I already do some of these things, but I'm going to make an effort to do all of them.
Originally Posted by seaprincess
I just wanted to share my new endeavor....to eat clean. To start, I have never been a fan of traditional diets and the concept of eliminating or restricting entire food groups. If you choose that route, I am not judging, but my opinion is that it is not a healthy approach food and I have trouble with them. Then, in the last month, I came across the concept of eating clean and the Eat-Clean diet.
An excellent resource that outlines the concept is "The Eat-Clean Diet" book by Tosca Reno or Eat-Clean magazine....or you could Google it and figure it out that way.
Essentially, I have decided that my hubby and I are overdue to clean up our diets. So as of September 1st, we are committed to eating clean!
What this means for us is:
1) Eating whole foods, that have not been processed, or have been as minimally processed as possible (aka fruits, veggies, nuts, whole grains etc)
2) Increasing water to at least 2500ml a day (10cups)
3) Cut out the white - white sugar, white flour, white rice
4) Reducing saturated fats by choosing lean meat and most cheese (the cheese will be the toughy for me...mmm...cheese); no transfats
5) Eating every 2-3 hours, but having mini-meals rather than 3 square meals a day
The principles are simple, read labels, don't consume things you can't pronounce and eat a little protein, fat and complex carbs every meal.
Basically, it is basic nutrition without the crap from take-out, fast-food, or pre-packaged items...oh and no alcohol....DH won't cut out beer, but I don't really drink much anyways so when I do I will choose heart healthy red wine instead.
Wish me luck and I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on my progress and challenges!