Photo

Americans in Cuba? At all?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#11 Jamaica0619

Jamaica0619
  • 475 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:20 PM

I could be wrong, but the way I understand it is that the restrictions that have been relaxed by the US government only applies to Americans who came over here from Cuba. They are allowed to apply for a visa and visit family/friends on a more frequent basis - every year instead of every three years. I have a friend whose family is Cuban, and I think that is what she explained to me. She was actually able to visit her family via an eductional visa - she went to Cuba to present a paper on on a Cuba author at an international conference.

There is a careful distinction between able and allowed - I agree. But I am with Yari I would rather wait until I can legally visit the country. My friend has told me that it is absolutely beautiful there.
    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. ~ Albert Camas

#12 Outdoor_girl1010

Outdoor_girl1010
    • 657 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Jamaica0619
      I could be wrong, but the way I understand it is that the restrictions that have been relaxed by the US government only applies to Americans who came over here from Cuba. They are allowed to apply for a visa and visit family/friends on a more frequent basis - every year instead of every three years. I have a friend whose family is Cuban, and I think that is what she explained to me. She was actually able to visit her family via an eductional visa - she went to Cuba to present a paper on on a Cuba author at an international conference.

There is a careful distinction between able and allowed - I agree. But I am with Yari I would rather wait until I can legally visit the country. My friend has told me that it is absolutely beautiful there.

This is in the works it has not been approved yet, its in the works.
      Cory & Jennifer
      March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

#13 bride2010

bride2010
      • 424 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:09 AM

Interesting thread...thanks for the information.
        http://i817.photobuc....ogotest1-3.jpg
        26 Booked + Bride & Groom
        "Before the light I will rescue, and then we'll begin to start it all over again" ...pete murrayHappily married to my best friend...

#14 *kellis*

*kellis*
        • 330 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:17 AM

You learn something new every day, I now know that I can't go to Cuba. And of course now that I know that, I want to
          http://davf.daisypath.com/Pw5um7.png
          (Formerly "Future Mrs. Kt Ellis")

I love being a wife!

#15 jk1101

jk1101
          • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

Reading this got me very curious so I went on the US Government website. If you read the "fine print" it sounds like you might be able to go for a wedding, but you'd have to apply in advance...they seem to be very serious and strict about travel there.

Religious Activities – Persons traveling to Cuba to engage in religious activities that are not authorized pursuant to a religious organization’s specific license. Licenses authorizing transactions for multiple trips over an extended period of time are available.

Cuba

It looks so beautiful in everyone's wedding pictures - I would love to go there too!

#16 LIW

LIW
            • 197 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Dmitri_Markine
              I am seeing a lot of Americans every time I am in Cuba. You have to remember that it's USA who has issues with Cuba. Cuba doesn't have any issues with USA. You will be greated with a smile and respect. Expect a lot of anti-american jokes against your government though. :)
              Most travel through Mexico or Toronto as these routes seems to be the cheapest options.
              All you have to do is ask the customs agent not to stamp your passport. They actually know this and won't do it,but you should still ask. It's very safe and thousands go through this every year. I've never heard of anyone ever having any problems upon return.
              Cuban customs doesn't stamp passports. I've never had my passport stamped by them.
              http://www.weddingco.../rbe6xizbgt.png

38 people plus bride and groom coming to Cuba!

#17 itsfinallyhere

itsfinallyhere
              • 573 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

No Cuba does not stamp passports. When we went I was really disappointed that I didn't get mine stamped and had to pass it back and request that she stamp it. She told me they usually don't do that. I told her It was a new passport and I was dying to get a stamp placed in it! Laughing she did it for me and my son no problem! My FI and other son went to another agnet and she did not stamp theirs.

#18 bholthof

bholthof
                • Banned
                • 323 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

Hmm... I'll have to pass this information on to them - it would be awesome if they could go .... and you're right, its definately a distinction between able and allowed...

Maybe I can convince them... after all, he's the only one without a Canadian passport. And if they fly from Canada it shouldnt be a problem. I think the major prohibition is on spending money in Cuba. They can go, but he technically cant spend any money there... so if they put everything in her name, they should be fine.

I mean, its great on one hand that major American tourism companies haven't been able to get a hand hold on Cuba - but it definately sucks that its not open to normal Americans who just want to enjoy the country.
                  21 people + Bride & Groom booked!!

http://tickers.Ticke....8e20/event.png

#19 sunstarsmoon

sunstarsmoon
                  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

I am in the same boat, my daughter married an American, my FI and I love Cuba and have been there many times. As much as I wanted to get married there, I decided it was not worth the hassel for them.
                    July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#20 ashey063009

ashey063009
                    • 604 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

American citizens can fly through Canada to Cuba, and the Cuban Officials don't sign their passport. I have met quite a few Americans (while on vacay in Cuba) that did it this way. However, flying straight from the states (unless you are a Cuban citizen now-- thank you Obama!) is out of the question.

When in doubt, contact the Cuban consulate. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users