Sign in to follow this  
bholthof

Americans in Cuba? At all?

So my friend's husband was born and raised in the states...moved to Canada a while ago and now owns a Canadian passport. It does state his birth place on the passport.....he should be ok...shouldn't he. I've left several msgs at the cuban consulate but have never received a phone call back.

Should be no problem. Cuba will let Americans in, the issue is if you return back to the US with a Cuban stamp on your passport that the US might get antsy.

If he travels with his Canadian passport there are no issues.

This is some good info, when I first came to this site I noticed how many people get married in Cuba and I hadn't even thought of it as an option (apparently for obvious reasons! lol)

I would be scared though to go and worry about not being able to get back to the US or something. Which probably wouldn't happen but I'll explore Mexico & the Caribbean more until its on the up & up to visit!

Also I think many vacations spots seem scary to some people but after you have been there you get desensitized -which could be a good & bad thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'osh View Post
So my friend's husband was born and raised in the states...moved to Canada a while ago and now owns a Canadian passport. It does state his birth place on the passport.....he should be ok...shouldn't he. I've left several msgs at the cuban consulate but have never received a phone call back.
Yeah, there will be no problem - Canada has no problem with Cuba. However, if you do go visit the states a few months after you get back, they might ask what you did there - but it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info...I guess if he is planning on going to the states any time soon he can forgo the stamping of his passport in cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossip girl View Post
Should be no problem. Cuba will let Americans in, the issue is if you return back to the US with a Cuban stamp on your passport that the US might get antsy.

If he travels with his Canadian passport there are no issues.
Cuba doesn't stamp passports...Unless you tell them you were in Cuba, they'll never know.

Even better if they don't stamp. I thought it was one of those things where sometimes they do sometimes they don't. Like the US. I only randomly have my passport stamped when I enter the United States. It is like 1 in 5 times.

Even if your passport doesnt get stamped they will still know you are coming from cuba b/c you have to have your flight number on your customs form and also have to tell them where you are coming from. I wouldnt suggest lying to the customs people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Nadine* View Post
Even if your passport doesnt get stamped they will still know you are coming from cuba b/c you have to have your flight number on your customs form and also have to tell them where you are coming from. I wouldnt suggest lying to the customs people!
Well, since you'd have to take a flight from either Mexico or Canada, and can't make a connector you wouldn't be lying when you say you're coming from Canada or Mexico.

Basically, in order for an American to go to Cuba, they would have to cross the border into Canada or Mexico, either by driving or by flying, then take a completely separate flight into Cuba. There is no way for customs to track that.