Wedding gift guilt

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 blumenthale

• 242 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hi all-
    Is it okay to register for gifts or even expect gifts with a destination wedding? My guest are already spending money on their flights and hotels....What did you all do?

#2 Jess

• 4,455 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

I'd register because people want you to - but let them know that their "presence at your wedding is present enough" - put that on your website if you have one. This way, people who want to can buy you gifts still.

#3 tmemise

• 135 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

Me and my bride felt the same way. We told ppl if they ask "Being there is gift enough but if you wanted to give a gift then pls make it monetary" We've been together for over 10yr we didn't need any dinner plates or towels. lol

The Groom

#4 Hoosierfan

• 341 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

We decided to register since more than half of our invited guests are not coming and without a registry, I fear what my some of my family members would come up with for gifts. :) I think we'd end up with a lifetime supply of carved soaps from one of my aunts. I certainly don't expect those who are coming to get us a gift, but I know many will just by choice.
          http://www.whenismyw....a87ad6d9f7.gif Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

#5 cruisebride0410

• 178 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

I feel guilty about registering for gifts too, and definitely don't expect gifts from people who are attending, but I agree it's a good idea for the guests who can't make it. We definitely don't want them to come up with their own gift ideas!

#6 inspiredfyre

• 304 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:29 PM

I agree with everything said! However, even though I can't relate because it's just me and my fi in our wedding, we ended up doing an online honeymoon registry for our friends and family! People can actually register things like a romantic dinner, or snorkeling, or a spa treatment! Best thing is, is that the money can be put into any bank account, or split up in however payments you like! It's a perfect way to help you with things you really need, and give you some extra spending while you're on your honeymoon/dw! :) best of luck to whatever you decide, I don't think it's tacky to do a registry at all!

#7 sportsdog2

• 87 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

Good question. I did not plan to register, but a friend talked me into it. We are telling our guests that their presence at our wedding in Jamaica is gift enough. Some have asked about a registry, in fact, one guest has already purchased and sent her gift and our wedding is not until December! I was very careful to have a good price range on our registry, but also only include items that we could and will actually use. As my friend said, it's better to register for things you want and will use rather than receiving things that are not your taste. Our registry price range is $.99 - $149.99. We don't expect gifts from our guests, but wanted to include lower priced gifts for those who really want to give us something on top of paying to attend our wedding.

#8 josee

• 217 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

We do not exptect gifts from our guests and decided not to register. I like Sharon's idea though.

#9 ~*Lisa*~

• 2,287 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:50 AM

We have registered because even though people are coming, I think some of them will still want to buy us gifts. Also, we have lots of people not coming, so it's a good idea. Again, we don't expect any gifts, but I know that we will still receive some. Don't forget, if you're having a shower or something, it's a great idea to register for that!

#10 Scott-Pierre

• 456 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

We did the same as everyone else. We registered out of fear of what we could get and then just told our guests not to get us anything. Of course, some of them still did, and they appreciated the registry so they knew they were getting us something we wanted. Don't feel guilty! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users