How to Get Sand Ceremony Home

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 MexicoBeachBride2010

MexicoBeachBride2010
  • 280 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

For all you married gals...

How did you get your sand ceremony stuff home without 1.) having anyone in the airport dump it out or 2.) without the sand dumping out or having anything break? Another bride on my facebook forum wondered and I did too so I thought I'd ask it on here. We had heard the airports may not let you take the sand out of the country...even though we brought it with us.

Thanks!

#2 Islandbride2b

Islandbride2b
    • 198 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:10 PM

Thats a very good question, I hope we hear some answers back.

#3 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
      • 1,619 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by MexicoBeachBride2010
        For all you married gals...

How did you get your sand ceremony stuff home without 1.) having anyone in the airport dump it out or 2.) without the sand dumping out or having anything break? Another bride on my facebook forum wondered and I did too so I thought I'd ask it on here. We had heard the airports may not let you take the sand out of the country...even though we brought it with us.

Thanks!
        I only got as far for the sand not falling out. I'm getting the heart shape one with a bottle like cover, so once we are done with the sand ceremony we just put the cap on and we transfer it back to the room. I still haven't figured out how to bring it home without it breaking. And I didn't know sometimes they wont let you being the sand back. Even if it's colored sand?
        http://i1002.photobu..../img-239-1.jpg http://i1002.photobu....0/img-21-1.jpg
        Tracy and Mike

Married and in love all over again!!!!!!
        Happily ever after...

#4 DGG

DGG
        • 275 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

I had wanted to do something carefully to keep the sand in place, but unfortunately my wedding planner just put paper towels to fill the vase and placed it on the side, so the sand blended a little. I decided just to pack the paper towels tightly, then put it in a ziplock bag and wrapped it in bubble wrap. I sent it home with my sister and she took it in her carry-on, and although it did blend a little, it still looks pretty good.. She didn't have any issues with customs - if you used colored sand and it's a wedding momento, I can't imagine customs taking it away..

I found something online about using candle wax to seal it -
          Sand Ceremony, Wedding Sand Ceremony, Sand Ceremony Set, Sand Ceremony Sets

Here are the instructions -
          After the festivities, fill the rest of the main sand ceremony vase with the remaining sand, layering colors to create a design. Leave 1/2 inch from the top of the vase.

Melt clear wax or candle gel using a double boiler or microwave. Gently, pour the wax or gel on the top of the sand, leveling it even with the vase.

When the wax dries, you may leave the sand ceremony vase as it is for a keepsake. If you do not want to see the wax, place a circle of coordinating cloth around the top of the vase and secure it with a rubber band. Then place a ribbon around the rubber band. Use a scrap of cloth leftover from the veil, bridesmaid dresses or groomsmen handkerchiefs and ribbons from the bridal bouquet for a special keepsake vase.

#5 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
          • 1,619 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

DGG,
            Thanks alot for the great information!!
            Tracy and Mike

Happily ever after...

#6 ClintsGurl09

ClintsGurl09
            • 660 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

DGG, thanks for the helpful information.

#7 MexicoBeachBride2010

MexicoBeachBride2010
              • 280 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by DGG
                I had wanted to do something carefully to keep the sand in place, but unfortunately my wedding planner just put paper towels to fill the vase and placed it on the side, so the sand blended a little. I decided just to pack the paper towels tightly, then put it in a ziplock bag and wrapped it in bubble wrap. I sent it home with my sister and she took it in her carry-on, and although it did blend a little, it still looks pretty good.. She didn't have any issues with customs - if you used colored sand and it's a wedding momento, I can't imagine customs taking it away..

I found something online about using candle wax to seal it -
                Sand Ceremony, Wedding Sand Ceremony, Sand Ceremony Set, Sand Ceremony Sets

Here are the instructions -
                After the festivities, fill the rest of the main sand ceremony vase with the remaining sand, layering colors to create a design. Leave 1/2 inch from the top of the vase.

Melt clear wax or candle gel using a double boiler or microwave. Gently, pour the wax or gel on the top of the sand, leveling it even with the vase.

When the wax dries, you may leave the sand ceremony vase as it is for a keepsake. If you do not want to see the wax, place a circle of coordinating cloth around the top of the vase and secure it with a rubber band. Then place a ribbon around the rubber band. Use a scrap of cloth leftover from the veil, bridesmaid dresses or groomsmen handkerchiefs and ribbons from the bridal bouquet for a special keepsake vase.
                Love that idea!!! thank you so much!

#8 bahiabride2010

bahiabride2010
                • 997 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:57 PM

Some people on the forum have talked about using a frame by Umbra! I think that's what we're going to use. You pour the samd between the glass and it has space to put a picture in it as well!

#9 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
                  • 1,619 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by bahiabride2010
                    Some people on the forum have talked about using a frame by Umbra! I think that's what we're going to use. You pour the samd between the glass and it has space to put a picture in it as well!
                    I love this idea!! do you have a website yet you'll be ordering from?
                    Tracy and Mike

Happily ever after...

#10 Peachy~Girl

Peachy~Girl
                    • 173 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

I posted this somewhere before but were using a hourglass! The sand can mix all it wants with no harm lol and were gonna use a colored sand

Click the image to open in full size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users