Photo

Are you getting your stay for free or getting any other perks?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 yesther

yesther
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

So, I decided to go through destinationweddings.com and got a travel agent assigned to me. While I've been somewhat pleased with her work (she was a little snarky at times to my family when they were asking for quotes) I was fine with everything else.

However, now I'm hearing of stories where people get guaranteed upgrades, their stay for free etc. if they guarantee X number of rooms. I think I can safely guarantee 10-15 rooms in Mexico, but was told by the TA that "perks" are that the guests can go through her, and that I have the peace of mind of having someone to reach out to should problems arise.

While I do think those are benefits, I am left to wonder whether there are other travel agents that will give me a better deal, discount my trip, get part of my weding package discounted, guarantee an upgrade during my stay etc.

Has anyone had experience with this that can weigh in?

Thanks!!!

#2 BachataBride

BachataBride
    • Banned
    • 9,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

We recieved a "free" trip when we had 16 people book. All she had to do was pay the taxes (we gave it to DH's sis). This was the tour operators promo (Sunquest) though, not our TA.

#3 yesther

yesther
      • 65 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

Thanks Bachata Bride! I'm hoping that my TA will offer me something like that, it seems strange that we are getting no perks!

#4 BachataBride

BachataBride
        • Banned
        • 9,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

You should DEFINITELY get something!!! Keep asking around...find people with the same tour operator, etc!
          Good Luck!!

#5 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 8,569 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

I contact the TA's thru this website and got some great upgrades and free site visit. Tammy has been amazingly helpful to me as a bride and with guest bookings.

There are some other threads on this site where other brides had dissapointing experiences with destinationweddings.com. If you use the search tool at the top menu you can find some other threads on the subject.

#6 jerzygirl85

jerzygirl85
            • 342 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

i get a free room after 25 rooms are booked with my ta. At the moment, i think i may miss that requirement by 3 rooms!!!!! In addition to that, my vip guests (moh, bm, etc.) can get free upgrades.
              ~~Joanna~~

Bride & Groom plus 36 booked!

http://tickers.Ticke....7ca2/event.png

#7 yesther

yesther
              • 65 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

Ugh! It makes me feel like I am such a sucker! GRRRR my blood is boiling! (Well, kind of) Another agent I am speaking to said that the incentives were based on what the resort themselves offer. i.e. if we book a certain number of rooms and the resort says that we can get our room for free, then that offer would be extended to us. Aughhh what a headache!

#8 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 8,569 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:28 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by yesther
                  Ugh! It makes me feel like I am such a sucker! GRRRR my blood is boiling! (Well, kind of) Another agent I am speaking to said that the incentives were based on what the resort themselves offer. i.e. if we book a certain number of rooms and the resort says that we can get our room for free, then that offer would be extended to us. Aughhh what a headache!
                  I am sure this is true, incentives are based on what the resorts will do.

However, I would research who has the best relationship with the resort. I am sure some travel agents do more business and have a better relationship than others.

I would focus on that when selecting your TA.

#9 NaM

NaM
                  • 2,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

We are getting free perks as well.
                    With 10 rooms booked we get a free cocktail hour and 2 nights free for bride & groom
                    With 20 rooms booked we get a free reception and 5 nights free for bride & groom
                    With 25 rooms we gets free unlimited private events and 7 nights free for bride & groom

All of our guests also recieve $300 credit-$150 toward the spa and $150 toward golf if they book 3 nights and buy one get one free ATV tour or swim with the dolphins.

And this is through what the resort offers. Out TA has been very helpful in telling guests this so they book extra nights and get their perks as well as help us with ours.

#10 yesther

yesther
                    • 65 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

Wow NaM! Do you mind me asking what resort you are having your wedding at?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users