenHeart

• 3,103 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

This is random but I recently remembered paying for a Tote Bag sewing class last year I had a certificate for because it was cancelled due to an emergency. I went on Friday and got the pattern and material and all that so I'm finishing it up this Saturday and it's much easier than I thought and really good quality.

It's not cheaper though so I may just do this for the bridal party. Maybe I'll take pictures when I'm finished!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users